AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/1/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT
This is from guncohref=www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
I've heard rumblings from friends and read a thread or two here and there over the past few days that BATFE has decided not to approve ANY MORE barrels for importation for "non-sporting" rifles like the AK.

I searched www.atf.gov and couldn't find the ruling.

If this is true, it's very bad news for home builders.

I also wonder if it means that complete weapons will have to have US-made barrels now.

Can anybody shed some light on this by posting the actual regulation, if any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akron Armory
YOUR INFORMATION is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Bob "WolfsburgBob" Williams
Please visit ... www.AkronArmory.com
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This is from gunco
www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
I've heard rumblings from friends and read a thread or two here and there over the past few days that BATFE has decided not to approve ANY MORE barrels for importation for "non-sporting" rifles like the AK.

I searched www.atf.gov and couldn't find the ruling.

If this is true, it's very bad news for home builders.

I also wonder if it means that complete weapons will have to have US-made barrels now.

Can anybody shed some light on this by posting the actual regulation, if any?

Quote:

I just read the thread over there.

How* can the ATF just ban a barrel? Wasnt that the whole point of torch cutting recievers, all you're left over with are non-regulated parts?

*Edit: Well, not how i guess. The they can do whatever they want i suppose, but what in the hell is their justification?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
how the fu@k do these guys get away with just making this sh!t up?!!!!  what if the DMV just DECIDED to not issue drivers license to people with glasses? or raise the driving age?  shouldn't something like this have to go through congress?

i will hold off on any more personal gun purchases and just buy parts kits for all the guns i may want in the future.  i really hope that bill in congress to remove the "sporting clause" in the GCA passes!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Mabye an edit to the thread title is in order..

I meant like ATF BANS KITS or something, not just 'this sucks'.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You certainly didn't think they were going to be mailing out auto-sears to the contest winners did ya ??

This is targeted directly at the home builder ... Just like they targeted the home based FFL holders in 1993 ... Sux ..  IMHO

NOT !!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You certainly didn't think they were going to be mailing out auto-sears to the contest winners did ya ??

This is targeted directly at the home builder ... Just like they targeted the home based FFL holders in 1993 ... Sux ..  IMHO

NOT !!

This is targeted at every builder.

Apparently the 'for repair or replacement' not being followed finally pissed them off.

What i want to know is what does this mean for people with kits in hand, or builders with kits in queue? What about completed rifles?

If you can only use these barrels to repair or replace, maybe US recievers need to come with a POS 'barrel' that can be replaced now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is no proof that this is true.

I looked at the atf web site, and there is something about paperwork for imports there.

Gunsnet "staff" tends to say stuff. And when you ask them to provide some proof, or other evidence, they just say "I can't divulge my source", or "don't blame me if you don't believe me".

Sounds like a kid I knew in the playground when I was 5.

This isnt from gunsnet, its from places like akron armory, centerfire, orf..
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
you gotta be kidding me!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quote:

Until I see the BATF say it, its just another scare tactic being used by a vendor.

Same thing they do all the time.

I guarantee you the price of parts kit just went up over on their site.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd like to see Bob or Todd Grove comment on this. I'm buying more kits if this is true.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#11]
thats moronic, that just cripples our 2nd even more, it doesn't do anything to effectively fight illegal firearm ownership. its just another attack on the AK. *Sighs* time to get the emails and phonecalls rolling out.

like previously mentioned, my only hope now is that the sporting clause is removed via the bill.
that bill would fix this whole mess.

who is the best person to be in constact with in order to voice our opinons on this.
*sighs* anti-gun laws aren't liberal, they are bi-partisan.

for effect, a quote from the when will the shtf thread.

Quoted:
hopefully soon, this country needs a good patriotic cleansing

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]

I'm buying more kits if this is true.

Good idea, assuming the ATF doesnt 'clarify' that its illegal to build with them.

Dont they already say barrels are for 'repair and replacement'? Have they just not enforced this or what?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Brutal_Attack,

Good job getting this over here, as I wanted to but have been SLAMMED with phone calls...

I've had conversation with my people and they confirm what we have feared for months.

