Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2010 3:24:54 PM EDT
How are the Century Arm built AMD-65? Do anyone here own one?  It’s supposed to be on a FEG receiver, what does that mean exactly?   Thank
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How are the Century Arm built AMD-65? Do anyone here own one?  It’s supposed to be on a FEG receiver, what does that mean exactly?   Thank

FEG are the original Hungarian Receivers. However I would stay away form anything Century they do not have a good reputation. Look around on this Forum and you will see.

good luck
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know, but they're on sale at centerfire for $399 shipped, I ordered one last Friday, we'll see how it goes. I picked up the centerfire Bulgarian AK-74 and after shooting it, I'm kind of doubting it was Century built. I have a feeling all of these newer AK variants sold with the Century stamp on them are actually being built elsewhere because the quality in my AK74 is nowhere near the shit quality in my Century built CETME.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Will you please post a review!  When are you expecting to get her? Thank
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll post a review after shooting it. Centerfire hasn't processed my order yet, I think they had a long weekend for the holiday because they're usually really quick at processing orders. Hopefully it gets here by friday or next monday, then I'll strip it down, inspect all the parts, make sure nothing is canted, check headspace (always check headspace on a Century rifle), and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you sure the Centerfire AMDs are Century?  I spoke with Centerfire on Friday and was told they were coming from TGI.  I plan to pick mine up either today or Friday.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The picture they show has the original barrel so that's good. $399 is a good price. I paid over $500 for mine a while back.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you sure the Centerfire AMDs are Century?  I spoke with Centerfire on Friday and was told they were coming from TGI.  I plan to pick mine up either today or Friday.

I'm not sure if it's Century, but every other AK variant Centerfire has sent me was from Century, so I just made an assumption.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Its a TGI build, i just called and placed an order today
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I just picked up my order today.  They are TGI builds.  They look nice and the price is right.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
What the flip? Why are they moving so slowly? I put my order in on Tues. and still have not even gotten my tracking number. The customer service seems great, but all this waiting is driving me crazy. I guess I can wait, I waited this long and good thing too, $399.00, what a deal. However I still don't know what I'm gonna do about mags. I would like to use only 20 rounders, but will need 2 more US parts and since no one makes floor plates. I guess I could get some waffles with US parts from Kvar, but that price is so hard to swallow. What is everyone else doing?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I also placed an order on Tuesday and I noticed my credit card just got billed today so I hope mine is here by Friday.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What the flip? Why are they moving so slowly? I put my order in on Tues. and still have not even gotten my tracking number. The customer service seems great, but all this waiting is driving me crazy. I guess I can wait, I waited this long and good thing too, $399.00, what a deal. However I still don't know what I'm gonna do about mags. I would like to use only 20 rounders, but will need 2 more US parts and since no one makes floor plates. I guess I could get some waffles with US parts from Kvar, but that price is so hard to swallow. What is everyone else doing?

Since I found out it was a TGI built gun, I went over to TGI's website to see if they could be found for cheaper. I didn't find them there cheaper, but I did find that TGI is selling these little guys. I'm pretty sure they count as two 922(r) parts, but I'm not positive because the front grip isn't the actual handguard.

Can anyone confirm if the front pistol grip counts as a 922r part?

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
It arrived today and I'm not too impressed with it, but it's not bad at all. I'm not much of a photographer, so here's my attempt at showing it.

First pic is how it comes, one Tapco 20rd mag which I'm not too fond of, and the rifle, that's it. I'm not 100% sure where this rifle was made, but I have a pretty good idea.

All parts appear to be new with matching numbers except the pistol grips which look like they've probably seen combat duty. The rifle's finish appears to be a really good parkerizing job, well it looks like parkerizing anyway. It could be like whatever finish is on Saigas that looks really nice when new, but scratches easily; I'm not sure yet, I've only had it for three hours.

The pistol grips are different colors, front one is gray, back one is green, but you can't really tell from my crappy pictures.

The stock is REALLY tight, you press the button and have to exert a lot of force on it before it starts to fold. I thought this might be an issue, but the FFL I picked it up from had FEG AMD65s on the wall and they were all the same as mine, so I guess that's just how they are. This particular FFL also checked the sights for canting before I went into the store because they said they've had a lot of issues with AKs and canted sights (most likely WASRs), so they wanted to be sure it was good before I paid the transfer fee; these guys are a great bunch to deal with.

There are a few imperfections though, none that I really give a shit about, but they're worth mentioning in case any potential buyers are anal when it comes to stuff like this.

A few rivets are dinged:

There's scratches all along the edges, probably from poor packaging when shipped.

The muzzle brake's scratches are a little deeper than other scratches.

No pic of the dustcover, but it has more scratches than anywhere else on the rifle. I have access to a sandblaster, I do my own parkerizing, and my AKs get used/abused like a beat up old truck, so these minor imperfections aren't too big of a deal for me. Other buyers might not be too thrilled though.

The trunnion rivets on the inside of the receiver just below the locking shoulder have been purposely chiseled. I think it probably has something to do with mag clearance, I'm not sure. You can kind of see it in the top of this pic, just a little bit to the right of center:

Last minor imperfection is the safety selector has a notch in it which is supposed to fit into the selector stop, but doesn't quite line up properly.

The only thing I don't like about this rifle's build is this:

The muzzle brake is welded on, but it's not welded on straight. If you're looking directly at it, you can see it was at the 1 o'clock position when it was welded on. Not a biggie, I'll fix it later, but it's still a bit of a hassle.

