Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2009 3:53:44 PM EDT
I was wondering about the quality of TGI guns.These are built in Bulgaria and the magwell is opened up at TGI.Just wanted some opinions on TGI.Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Me, too. Anyone have any info on these guns?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Where ya'll finding them at?
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Local gun store has a couple. Wood stocked. US receiver.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
curious as well

anyone have one ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 3:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Shot the TGI Bulgarian AK74 on Monday..
Blonde wood stock looked nice, minor dings.
DCI receiver excellent as expected. Kit looked about new- great rifling and finish.
Interesting that all bulgarian and EG mags fit perfectly, but the Promag that came with the gun had to be fitted....go figure.
Riveting work was sloppy.
Shot it with Bulgarian and Russian 52? gr military corrosive ammo. Gun functioned perfectly. Gun was about zeroed as received. No problem getting good zero at 100 yds. Front sights about centered- no cant.
Came with a nice OD soft case. No sling or cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the review. I've got one on the way from peach state guns. It was $659 shipped on Gunbroker. I figured I couldn't build one much cheaper than that. Even if I have to do some minor tweeks and refinish it, I think it's well worth that. They're not being made in Bulgaria. The parts kits were imported and they're being assembled here on the Nodak receivers by TGI (Tennessee Guns). The good news is they use the original Bulgarian barrels, so they should shoot well. The bad news is, they aren't 922 compliant without the crappy US made mags. The only US parts in them is the receiver and 3 piece fire control group. The AK74 brake is tack welded on, and the bayonette lug has a weld bead on it, so they can get by with those US parts and three more in the US made mags.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
i picked mine up yesterday shipped from aim $699./ the rivet job just plain sucks. dont know what they used for a press. may be a pipe wrench. the brake was tac welded . easy fix.the rifle was full of grease and demilling debris..got metal slivers ( lots) just trying to clean it up. the park job on the reciver is light & marred up. its to bad they did a rushed poor  job. cuz this was what looks like a #s matching kit in like new cond. all but the top cover matched  its # is 9004 would be willing to trade it for one that belongs to this rifle #7380.  kinda disapointed in aim .i had called & asked about the quality of this rifle they said they were  very good. i work hard for my money and dont like the fact that tgi would pump out crap that hard working  people are going to hold up to there face & pull the trigger of a firearm of questionable
quality
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Send it back.  $699 is a lot to pay for poor quality.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
i have decided to keep it from the hands of monster builders & give it some needed help & a good home. i have the tools to fix all the issues .   kits are drying up. & cost are up on kits & parts. not much to pick from now.. still would like to trade for the top cover if some one  has it  9004 for 7380
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered one from Atlantic Firearms, I would say the same about the rivets, the rifle looked like it was put together hastily, but a little bit of paint, and voila, good as new, I treat my rifles likes tools, so a couple of scratches are not biggey, as well as some ugly rivets.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
It appears the Bulgarian AK-74 parts kits being used are really nice, the DCI receivers are (always) really nice, but the TGI build is pretty shoddy.  In other words, they are taking good parts and assembling them in a crappy-but-functional way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I had to send mine back to TGI.  It wasnt ejected right.  I was having cases stuck in the fire control group.  When the shells did leave the gun ejection strength was inconsistent.  On 3 occasions I had a casing get jammed between the piston and the left side of the dust cover.  It ran great with the dust cover removed, Im assuming TGI replaced or tweaked the ejector as the extractor and spring seemed to be working just fine.  I even put a different bolt and carrier from another Bulgy in my TGI gun with no significant improvement in performance.

The rifle is home now, but I wont see it for many months.  If I can find someone back home to test fire it I will post the results.  The rifle looked good to me, I hope TGI fixed it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If you stick with the plastic furniture AK74's you should do alright.

The ones with plastic furniture appear to be made up from new or close to new parts kits. The build job on these is fine.

The wood ones are another story. Those kits seem to be much more used and assembly is marginal at best.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]
dont do it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
dont do it.

Have two with the plastic furniture and have put over a thousand rounds plus through both. They cycle like a champ and hit to POA. They appear to have been built from new or like new kits.

I know of two others who have bought the plastic and they have also had no problems.

Care to explain your comment????
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Links to where we can find these builds in question?

I know that Atlantic has them listed but any other places?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
CENTERFIRE SYSTEMS
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#18]
AIM listed them today.  k-var black stock/handguards.  Probably will sell quick (?)
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
the plastic stocked guns are built by a much better builder.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top