This is TRUE,..and this is bad.

Bob

If it is true, it just put a WHOLE lot of people out of business.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]
wouldn't the kits be grandfathered in if we are already in possession of them, in part because they would lack any ability to prove when or where we bought it. kind of like the awb exception for grandfathered in kits/recievers and all that jazz after 94?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
wouldn't the kits be grandfathered in if we are already in possession of them, in part because they would lack any ability to prove when or where we bought it. kind of like the awb exception for grandfathered in kits/recievers and all that jazz after 94?

They werent banned outright.  The BATF will not approve anymore shipments into the country.  Calm down.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I hope to God they are grandfathered!!!  This makes the Clinton ban look like the good ole days!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn! I am going to be pissed if this turns out to be bogus. I guess I'll just have to live with the 3 kits I have now. I really wanted an AK74 but I'm low on funds and decided to order a polish AKMS.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Damn! I am going to be pissed if this turns out to be bogus. I guess I'll just have to live with the 3 kits I have now. I really wanted an AK74 but I'm low on funds and decided to order a polish AKMS.

If it turns out to be true, you could end up making a nice little profit if you decide to sell them!

I suspect that this will only help Arsenal's business and they'll raise their prices even more.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#20]

This all I could find on the ATF web site!  

Agency Information Collection Activities: Proposed Collection: Comments Requested - Action: 30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms and Ammunition and Implements of War (6/30/05)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They werent banned outright.  The BATF will not approve anymore shipments into the country.  Calm down.

right, which is what i hinted at. he asked if it is likely they would make it illegal for already imported kits to be built and i guessed that they wouldn't because they would be grandfathered in.  

but as for calming down- no thanks there bud. i like my outrage over my 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#23]
When I started the thread over at Gunco I wanted to be sure to phrase it in the form of a question, with me not knowing what to think either.

Yesterday, a couple of my FFL buddies had been talking about this and I kind of dismissed it.

Then I got to work this morning and just surfed a handful of websites where I saw some conversations beginning about it, so I thought I'd put it out there in the form of a question to somebody who might know. The boss is already off for the weekend so I got to go to a few sites I don't normally try to visit during business hours. Sorry I didn't provide the links; I was kind of surfing in a hurry between taking phone calls and trying to do my work.

ATF's website doesn't seem to have anything, but that's not unusual. The site has been several days if not weeks behind in the past.

I tend to trust the importers that they know the straight scoop; I'm sure they're the first to have been notified.

I do wish we could get some more details, though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a link to another thread at Gunco with some more info.

Sounds like more phone calls are being made.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11398
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#26]
This has been coming for sometime as well. There were rumbling in the State and Justice departments over imports.

Yes, they can ban from importation anything they like.  They do not need an act of congress or anything.  It can come from the BATFE/Justice department or executive order klike the Chinese ban.

This IMHO is really what Feinstein and McCaine were alluding to when they talk about gunshow loop holes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Build your safe queens now..."replacement parts" are going to dry up and get very expensive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If you think this is all hype from a seller to increase thier kit price, you should read the other forum that is linked, ( lois at centerfire says, that the long awaited , AMD-63 kits will now< if they come in at all< will have thier barrels cut , just like recievers. I see no reason to doubt 2 manufactuters about the new rulings and how it will effect their business.  The only people who I see will benifit will be the barrel manufactures( if they are smart enough) the see that there  is a big market for US made AK barrels.    I wonder if the guys at Global trades didn't see this comming, which is why thier new video( not yet released) says that it shows you haw to build an AK from all new parts( my guess drilling the barrels for gas block, and sights) preparing for new barrels?????? I guess it is time to circle the wagons  boys, the indians are about to attack..............  
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Bummer, and I just sold a barrel for $35.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Build your safe queens now..."replacement parts" are going to dry up and get very expensive.

All I know is the AK line will now no longer be a cheap alternative.

The days of "I can buy an AK, 10 magazines, and 3000 rounds of ammo for what you bought your single AR for" might be long gone.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Well , I would prefer to look on the Bright side of this .

