Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:31:52 PM EDT
Well, I received my AMD-65 from Aim Surplus today.  Not too impressed so far.  The finish is not too great and the weapon is a bit dirty.  The grips are a bit gummy to the touch.  I would consider this a very used weapon.  So far everything looks like it functions okay.  I'm going to rip it apart and clean it this weekend before I take it to the range.  Maybe a day at the range will get rid of this buyers remorse.  

This is nothing against Aim.  They advertised it as refurbished so I know its not a new rifle.  I guess I just expected a bit more.  I would buy from Aim again.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me reiterate.  My post is nothing against AIM.  I've bought hundreds of dollars of merchandise from them, and plan to do more business with them in the future.  This was just my first impression of the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a new AMD-65 yesterday from a local shop (local showroom of a VERY large online retailer).  I decided that the peace of mind I would get from actually purchasing a rifle I had the chance to handle, look over, and pick and choose between multiple AMD's was worth the small amount of extra cash over what I would have spent at an online retailer.  There was a VERY SMALL amount of rust on the folding stock, but nothing some rust block spray and very fine steel wool didn't take care of.  The finish of the actual rifle was very good, and I left happy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Surprisingly, my AMD had absolutely no rust on it at all.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The only rust on mine was on the folding stock, and it was a non-issue after 30 seconds.  No worries.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm planning on getting one from AIM and changing the grips (SAW pistol grip and Crapco handguard + vert grip in front).  This will also add 2 US compliant parts to allow milsurp mags.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Sir:

Who built your AMD that you got from AIM?  It it a century build?  TGI build?
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sir:

My understanding is that it's a TGI build on an FEG receiver with the magwell dremeled out similar to WASR-10s.  Sounds good on paper and the price is right, but there are other things wrong like the barrel having an extension and a amd brake as opposed to a one piece which would make the barrel slightly shorter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sir:

It's the FEG receiver.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm planning on getting one from AIM and changing the grips (SAW pistol grip and Crapco handguard + vert grip in front).  This will also add 2 US compliant parts to allow milsurp mags.

you'll need one more part on an FEG

1 trunnion FR
2 trunnion RR
3 stock
4 pistol grip
5 receiver
6 bolt
7 carrier
8 piston
9 barrel
10 handguard

edit: n/m i'm not sure if the rear trunnion/block/tang counts and the brake MAY count :-/
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What do you mean, allow milsurp mags?  The AMDs from AIM have many US compliant parts.  Mine has a Tapco trigger for example.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean, allow milsurp mags?  The AMDs from AIM have many US compliant parts.  Mine has a Tapco trigger for example.

The FEG ones only have us fcg and mag
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
So if I whittled my own pistol grip out of wood I could then use milsurp magazines?
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So if I whittled my own pistol grip out of wood I could then use milsurp magazines?

A better solution would be to pick up a few of these.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up mine today - the cheapo US made POS they included for a magazine damn near needed a hammer to get in or out of the rifle. The grips were a bit gummy. It appears to be mechanically ok, but there are sone cosmetic stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#15]
The more and more I hear, the happier I am that I paid a few extra bucks and picked mine up in person rather than ordering online.  I had 5 to choose from, and while all had some minor (in one case major) cosmetic or assembly issues, I'm very happy with the one I ended up with.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The more and more I hear, the happier I am that I paid a few extra bucks and picked mine up in person rather than ordering online.  I had 5 to choose from, and while all had some minor (in one case major) cosmetic or assembly issues, I'm very happy with the one I ended up with.

same here. 2 or the 6 or 7 i looked at had MAJOR issues and the one I selected had a poor finish but was fine mechanically

i went to US wood today for 2 more parts

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Where did you get that wood set? Ironwood?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

EE, and yes
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

EE, and yes

More details please.  I'm still new to this game.  That a very impressive looking rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EE, and yes

More details please.  I'm still new to this game.  That a very impressive looking rifle.

Buy the wood. Dye it stain it. Modify a gas tube. Install

Edit: all the dye instructions are on ironwoods site. There are topics in this section covering the gas tube.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks––I was just hoping that there was a "turnkey" mod that had a different drop-in gas tube.  No worries
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Potential issues with your TGI AMD-65; crooked muzzle brake, canted gas block, very stiff stock release, improperly machined magazine guide rails in receiver. Take out the bolt carrier and sight down the bore to see if the 2" extension/muzzle brake are concentric with the bore. Take out the gas tube and look through the gas piston hole toward the muzzle to see if the gas block is on straight. Oil the stock release mechanism if it's extremely difficult to operate, and don't forget to use the release button when opening the stock, or else you'll damage the lock. The mag guide rails may not be fully cut for the 30-round mag - adjust with a small flat file. You may see gouges on the polymer mag from the rails.
My TGI build had all the above problems, and I have taken care of all except the gas block, which in the opinion of a pro builder is not severe. I just got through grinding off the weldment and removing the barrel extension/brake and replacing it with the Tapco one-piece unit. It's now tight, timed, straight and ready to be welded. I also added a rear sling loop to mine, which came without it. After this, I'm finally ready to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I picked up mine today - the cheapo US made POS they included for a magazine damn near needed a hammer to get in or out of the rifle. The grips were a bit gummy. It appears to be mechanically ok, but there are sone cosmetic stuff.

