AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/4/2005 7:11:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update, Templar.

I agree 100% about them being the Colt of the AK world...I love my Colt, but I just don't understand Colt's policies, and I don't understand Arsenal's policies either. I'm glad I got my SAM-7SF when I did.

It seems to me like this year's SHOT show wasn't all it was cracked up to be... seems like the only big news came from FN.

This will just make it easier to save my money for my new SIG 551 project.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, as I like the Arsenal products, I no longer feel I want to support them, ooops I forgot im not a BIG distributer im just a little man, who needs my support??. Thanks Templar for the update, I think Arsenal lost their Best salesman.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

In NEW RIFLES, Arsenal Inc. will be offering these products:

SA-M7 Classic in no-ban threaded muzzle style.  I don't know if they will be limited run rifles like the post ban Classics were.  MSRP on the no-ban Classic is $1,200.00.

SA-M7 A1 and A1R with the AK-74 style front sight assembly and new Bulgarian flash suppressor.  These should be standard production items.  MSRP on the M7A1 is $980.00, M7A1R $1,060.00.

SA-M7 SF side folders with Galil style safeties.  These were a limited run of 200 rifles, with no more apparently planned.  MSRP was $1,3500.00.

SA-M7 SFC is a rifle with the AK-104 gas block on a milled receiver and SA-M7SF right side folding stock.  The barrel extends beyond the front site and appears to be smooth, not threaded.  A limite of 40 rifles due Spring '05 will carry a MSRP of $1,500.00.

SA-M7 SFK are "Krinkov" style rifles with a short gas system, using a milled receiver, the same side folder and Galil safety that the M7 SF rifle uses, with the 16" barrel sticking out significantly from in front of the front sigth assembly.  Think IMI UZI Carbine or HK 94 style, where to make minimum legal length of 16", you have a funky barrel sticking out.  Limited run of 40 rifles will be available Spring of '05.  Arsenal is busy making these in the "real life" configuration with the standard short barrel and "go-fast" position on the selector for some high-speed-low-drag guys who work for the US Gov't.  MSRP for the SA-M7 SFK is $1.800.00.

SAS-M7 Classic is the clone of the Type 3 milled receiver underfolder with the proper milled buttstock struts.  Limited to 200 rifles and the MSRP on the SAS-M7 Classic is $1,300.00.

As far as I'm concerned, they are way over priced, just like Colt.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I say f#$k Arsenal. They're way overpriced for what they're offering, and if they don't want to cater to small gun shops and individual consumers like us, screw them all the way back to Bulgaria.

I understand the need to produce "ban compliant" weapons for Castroite satellite states such as New York, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't put the effort into offering side folding AK-74s and SAM-7 rifles. They're going to shoot themselves in the foot in the long run, but apparently there are enough idiots out there that will still buy their products, so I guess they don't have to care.

What concerns me though for folks like ORF, InRange, AK-USA, etc., is that Arsenal of Bulgaria controls K-VAR, which currently is the sole source for Bulgarian parts of all sorts (Krink, AK-74, etc.). The only thing else out there are VEPRs and Saigas which can be converted to a few things. There's nothing else out there for us to import quality parts, since the Russians and Chinese can't or are unwilling to fight the bureaucracy of the US Govt to give us AK components (whether it's parts kits or "sporter" rifles). This may have ramifications on the talented gunsmithing industry that has sprung up because of our stupid gun laws. I'll wait and see what happens before I speculate any further. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal back tracks on their decisions.

In the mean time, let's hope we see some "Saigas" with AK-107/108 gas systems in the near future

themao
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
www.k-varcorp.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=2032 I know this will not matter but I posted some very unhappy coments in there forum.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I wont be buying an Arsenal rifle............if they have policies like that, and keep up this "Limited Run" stuff, they may very well run themselves out of business.............I think I will roll my own version..............Thanks for the update Templar
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I guess I wont be buying an Arsenal rifle............if they have policies like that, and keep up this "Limited Run" stuff, they may very well run themselves out of business.............I think I will roll my own version..............Thanks for the update Templar

I was just about to comment on the "limited run" nonsense myself.  If they can make a limited run, they can obviously make as many as they want!  They're shooting themselves in the foot here, and I no longer  plan on purchasing any of their products.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm.............Limited Run=jacked up prices........Arsenal rifles are sweet, and the quality is top shelf, but I think I will save my money and build a clone on a stamped receiver. It might not be the most authentic version, but it will go bang when I pull the trigger, and be much cheaper in the process..........    
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
i was wanting sam-7a1 but at that price i would rather get a fal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
shame to hear templar...  I still want to find one of their single stacks..  I think that will be my only way to get into a milled receiver..
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Bastards.  And I agree with TRS, the prices are rediculous.