While it may put some of the smaller builders out of business , and raise the price of
building guns , it will NOT be the end of AKs !

There are plenty of U.S. barrel makers who will be able to profit from this.
Home builders will have to pay more , but may end up with a better rifle

Actually it puts us closer to MY ideal of a 100% U.S. made AK which is
STILL a cheaper alternative to the AR.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#32]

why?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the nice 4th of July gift, ATF!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I still dont belive this!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it's just the begining. Bush said he would sign the AW ban if it made it to his desk.
Bush really pulled the wool over some eyes. He waited to turn into his father AFTER he had our votes.I think the whole imported parts thing is going to go by the way side also.But don't fret, capitalism is alive and well and i think someone will pick up some of the slack.3 more years and we get to try someone new.

I think this BATF ruling is part of this  
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4636117.stm
So are rifle builders aiding the spread of WMD? I bet BATF thinks so. Makes you think........

I hate to say it but we HAVE lost more freedoms under Bush than any other pres. Whether or not he was responsible for it.

OH well at least we still have the ballot box..........for now.

GlenR

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think it's just the begining. Bush said he would sign the AW ban if it made it to his desk.
Bush really pulled the wool over some eyes. He waited to turn into his father AFTER he had our votes.I think the whole imported parts thing is going to go by the way side also.But don't fret, capitalism is alive and well and i think someone will pick up some of the slack.3 more years and we get to try someone new.

I think this BATF ruling is part of this  
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4636117.stm
So are rifle builders aiding the spread of WMD? I bet BATF thinks so. Makes you think........

I hate to say it but we HAVE lost more freedoms under Bush than any other pres. Whether or not he was responsible for it.

OH well at least we still have the ballot box..........for now.

GlenR

+1

Yeah, but many people would still vote for him because of his fake Texas accent (FYI, he's of the same blue blooded elitist Yankee background as Kerry) and the fact the Democrats can't seem to nominate someone worth voting for.  Unfortunately, too many Americans seem willing to give up their constitutional rights all in the name of "feeling safe" from threats at home and abroad.  OK, I'm off my soapbox for now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Happy INDEPENDENCE Day!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I was just getting ready to build mine!
gahhhhhhhhhhh!
Oh well, no time to wait for the funds to appear, time to sell a few things and dip into my grocery money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I still dont belive this!!!

I am hedging....yes, I ordered a Polish kit(I was going to anyway), but...my other source tells me the BATFE told his importer they were getting ready to loosen the import ban!  He has a meeting with his importer Monday, and said he would give me more info then!

HUH?          
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
gahhhhhhhhhhh!
Oh well, no time to wait for the funds to appear, time to sell a few things and dip into my grocery money.

potatoes are cheap, AKs are forever, thats what I'm going to do right now is scrape up some cash for kits
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
gahhhhhhhhhhh!

potatoes are cheap, AKs are forever, thats what I'm going to do right now is scrape up some cash for kits

Potatoes? Nooo, not the the Dan Quayle spelling!  Actually, I like your thinking on this.  I may have to do the same.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
gahhhhhhhhhhh!

indeed my friend.
i wish you luck.
I just sorted my change, I have $90 in quarters, nickels, and dimes.
Time to deposit that, sell off my paintball gun and buy two or three parts kits.
I'll get the flats and jig later!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#45]
This freaking sucks
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#46]
tag
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Jeepcreep--"I am hedging....yes, I ordered a Polish kit(I was going to anyway), but...my other source tells me the BATFE told his importer they were getting ready to loosen the import ban!  He has a meeting with his importer Monday, and said he would give me more info then"!

Now isn't that interesting? Monday huh? Monday is a holiday so maybe tuesday?    
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn...... Centerfire already pulled all the cheap AK kits from their website and raised the prices on the AK kits with dark bores. Here it comes fellas..... hold on tight (to your wallets).

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Until I see something firsthand from ATF I am not even going to worry about this.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Huh, looking everywhere for a ruling Internet/ATF site - nothing! I'm starting to think this is just internet GOSSIP....Kind of like that bullshit ORF is going out of business  

Show me the ruling .....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top