Wood grips or polymer? If wood, rub them out with fine steel wool and Ballistol. The Hungarian wood has no finish - it's just oiled. The Ballistol cleans and preserves the wood. If polymer, wipe them down with Ballistol on a piece of terry cloth (washcloth), then use another cloth damp with water to finish.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you'll need one more part on an FEG

1 trunnion FR
2 trunnion RR
3 stock
4 pistol grip
5 receiver
6 bolt
7 carrier
8 piston
9 barrel
10 handguard

edit: n/m i'm not sure if the rear trunnion/block/tang counts and the brake MAY count :-/

Rear trunion is not countable. A muzzle attachment is countable unless it is permanently attached (welded). Since AMD-65s all have a welded brake to achieve the required 16" barrel, the muzzle attachment is not countable because it has become part of the barrel. Even if it's a USA part, it doesn't help you with the compliance count. The typical AMD-65 with FEG receiver requires a 3-piece USA FCG and 3-piece USA magazine. In this way it retains the most original parts. With a ND-Spud receiver, you can have an imported magazine body with USA follower and floorplate.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I did not get mine from AIM.  But it is a TGI gun on an FEG.  Slight cant.  Amazing finish inside and out.
Perfect fitment, probably the smoothest action of any AK I've ever handled - even compared to my many well worn in AK's.  
Stiff stock release.  Wiggly extension and break.  Timed correctly.  

The grips are the dark faded grey plastic and mine are nicked up.  I paid $608 for mine 5 days ago.  (was not listed price - listed price was $700.)  
Bore was spotless and showed clean, prominent rifling.  

Has no problem with mags of any variety or capacity.

I need to do something with these grips, but short of that... I'm pleased with it.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here. 2 or the 6 or 7 i looked at had MAJOR issues and the one I selected had a poor finish but was fine mechanically

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/stealthcrf/amd/amd-65001.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/stealthcrf/amd/amd-65003.jpg

you did a nice job, I was wondering if the furniture could be changed.

Link Posted: 5/16/2009 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/stealthcrf/amd/amd-65001.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/stealthcrf/amd/amd-65003.jpg

you did a nice job, I was wondering if the furniture could be changed.

can't take the credit, another member here fitted them and stained them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#28]
How do you modify the AMD-65 gas tube to accept the wood upper?  PS:  Nice gun!  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How do you modify the AMD-65 gas tube to accept the wood upper?  PS:  Nice gun!  Thanks

you don't, you take a standard gas tube and then cut it to length and flare the end out round w/ appropriate socket to fit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#30]
is anyone having issues with standard mags locking in?  I noticed that I am having a hard time getting the front lip on a yugo 30 to catch and rock into place.  anyone know a way to address this?
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#31]
yep, mine wouldn't lock in any  (and on the off chance it would , you could dislodge them easily)

I replaced the mag catch w/ an e. german one from akbuilder.com and then had to use a punch and beat the bottom of the receiver higher as it was not square. Still a ton of wobble but now MOST lock in and I don't get FTFeeds

eta: between the crappy finish, the brake weld cracking, the FTF, and poor mag fit... This rifle is a piece of crap. I think I've finally got all the bugs worked out to make it reliable, but still need to refinish it. I wouldn't buy another TGI amd if I had the choice again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm planning on doing the Ironwood rear grip and hand guards. I also want to swap out the gas piston with a US made one. Do I get a standard AK piston or an AMD65 piston that akbuilder has? Also, is it difficult to swap?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
So the US made compliance parts on these are a Tapco trigger group and a Promag magazine for a total of 6 parts.  The muzzel brake is welded on, so you only really need a total five US parts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So the US made compliance parts on these are a Tapco trigger group and a Promag magazine for a total of 6 parts.  The muzzel brake is welded on, so you only really need a total five US parts.

That's correct. I talked to the people at TGI, they said that these guns come in already assembled with a magwell that only accepts single stack mags. TGI just swaps out the FCG and opens the magwell. It's the closest think we will ever get to a Hungarian made AK.
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Took mine out to the range yesterday and was impressed. The trigger was very light and no trigger slap. (Tapco does make good stuff.) The accuracy was much better than my Romanians. And has to be on of the most stable folding stocks I have ever shot. Also liked a Promag magazine for the first time. They were much better than the $10 AK mags I bought for the FEG.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top