I hate to think this, but I believe they are PURPOSELY restricting the numbers of no-ban rifles they make for the sole purpose of jacking up the price and justifying it with the whole "When supply is fixed, and demand goes up, prices have to go up."

Just the thought of that makes me sick at my stomach...
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a shame, Arsenal Inc has really gone down the tubes.  The only thing worth looking at is the SAM-7 which is still around $600.

I guess they have let the name "Arsenal" go to there head.  For these prices you can pick up a NIB Polytech Legend.

Polytech Legend>Arsenal Inc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Also, bear in mind that the prices that I posted were MSRP, "manufacturer's suggested retail price"....that's not necessarily what you're going to pay from a shop or from FAC or Lew Horton.

The problem is that most places are selling new rifles like the SLR-105 at MSRP.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the update. This totally sucks,  I had my heart set on a Arsenal AKS-74 this year.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 2:37:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Well. I talked to Templar at DeGoff's yesterday before I read this and I told him Arsenal had become Colt...wow, glad other people think the same. I also told him I will not be buying any more arsenal crap and from  now on I will be having Chris at AK-USA build ALL my AK projects. Lucky that I have about six or seven kits at home waiting to be built. At those prices it is NOT more expensive to have Chris build you a rifle that you know was built just how you want it built. I did not like Barbara Boxer or any of the other freaks in congeress telling me what my gun must look like, and I will be dammned if I will let arsenal tell me what my gun will look like either. Yesterday i went looking arsenal SLR105 at DeGoff's but ended up with Glock35 instead and I will NOT be buying ANY Arsenal products any time soon after these news. Unlike Templar, I will URGE you to vote with your checkbooks and let arsenal go to HELL with their overpriced rifles, perhaps if thier sales go down the tube then they might listen.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like Arsenal Inc has a little like Enron to with this limited run BS to jack up prices.  Looks like the builders are going to stay busy because Global can't be trusted so it seems as though you have no other choice than rolling your own.  Oh well, I may buy another AR or maybe a couple of WASRs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Disappointing, yet not suprising.

Arsenal got greedy, and they got greedy quick. When they first started out, their philosophy was to build a quality product, at a fair price and they were very accomodating to the small dealer. This was at a time during the ban when they were the only show in town for a reasonably priced, high quality, production AK. They were #1 in my book and I have bought many of their rifles. They were selling water to "thirsty people". Once they realized the demand for their products and the cash started flowing, they got greedy, said FU to the smaller dealers, and didn't care.

One thing I have also realized is their lack of customer service to the end user. After owning many of their products and having to call them a few times for legitimate defects, I realized how lousy their customer service was. It was nothing short of pathetic, they dont want to hear it.

I will post this once more at the risk of being repetitive:

Quoted:
Arsenal is capable of putting out a nice rifle. Over the past couple of years, I have purchased more than several of their rifles beginning with their first ones (S/N's under 30). Quality was outstanding. My most recent purchases, a SAM 5, and a couple SLR105's showed a drastic downturn in quality ranging from canted front sight posts (FSB was tapped wrong), I had this on two of my rifles., to improperly fitted FCG's, lower handguards rattling because the lever couldn't engage the notch in the barrel because it was cut too deep.

Anyone can make mistakes, but what I find unnaceptable is when I call Arsenal and they "insist" the front sight post is "in spec". Guess what I did? I paid to have it fixed.

I called arsenal again on a 105a1 with other issues. I spoke with George. His first words were "we didnt even build the rifle" Getting a RMA was a real pain. Guess what I did? I paid to have it fixed as it was less of a hassle. I emailed Greg at arsenal a month ago regarding my dissatisfaction and got no reply.

I wouldn't even compare them to Colt, that's giving them too much credit. Arsenal has made me a believer in the custom AK. If you want to spend good money on an AK, get an inexpensive AK, and send it to a reputable builder.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#22]
D@MN , this is bad JuJu.  Yesterday I picked up the SLR-105A1 I bought of the EE and was impressed with it.   I was really looking forward to the sidefolder .  Extra glad I'm having Bulgie AK74 wood and plum kits being assembled by CMP Armory, guess I ought to get a folder kit and get one built .

