Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 6:52:29 AM EDT
Last week I placed the post AK Advice for Rifle Novice? . Thanks for the feedback there. Here are some more specific ideas I have rattling around:

(1) Sights: AK Notch-n-post vs AR Ghost Ring – I just don’t get the ghost-ring thing. In his Urban Carbine, Jim Crews writes that you must “trust the ring” by just focusing on the front post while the eye will subconsciously align with the ring. When I do this, shots go all over the place. I must consciously align the ring and post for any degree of accuracy, which given how wide the ring is allows for a lot of error. Am I missing something? I do have a red-dot (EOTech) for the AR which makes things a lot easier…..kinda too easy. The purist in me says I should be able to use the irons to a reasonable degree without an outright dependence on the optics. I am really looking forward to trying out the more pistol-like sights on the AK, which would seem a lot more inherently precise than a ghost ring (not-to-mention a lot more what I’m used to).

(2) Recoil etc. – 7.62x39 obviously outstrips .223, but although heavier it is also slower and lower pressure. (I’m thinking here of the pistol analogy of .45 vs 10mm – I hate high-pressure rounds.) So will I get more of a “thunk” than a “crack”? Also in their typical respective configurations, isn’t the AK heavier than the AR and better able to absorb kick?

(3) Trigger – The AK’s I’ve looked at have a long and rolling, almost double-action pull compared to the AR’s fairly crisp single-action. Any sacrifice here for rapid follow-up shots, double-taps, etc.?

(4) Furniture – The AK includes at-least the option for old-fashioned wood rather than modern synthetic. Other than the obvious differences in durability, are there any other functional considerations? How about weight?

Thanks as always.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]

" I am really looking forward to trying out the more pistol-like sights on the AK, which would seem a lot more inherently precise than a ghost ring (not-to-mention a lot more what I’m used to)."
-----

With a notch and post sight - your eyes have to switch focus between THREE things.
(notch , post , TARGET )

The Peep sight reduces this to TWO ( post and TARGET )

Much easier on the eye muscles.

Most long gun MATCH shooters use Peep sights.

You can get a SMALLER rear aperture installed for greater accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
AFA iron sights, Im bothered more by the reduced sight radius than the sight itself. Not just AKs, but 10-14.5 ARs seem to make it more difficult at range, requiring me to be more concious of alignment. Perhaps this is the issue, rather than the sight itself?

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you want me to be "more specific"
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
AFA iron sights, Im bothered more by the reduced sight radius than the sight itself. Not just AKs, but 10-14.5 ARs seem to make it more difficult at range, requiring me to be more concious of alignment. Perhaps this is the issue, rather than the sight itself?

Luck
Alac

Same here, but I find it easier to allign notch and post (specifically, square notch, not a v-notch). I think the best shooting I've ever done was actually with the really crude irons on the Bushmaster M17s Bullpup (for 8/10 x's at 100yds. Bear in mind I don't shoot much, and my vision sucks royally).
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]

(1) Sights: AK Notch-n-post vs AR Ghost Ring – I'm thinking that you just need more iron practice also were you using the large aperature or the small?  What Mr. Crews said is spot on.

(2) Recoil etc. – Recoil is very subjective.  The past couple of days i've watched a guy shoting an AK in pat rogers carbine course and he didn't have any problems with followup shots.  If you don't practice and have not had any training you'll be just as slow with an AR as an AK.

(3) Trigger – Practice is what will get you faster accurate hammers not any trigger.  I like my ak trigger but don't consider it very precise,  i don't consider adjustable triggers to be suitable for a defensive firearm.

(4) Furniture – Well there is no real good way i know of for mounting a light.

Surprised you didn't mention ergonomics such as the safety, mag release, lack of a BHO etc.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
" I am really looking forward to trying out the more pistol-like sights on the AK, which would seem a lot more inherently precise than a ghost ring (not-to-mention a lot more what I’m used to)."
-----

With a notch and post sight - your eyes have to switch focus between THREE things.
(notch , post , TARGET )

The Peep sight reduces this to TWO ( post and TARGET )

Much easier on the eye muscles.

Most long gun MATCH shooters use Peep sights.

You can get a SMALLER rear aperture installed for greater accuracy.