As of now, I don't particularly like this rifle, but I'll have to wait until this weekend to see how well it shoots. I didn't like my Centerfire AK74 one bit when I first saw it, but within hours after first shooting it, I had a second on the way. Hopefully this thing ends up like the 74.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#14]
slomofo, You should have a good working AK there.  I have the exact same one and love it.  I wouldn't worry about the scratches.  I don't think anyone that has ever bought a $400 AK was concerned about the factory finish.  I have spraypainted mine to cover some down to the metal scratches.  I changed out my plastic grips for wood ones that I found on the EE just because I like the look better.  The mark on the rivit in the magwell looks exactly the same as my rifle.  I am guessing that when they milled the receiver from single stack mag to fit double stacks the milling bit probably bumps the rivet.  I have only about 700 rounds though mine so far and haven't had any function issues.  I like the tight folder.  Hopefully it will stay that way and not wobble like an underfolder.  

The concern you have about the muzzle brake will probably be able to be corrected in the first few hundred rounds.  I have read about the welds coming loose and mine did also on my second range session.  I filed the base of the barrel extension to make sure mine was true to the rifle bore before I had it permenantly secured again.  Get some good mags and have fun.  I have seen the AMD for years and never really cared for them either until I shot mine.  It is so much more accurate than the WASR I traded for it.  David
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#15]
It looks about the same way mine arrived.  So far mine has been and excellent gun, with the exception of the muzzle break weld breaking at about 200 rounds.  
The only weld at 6 o'clock did not look solid, and the muzzle break was not threaded on all the way when welded.  I called and emailed TGI and got no response (waited 3 weeks).  I ended up welding it back on myself.  

Even with the above problem,  I really like this gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine arrived today.  The grips were gark green plastic, looked like a dog chewed on them.  Finish was pretty good with the usual nicks on the corners.  Muzzle brake was lined up fine, although I am sceptical of the tiny weld holdig it on.  My main concern, and only one , is the pin through the reciever (above the magazine release , I think it's the hammer pin) protrudes about 1/8".  I know a local guy who builds AKs so I'll have him take a look at it.  The folding stock is firm but not overly tight and functions well.  I'm happy pending a range trip Saturday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/eric98/amd65001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/eric98/amd65002.jpg

Edit - took a brass drift pin and hammered it down with 3 good whacks , but when I rack it back a few times the pin rides back out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, I figured out it's the shepard's crook which was slid in under the trigger pin and that's how it was left.  I can't find a diagram how it is supposed to be installed.  Anyone know how this is supposed to go in ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of info in this link.  Diagram you are looking for is about half way down the page.  Post #18.  David

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33108
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy crap I just fixed it, what a PITA !  Hope to shoot this sucker in the am. (going surfing first, dawn patrol, good waves-woohoo)
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I got mine about three months ago from a Dunham's sports. Also, a TGI - FEG build. I was able to look thru several to pic the one I wanted, though there was very little difference - all were put together seemingly well. I wasn't terribly impressed with the way it felt or looked but had convinced myself that I wanted to give an AMD-65 a try.

A few hundred round later, between myself and a buddy, I LOVE THIS THING! In the AK market, I've also got an Armory USA receiver'd Hungarian kit build, from the best I can tell, and I Draco that I picked up on a group buy. I love my old kit gun, though if I exercised some hindsight, I might have purchased two AMDs instead of the Draco. I shoots fine and I bought it knowing its usage was limited. Still, for the same price, the AMDs are fantastic.

Poor cell phone pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/paddling_man/guns/ak/IMG00027-20100516-1611.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/paddling_man/guns/ak/IMG00024-20100516-1607.jpg
....................^^^^ Toes ^^^^.................................................................................................^^^^ Toes ^^^^
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Just now picked mine up from the FFL, man it looks great. I'm completely satisfied, very few surface scratches, all matching, no cant, but same squished rivet. Mine came with the Tapco instead of the Promag, which I think is better. There was a guy picking up his AK also that he bought off the Broker. I was like "Whoa" Where is the Swiss Army knife? Too tactical for me.
If you are considering an AMD, get one, it's awsome. Won't be going to the range today though, working on the honey do list.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got back from shooting mine.  Great fun, suprisingly accurate.  Only problem was with Tapco mag as supplied.  Several FTFs, but no problems with Aim Surplus 20 round mags. Tiny weld on muzzle brake still holding.  Will report when it goes flying.
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I own the Century version.  I have had it for several years, it is my favorite AK.  Looks a lot nicer than many of the much vaunted TG ones I see posted around, no problems.

I prefer it to my Arsenal, but I like that it is Hungarian and has a folding stock.

Does not have the sling loop on the rear of the receiver.

Don't be afraid to buy a Century AMD 65.

Link Posted: 11/30/2010 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#24]
My Century AMD was a headache and had numerous problems, the biggest being the gun shot several feet to the right at 50yds. The problem was the end of the barrel was cut non-perpendicular to the bore and the threads had been cut at an angle. I had to cut the threaded part of the barrel off, re-thread and re-crown it, then reattach the front sight. I also had to replace the Century-made brake because it was 1/4" shorter than a standard brake and I would have been under 16". I took the opportunity to relocate the FSB while in surgery.

Here's a pic of the end I cut off on a TAT. Notice the tilt.

The issues with your TGI are MINIMAL.

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top