Arsenal =
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#23]
This is what happens when you have only a few distributors of a limited availability product. Price gouging and politics come into play. In the AR world, you can get receivers and parts from a variety of vendors at competitive prices (unless you go with custom SPR stuff).
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#24]
It's sad to see Arsenal turning their back on smaller dealers and trying to jack prices through the roof.  Word of mouth and the internet is what got their company going and is the same device that can bring it down.  Sorry to hear they screwed you Templar.  I will no longer suggest that people buy Arsenal's when they ask about AK's.  Lets see how a year of bad publicity and pissed off former customers reflect on their bottom line.  I do not believe they can survive with piss poor customer service and this limited production crap.  Either their going to manufacture correct rifles for a competitve price or they will be history.     I love American capitalism.

Templar you provided more customer service and good publicity for Arsenal than the company itself.  They will miss you in the long run.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#25]
This really sucks for the AK community, I personally won't be affected as I roll all my own.

I think it does say something about Lew Horton, he is willing to support the AWB. He must beleive that another AWB is coming. Maybe he thinks that they may change the law and limit the sale of the the weapons, thus he would be stuck with non-compliant rifles. Or more likely he got a really smokin deal from Arsenal so they could get rid of these neutered parts...

Come on FAC, write a big o fat check to sway this thing. Harlen what's your take on this?

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bastards.  And I agree with TRS, the prices are rediculous.

I hate to think this, but I believe they are PURPOSELY restricting the numbers of no-ban rifles they make for the sole purpose of jacking up the price and justifying it with the whole "When supply is fixed, and demand goes up, prices have to go up."

Just the thought of that makes me sick at my stomach...

There is a little bit of truth to that, I'm sure.  That's marketing though.  Arsenal Inc. never really thought the ban was actually going to go away, and they are still trying to adapt.  Getting parts and rifles from Bulgaria over to the USA is also a real headache.

Also, bear in mind that the prices that I posted were MSRP, "manufacturer's suggested retail price"....that's not necessarily what you're going to pay from a shop or from FAC or Lew Horton.

Can't buy from LEW unless you have a FFL.   FUCK LEW.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#27]
THANK GOD!!!!
FOR OHIO RAPID FIRE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Templar, that is some rotten news.  I sort of understand why Arsenal might not take special orders from a small shop, but to drop you as a distributor all together?  Seems only fair that you should be able to obtain these factory direct like the other two distrubitors.

I hate that Arsenals decided to keep producting AWB compliant weapons.  For the do-it-yourself guy this may not be bad.  But for someone like myself this is terrible.  I would have to buy the rifle, pay for shipping, pay for transfer fee, pay to ship it back out, pay for additional parts, pay for labor, and return shipping.  This can turn a $600 rifle into a $900 one real quick.

The MSRPs are also absurd.  Paying over a $1K for a milled AK in any configuration is just too much.  The long barreled Krink for $1800 is silly.  The 2005 Arsenal rifles listed that I'm remotely interested in are the following.

SA-M7 Classic - MSRP $1,200.00.
SA-M7 A1R - MSRP $1,060.00.
SLR-108 - $650.00.

The SLR-108 is reasonably priced IMO.  I would like to get one of those but I doubt I will wait until this fall.  As for the other two, I would only be interested in these if I could cut that price by about 20%.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

SA-M7 Classic - MSRP $1,200.00.

Rember how they said the Sam-7 classic was limited production due to no more parts?

I guess they lied.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Guess my dream of a 74 sidefolder is gone.  Templar, you are a good man and I think you did the right thing.  $1,800 LP for some of these items?!?!?!  WTF.  They're getting way too big for their britches.  

Actually, there is a trend here.  I really wondered if Arsenal was going to do for us as I had my name on the list anyway.  However, I had a discussion with a small dealer in my area last month and we discussed the Arsenal situation.  He was with them from the beginning and helped to promote Arsenal products back when Arsenal was nothing.  He bought direct and everything was fine, everybody did OK.  Then one day they tell him see ya, you are not big enough!  Talk about shitting where you eat.  

And Arsenal then turns around and goes to swine like LH just to get a big check.  My take is if this is any indication of their financial condition they may already be half gone.  Anyone knows quick run limited production is risky business and they seem too ignorant to cater to our market.  

Arsenal: Get out your crayon and write this down....., <THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT>  

DC
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe this is a good omen for Global Trades USA?
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Jeez, Templar, I had no idea Arsenal had slammed the door in DeGoff's face the way they did. I understand that they have a bottom line to worry about, but alienating people who are working to their benefit is no way to go about it.

