Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2014 7:47:31 PM EDT
I'm just curious what others have as far as a trigger pull on their GP 1975. I posed the question on another forum I frequent but I don't think anyone had direct experience with this particular rifle.

I already had a few AK platform guns and wanted to buy something else so I went to a local store and picked up a new GP 1975 with the wood furniture. Overall it seems pretty well built. I did notice that the trigger pull is much longer than that of my WASR-10 and AES-10B. Upon further inspection it looks like the cut in the front of the trigger is longer allowing the trigger to be pulled basically all the way to the rear of the trigger guard to the point where the trigger spring is just on the end of the trigger as well inside the receiver.

Can anyone confirm if this is typical? My WASR-10 and AES-10B triggers stop well before they would touch the rear of the trigger guard so I wanted to check if this is normal. My understanding is the WASR and AES are on Romanian receivers while the GP is on a new US made receiver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are asking whether a longer cut out in the receiver can permit more over travel of the trigger, the answer is that it can. Whether it will do so depends on the shape of the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty much what I am asking. I probably won't get a chance to bring it to the range till next week or the week after but wanted to see if anyone had a similar situation with their GP 1975 before I potentially run in to a problem. JG Sales had some pics of one on their website that looked like it had a similar cut so I assume I'm not the only one with a receiver like this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty much what I am asking. I probably won't get a chance to bring it to the range till next week or the week after but wanted to see if anyone had a similar situation with their GP 1975 before I potentially run in to a problem. JG Sales had some pics of one on their website that looked like it had a similar cut so I assume I'm not the only one with a receiver like this.
View Quote

You are not the only one...I have a '75 like yours with the same "issue"......whether or not its a problem...we will see as I have not shot this AK yet.  My WASR "trigger hook cut" is shorter and does not allow the trigger to be pulled to the rear of the guard...as this one does.  Keep us informed after your range trip.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Should the excessive over travel be a problem the solution isn't complex. Buy a double hook trigger and file the bottom of the right hook until the trigger moves far enough that the disconnector reliably catches and holds the hammer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
After doing a fair amount of research I believe I found the issue.

Nodak Spud used to make a NDS-3 economy receiver which was supplied to Century for the GP 1975 builds. It was apparently made to specifically fit the Romy G kits. The NDS-3 had a long trigger cut which was reported to have issues using the Tapco G2 trigger group. Hammer follow and double taps were reported. The new receivers on the GP 1975's are Century made and still have the long trigger cut so they must be fashioned after the Nodak receivers. Tapco themselves recommend not using their trigger in these receivers.

So, I went in to my collection of spare parts and took out an old trigger group I had laying around and installed it in the GP. The over travel was reduced and the trigger is no longer hitting the rear of the receiver.

I don't foresee any issues now but will see when I hit the range. If I do have problems I may look in to the double hook trigger as mentioned and cut a more shallow slot on the other side to prevent the over travel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot the '75 for the first time today...I had no issues with the G2.....not a lot of rounds...maybe 100
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I was able to get out to the range recently with the gun. The trigger worked fine so I'm good there. I did however have a multitude of FTE's which were driving me nuts. After getting home I did some looking online and someone advised soaking the bolt. So I soaked it in some wd-40 for a few hours. Then I figured I'd take the whole bolt apart just to make sure there wasn't any gunk in it. After taking it apart I was looking at the extractor and thought it looked somewhat rounded. I had a spare from some parts I picked up a while ago so I compared a fresh one to the one from the gp75. The one from the gun seemed pretty worn in comparison so I swapped it out. Hopefully this fixes the FTE issues. Only other minor issue is the top handguard has some slight play to it so I want to see if I can figure out a way to get it tightened down a bit more but it shouldn't affect function in any way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it just the wood handguard...or does the entire gas tube have play in it?  Sorry to hear about your FTE issue....that new extractor should do the trick!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it just the wood handguard...or does the entire gas tube have play in it?  Sorry to hear about your FTE issue....that new extractor should do the trick!
View Quote

It's the whole gas tube. I'm thinking about picking up one of the gas tube springs from K-Var to see if that does the trick. Otherwise it's not a huge deal. It just has a slight amount of play.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's the whole gas tube. I'm thinking about picking up one of the gas tube springs from K-Var to see if that does the trick. Otherwise it's not a huge deal. It just has a slight amount of play.
View Quote

These rifles are not built like a watch. Some play in the piston tube is normal and that's much better than having it too tight. That has an adverse effect on accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
So range update from today. Still having problems and it's a mix of FTE and FTF problems. The new extractor didn't seem to solve the problem. I think it's an issue with the bolt. It may have too much slop in the carrier. Every so often it would hang up on the receiver when chambering a new round and it did seem to affect ejection as well as I don't think the ejector was always riding 100% in the groove of the bolt because of the slop. It appears the bolt was getting pushed up slightly when chambering the round and it would hit the front trunion on the upper part of the groove on the left hand side.This is getting very frustrating. I should have just bought an Arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I would try a different, but properly headspaced bolt. Man I am sorry about your issues, I know its a nice AK otherwise!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered a different bolt carrier and bolt so we'll see what happens. I think the parts that came with my GP have seen a fair amount of use which may explain the excess movement.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Good....well keep us up to date on your findings....I hope this fixes your AK!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I ordered a different bolt carrier and bolt so we'll see what happens. I think the parts that came with my GP have seen a fair amount of use which may explain the excess movement.
View Quote

AK bolts are not necessarily interchangeable. They should not be swapped without checking the headspace. Firing the rifle with improper headspace can result in damage to the rifle and/or injury to the shooter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't realize it'd been so long since I had made this thread. Just wanted to update the thread with my range results.

It looks like I have a functional rifle now after replacing all the innards. New bolt carrier, bolt and swapped out the trigger group with one more fitted to the trigger cut in the receiver. I had just hit the range today for another round and had pretty good results. Just had one FTE in 100-120 rounds which could have been the ammo or mag. I would like to test it out with something other than Tula ammo but that's all I have on hand right now. So things are looking good but it's disappointing that I ended up with another Century gun that needed some sort of post purchase work done to it. This will probably be my last Century purchase.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top