I myself dont like peep sights either.  I dont like the fact that there is no definite alignment.  On the other hand I do like the notch post sight since when everything is kosher I have a flat line that everything above gets holes in.  When I shoot my AKs I dont even see the rear sight.  I focus on the front post and the rear is aligned automatically.  The fact that you cannot even get a notch/post sight for an AR is rediculous.  

This is the reason I have 4 AKs, no ARs and I sold my fal.  

Quoted:(4) Furniture – Well there is no real good way i know of for mounting a light.

Surprised you didn't mention ergonomics such as the safety, mag release, lack of a BHO etc.

You've not seen the TDI forend it seems.  I have one on my seak and I have 3 rails to put things.  Currently I have a vert grip and tac light.

As for the Safety you can get replacements that use a lever that the trigger finger actuates.  The mag release is great as far as I'm concerned. A BHO is of little importance to me too.  

I would have thought you would have mentioned the charging handle though.  I work my by rotating the gun over 90 degrees to the left and racking it with my left hand.  If I'm prone I simply reach over and dont move the gun.  Again, it is inconvenient but workable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I personally like everything about the AK in its own right. It's all there for a very good reason, and I don't care what feature you name.

AK platforms vary, ya know.. Most features you dislike have been modified for countries where there are other priorities. Selector, sights, and mags your problem? Get a Galil, and an M16 mag adapter from Vulcan Arms (That latter is only an accessory, so it shouldn't blow your gun up).

Accuracy an issue? Get an AK107 or AK108 modification (though good luck finding a parts kit for import). Their accuracy is easily as good as an M4, given your basic issue ball ammo in the M4 and Russian .mil-spec ammo in the AK's (BTW, this isn't exactly your basic AKM, AK here stands for Alexandrov-Kalashnikov; but it is made for export!).
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
LHD, have you ever tried the under-the-gun method for charging? I found it's alot more plesant to reach behind the mag and yank that charging handle back. Faster, too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LHD, have you ever tried the under-the-gun method for charging? I found it's alot more plesant to reach behind the mag and yank that charging handle back. Faster, too.

If you mean the reach behind the mag with the thumb up rack yea I did try that.  I took PeteG's basic tactical carbine class up in pitt.  We went over a variety of racking methods, the flip/rack method just came second nature to me.  If I'm laying prone I usually dont have the mechanics to do the under method.  Now that I think about it, I do do it when shooting from cover.

If thats not what you're talking about ..... I obviously need to know.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Im the opposite. I find the AR sights Top tier. I have a hard time with AK sights. Hard to get the same hold and sight picture. The AR sights line up with out me thinking about it for me.. WD
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Now us AK guys make Peep sights for you, why dont you AR guys make sights for us?

If bushmaster made post/notch sights I'd probably have 4-8 of thier ARs.

ARE YOU LISTENING BUSHMASTER???? YOU COULD SELL MORE RIFLES.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the great dialogue folks. I'll be borrowing an AK for the first time for a local match this Sunday ( ! ! ! )

Will keep all your thoughts in mind as I "boldy go...."
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
ghost rings are more accurate...

the AR's round will allow you to engage targets very far away with a great trajectory...  AK's aren't able to be customized to the user... they only allow you to get used to the gun (for the most part)

on my weapon... being an AR15 16" chromlined barrel...  with RASII freefloat barrel rails... a magpul stock... and an Aimpoint...

my weapon is able to attack anything from 0-300m easy!  400m  a little more tricky...  my aimpoint will allow me to place a dot faster than any iron sight...  and even if my 10.000hour battery light runs out.. (which it won't)... i have two more batteries in the pistol grip in a water proof container...  and i can take off my aimpoint via throwlever if it happens to BREAK... and i have backup irons ready for action...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]

I've kept rifles by my ez chair for targeting commercials on tv, esp to overcome my left eye dominance with right handed shooting...

Please explain. I have the same problem. While I can deal with it by moving the sights way over to one side, it makes shooting my rifles a PIA for friends
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, since the thread's been bumped..

I took a bowhunting safety class this past weekend (so I could get the larger hunting/tag packages), and we were discussing shooting with disabilities. One interesting thing you might want to do, is get a rifle with a scope mounted in the side manner, like a Steyr AUG / USR. Roll your head right as if shooting normally, and your left eye alligns with the scope. This, of course depends on several factors (like head size), so YMMV on this one.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top