Relatively speaking, American Kalashnikov enthusiasts are a relatively small group. It looks like they've really, really underestimated the damage that bad word-of-mouth can do. They've always been a bit uncommunicative and I can live with that, but this pretty much takes the cake.

Like Colt, they do make a fine product. But after they've sold all the no-bans that Lew Horton is interested in buying, they're going to wonder what happened to their customer base. I seriously doubt if Lew Horton gives two shits about what happens to Arsenal after they get what they want from them.

All it would take would be for someone like ORF  to come out with an equivalent stamped receiver and Arsenal would find themselves up the proverbial creek in very short order. It would be ironic if K-Var ended up carrying their business as a whole, selling parts to facilitate other people's builds.

I've always rooted for Arsenal. It took some brass to set up in the United States to get around all the import bullshit. But I really have to question the long-term wisdom of their actions here.

One thing is very clear, Templar -- you've been a better friend to them than they've been to you. They may ultimately come to realize that, but the lesson will likely be a costly one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I posted the following to the KVAR (Arsenal) forum, but wanted to copy it here as well:

"It seems that Arsenal, Inc. is no longer doing business with some of the smaller shops that helped build their success in this country.  From what I understand Arsenal will now only offer their products through Lew Horton and FAC distributors and will be catering their product line toward POST BAN rifles (not NO BAN) and extremely expensive small run boutique offerings (i.e. runs of 40 rifles with MSRP's in the $1500 range).  The trend seems to be toward higher prices and less innovation for what has been an outstanding product produced by a company with strong ties to the hard core gun enthusiasts that buy this sort of rifle.

Personally, I own a SA-M7-S and just a few weeks ago added a $1250 SA-M7-SF to my collection.  Both rifles were purchased within 60 days based ENTIRELY on the excellent information provided by Templar (the former moderator of this forum) who works for one of the small distributors that were recently cut out of the supply chain.

My point is this: I don't buy rifles based on Lew Horton ads in Gun List or Shotgun News.  I buy based on personal experience and the expert advice of trusted enthusiasts.  My 2 Arsenal rifles are the DIRECT result of feedback and information provided by Templar.  

I am sorry to see that Arsenal, inc. is turning it's back on the very people who seeded their success in this country.  I plan to take the only action in my power to act upon; taking my money eslewhere.  I would rather spend my AK funds with high quality builders who believe in listening to the people who matter most.  

I'm sorry to see Templar resign from this forum, but I support his reasons for doing so.

UD"
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had my eye on a SA-M7SF at my dealer's. I was trying hard to justify the price - I guess I'll just hold off. Having just bought a Vector underfolder, I think maybe I'll channel that money towards a DSA Para Carbine, or maybe more NFA toys.  Damn they sure are sweet though...
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I still think Arsenal is sitting on a buttload of post ban parts that they don't want to see go to the trash.

I was excited to see the stuff at the SHOT Show as well until I found out more.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#36]
This is disappointing.  Myself and some friends have been waiting patiently for no-ban 74's, fixed or folding, from Arsenal.  The market for these rifles seems to be fairly large but what do I know.  The last time we ordered from Arsenal (using a local FFL holder) We got 5 SAM7's and 3 SAM7 Classics.  We were looking to buy 8 74's.  I guess that it is time to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#37]

There apparently is considerable misconception about the Russian designed side-folding stock and there are a large number of people that have no idea the amount of work that goes into the job of creating this from a completed rifle or a bare receiver.

Because the Assault Weapons Ban went away, you are not going to wake up one morning and find (quality) made AKS-74 semi rifles for sale at a low price.

The amount of work involved here is considerable to do correctly.  We have a platform and parts that vary, almost guaranteeing that nothing will line up as planned. This is –after- you have very carefully removed the riveted rear trunnion block and before any work is done to the front-end.

The simple fact is that these jobs involve a lot of time and skilled craftsmanship.  The factory has the luxury of consistent parts because they make them; ALL of them, at the point of production, combined with cheap labor.  This is not the case in the US.  

It is nice to see a photo and desire a product. It is a different thing to actually know and understand what is involved from the concept phase to the finished product.  It is a lot of time, work, and money.  

Companies make decisions based on dollars, not emotions.  The larger the company, the more dollars involved. The decisions made by Arsenal should be obvious. The SLR rifles are truly unique. They have imported a variant that has never been in this country.  The customization of these will remain the domain of the custom builder due to the amount of labor involved.  Arsenal understands this very well.

