Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2003 1:18:35 PM EDT
What kind of 7.62x39mm ammo comes in the OD green tuna style cans that hold 700 rounds? I know its russian ammo but from where, how old and most of all IS IT ANY GOOD!?

Thanks for your help!
PS Anyone have pics of this stuff?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you load it up and it goes BANG, I'd say it's good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks, but you didnt have to work so hard on a thorough scientific test just for me....

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it is Ulyansk (sp?) ammo. The ULY I bought from Century about a year and a half ago dated '93 came in standard 1000rd cardboard cases. It goes bang every time, but seems to be mildly corrosive judging from the rust on the muzzle brake, gas block, and gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it in the cans that say "MIL-SPEC"?

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/7_62x39.html

If so (and I really think this is what you are talking about), it is ULY.

It is non-corrosive.

And people, there is NO SUCH THING AS MILDLY CORROSIVE!

Edited to ad link
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it in the cans that say "MIL-SPEC"?

Sure does!

They guy said it was made in 2002, could he be right?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I am pretty sure it is all fairly new production.Russian military ammo is corrosive, and only their civilian export ammo is non-corrosive.  They didn't start making this in any quantity until a few years ago, so at the worst it wouldn't be more than 5(ish) years old.

I doubt it is near that old though.  I think the can is their marketing gimmick.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think the can is their marketing gimmick.

Why is that?

I am buying a few 700 cans for SHTF storage ammo.

Its already sealed up and all. Ya know?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Ooops! I guess what I meant to say is that some of the Uly 1000rd cases I have cause corrosion on my SAR-1 and others cases don't seem to. I've went through about 6,000rds. of this stuff and it is hit of miss as far as corrosion is concerned. Keep in mind, my Uly is dated 1993 (same blue & white box), but this tuna can stuff may be different since it is evidently newer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The cans are packed with commercially boxed ammo. Still though, perfect for long term storage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?

Oh, I agree totally. It is perfect for that.  I just don't think the Russians took an American SHTF situation into account when they packed it this way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?

Oh, I agree totally. It is perfect for that.  I just don't think the Russians took an American SHTF situation into account when they packed it this way.

What a terrible oversight!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, but you didnt have to work so hard on a thorough scientific test just for me....

Not a problem. Just glad to help out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I think all of the tin can ammo is ULY brand and it's very good and non-corrosive. I just bought 660 rounds for $50.00 at a gun show this past weekend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:52:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never commented on SHTF threads.....but I will say this....

The last "tuna" can of ammo I bought was a royal pain in the ass to open.  I can't imagine being in a combat situation and when the resupply happens....someone throws my position a tuna can of ammo.  I wonder if I can call a "time-out" during hostilities to get my tin snips out to open the can.....

Anyway.....back to our regular scheduled program.....

KF
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Krink, you are right.  They do take several minute to open, and that is witout the preasure of someone trying to shoot you.

As for long term storage, and then opening before the SHTF, it would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Just make sure you get a can opener with your can! AIM has them listed as being non-corrosive. Check out:

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/7_62x39.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]
In regards to the SHTF and the Tuna Can.

I am not relying on those or back up.  They are my third and last line of back up.

1st I have loaded mags

2nd I have about 1,000 rounds on stipper clips with AK magazine strupper clip loader.

3rd is the Tuna can and that will reload the stripper clipped ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
yeah, thats all fine and good, but how do you get the tuna smell out of the ammo? Wouldn't smelly ammo be a disadvantage in a tactical situation?[/smartass]

nahhhhh!, It will help you.  If it smells bad enough, the bad guys might just leave.

You should have seen how my whole end of the building cleared out two weeks ago when someone shipped fish in a box from Florida. No ice, just fish in a box.  4 day shipping plus 2 days in the lot over the weekend!

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
large green tuna can?

it's starkist ammunition.

sorry, charlie...only the finest ammo gets to be barnaul!

Campy you crack me up.......
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In regards to the SHTF and the Tuna Can.

I am not relying on those or back up.  They are my third and last line of back up.

1st I have loaded mags

2nd I have about 1,000 rounds on stipper clips with AK magazine strupper clip loader.

3rd is the Tuna can and that will reload the stripper clipped ammo.

Count me in to hold up with you at your SHTF Bunker.....Remember, we gotta have at least five weapons by each window.....HA!

KF
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Count me in to hold up with you at your SHTF Bunker.....Remember, we gotta have at least five weapons by each window.....HA!

Sounds good to me,

Send me all your krinks and I'll have them ready at the winders fer ya!

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Ah, yes, the "Mil-Spec Hunting Ammo."  Seems like good stuff as far as commerical Russian ammo goes - no problems about about 75% into my first can.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Slightly off-topic here, but damn, those stripper clips suck compared to good ol' AR-15 stripper clips. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth - and I cut a deep gash into the side of my thumb trying to work those stupid things. I've gotten better at it, but it should be easier. Heck, I'm even college edumacated.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Slightly off-topic here, but damn, those stripper clips suck compared to good ol' AR-15 stripper clips.

Eumm..

Are you high?
The SKS Stripper clips are way better than the M16 Stripper clip bro. You can easily load and unload the AK/SKS stripper clip and its reusable  unlike the M16 Stripper where it only lasts 3-4 times.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top