Shawn
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#38]

For that kind of money I would rather buy a LNIB Norinco or FEG Hungatian.

I have an Arsenal SLR95, but just because it's a great gun, doesn't mean I'm an Arsenal zombie...

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There apparently is considerable misconception about the Russian designed side-folding stock and there are a large number of people that have no idea the amount of work that goes into the job of creating this from a completed rifle or a bare receiver.

Because the Assault Weapons Ban went away, you are not going to wake up one morning and find (quality) made AKS-74 semi rifles for sale at a low price.

The amount of work involved here is considerable to do correctly.  We have a platform and parts that vary, almost guaranteeing that nothing will line up as planned. This is –after- you have very carefully removed the riveted rear trunnion block and before any work is done to the front-end.

The simple fact is that these jobs involve a lot of time and skilled craftsmanship.  The factory has the luxury of consistent parts because they make them; ALL of them, at the point of production, combined with cheap labor.  This is not the case in the US.  

It is nice to see a photo and desire a product. It is a different thing to actually know and understand what is involved from the concept phase to the finished product.  It is a lot of time, work, and money.  

Companies make decisions based on dollars, not emotions.  The larger the company, the more dollars involved. The decisions made by Arsenal should be obvious. The SLR rifles are truly unique. They have imported a variant that has never been in this country.  The customization of these will remain the domain of the custom builder due to the amount of labor involved.  Arsenal understands this very well.

Shawn

So you are justifying them turning their backs on their loyal dealers who stuck with them when they were young to now dealing only with large dealers who want AWB-compliant rifles??  

Because if that's the case I'd guess you justify RRA or Bushmaster making AWB-compliant ARs after the sunset for the sole reason that they had excess reserves of AWB-compliant parts right?  Imagine if that were true and RRA and BM actually only made limited runs of no-ban ARs when they felt like it or when they had the parts together.  Would you still feel the same?  Or would you want them to focus on making no-ban rifles now and put the AWB-compliant models on the backburner or simply decrease their priority at the moment?
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Companies make decisions based on dollars, not emotions.  

Very true.  They have not made these decisions to smite gun owners.  They did it because it is going to be more profitable.  I'm sure they have bean counters that can back this up.   Also, I do not see this decision hurting them in the short term.  They are sitting pretty with Arsenal Bulgaria and as long as they have the exclusive contract they will be able to produce whatever they want and people will likely but them all up.

I'd like to see a new player step in with some new deal.  If someone else could start offering something equivalent or better Arsenal will be forced to change directions.  But until that time, I doubt they will.  Someone mentioned Global Trades/Arsenal USA/Armory USA.  I'd love to see them fill the void but I do not see that happening either.

Maybe someone (other than Century) could sit up a deal with Romania like Arsenal has with Bulgaria?

(edit to add)
I still think Templar got the short end of the stick.  My above post is reguards to thier decision to put significant energy into AWB compliant rifles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Folks,

There are legitimate business reasons to do what Arsenal did, but this just goes to show you what the thinking is there. These people are in the business simply for making money...not that there is anything wrong with making money....they do not do this for the love of the craft so to speak. Although I can undestand this, I think they are making a wrong decision. If it were up to me I would go full speed ahead with no-ban rifles and would stop the limited run crap. Perhaps I would try to introduce fewer models this year but with more units per model. Then again, I am not runing this company.

May I humbly suggest that all of you contact arsenal by letter if possible or by e-mail and let them know how you feel. They may not listen but you have done your part. In any case, where there is demand for something, someone will (or should) come in and supply what is needed....I see an opportunity here...we shall see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shawn

So you are justifying them turning their backs on their loyal dealers who stuck with them when they were young to now dealing only with large dealers who want AWB-compliant rifles??  

Because if that's the case I'd guess you justify RRA or Bushmaster making AWB-compliant ARs after the sunset for the sole reason that they had excess reserves of AWB-compliant parts right?  Imagine if that were true and RRA and BM actually only made limited runs of no-ban ARs when they felt like it or when they had the parts together.  Would you still feel the same?  Or would you want them to focus on making no-ban rifles now and put the AWB-compliant models on the backburner or simply decrease their priority at the moment?

Please go back and please re-read what I posted. Comparing AR's the AK's is apples to oranges.

We are talking about imported rifles and impoted parts, being customized by skilled US labor.
Further,  It is not about choice. It IS about economics. A company must rely on its core competencies. Arsenal is not a custom shop.  These are (IMPORTED) rifles. An AR type rifle is a US produced nuts and bolts type rifle.  VERY, very different.

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Yep your right its "economics" Arsenal Inc could make money selling SAM-7's for $600.  But now its costs $1000 for one with a flash hider and lug.  That makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Maybe this is a good omen for Global Trades USA?

Way before any of this Arsenal Inc. stuff happened, Global Trades/Armory USA was planning on offering AK-74 rifles.
They had an exclusive distributor for those rifles too. There weren't going to be any sold directly to ffl's.
I know this because Jimmy of Arsenal told me so.
I asked if there would be any he might be able to sell me at a show and he said "no, we have a deal with them".
They had one distributor (whose name escapes me right now) just waiting for rifles to sell.
But that never happened, mainly because Global never produced/imported very many rifles other than a few AK-74 and some odd AK-74 underfolders.  

So don't expect them to "take the ball and run with it" so to speak.

The only reason Arsenal Inc. started building rifles in the U.S. was to make money.

I always knew that but its still disappointing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#45]
The VEPR line of AK style rifles just started to look a whole lot better!
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I say f#$k Arsenal. They're way overpriced for what they're offering, and if they don't want to cater to small gun shops and individual consumers like us, screw them all the way back to Bulgaria.

I understand the need to produce "ban compliant" weapons for Castroite satellite states such as New York, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't put the effort into offering side folding AK-74s and SAM-7 rifles. They're going to shoot themselves in the foot in the long run, but apparently there are enough idiots out there that will still buy their products, so I guess they don't have to care.

What concerns me though for folks like ORF, InRange, AK-USA, etc., is that Arsenal of Bulgaria controls K-VAR, which currently is the sole source for Bulgarian parts of all sorts (Krink, AK-74, etc.). The only thing else out there are VEPRs and Saigas which can be converted to a few things. There's nothing else out there for us to import quality parts, since the Russians and Chinese can't or are unwilling to fight the bureaucracy of the US Govt to give us AK components (whether it's parts kits or "sporter" rifles). This may have ramifications on the talented gunsmithing industry that has sprung up because of our stupid gun laws. I'll wait and see what happens before I speculate any further. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal back tracks on their decisions.

In the mean time, let's hope we see some "Saigas" with AK-107/108 gas systems in the near future

themao

In the case of Norinco and Polytech, there are sanctions which prohibit sales of anything they make in the US.  The Russians have been making a lot of noise to the US about the Bulgarians concerning AK rifle and parts sales.  They are not making a single kopek on weapons that they designed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#47]
If anyone else has noticed, many of their new offerings are more expensive then having someone put together a custom build using a Firing line receiver, and a over priced AK-47 milled kit from K-Var.

If I remember correctly, K-var/Arsenal USA actually owns a piece of Arsenal of Bulgaria. Arsenal of Bulgaria was up for sale a few years ago, for the low price of something like $1.5M. K-var bought into them at the  time.

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Though I dont like it and as much as this sucks, it is not bad business.  They are not selling to us, they are selling to distributors.  They are the ones buying these rifles, not us.  We get them from LH or FAC.  They are selling them these rifles and if LH or FAC doesnt sell them, which I dont think is true they will sell all of them, then they will have to make the no ban stuff.  Also the AW ban will eventually be renewed and then they will have all of these no ban parts that they cant use that they ordered from Arsenal of Bulgaria.  There are more people who like AK's then are coming on this board and seeing what is going on.  Also they make the best stuff so they will sell their stuff for sure no matter what it has or doesnt have.  Like I said I dont like it, but it is not a bad business idea.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#49]

The Russians have been making a lot of noise to the US about the Bulgarians concerning AK rifle and parts sales. They are not making a single kopek on weapons that they designed.

Not that M. Kalashnikov ever personally made a dime from his design either.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

In the case of Norinco and Polytech, there are sanctions which prohibit sales of anything they make in the US.  The Russians have been making a lot of noise to the US about the Bulgarians concerning AK rifle and parts sales.  They are not making a single kopek on weapons that they designed.

There's no sanctions against Russian Saigas or VEPRs, which we can convert into fully fledged AKs with mostly American parts. I'd imagine that the Chinese could do the same if they wanted to. The Russians could do more of the same, particularly with the new AN-94. There'd be a line to get that rifle in a "sporter" configuration. Whether it's profitable or not is another matter (but I'd imagine that's not a problem if they charge the right price), but I recognize the discriminatory laws in place against both nations. Bulgaria is lucky, but they are taking advantage of the loopholes in the stupid laws, unlike the Chinese or Russians.

themao
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top