Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/1/2014 12:11:55 PM EDT
I decided my next gun in a rifle caliber is going to be a Mini Draco. Eventually I plan to SBR it with a folding stock and a form to the gov't, so I figured I should jaw about it a bit here in anticipation first.

As far as I can tell, the easiest way with the least weight and cost added is just to buy a folding stock mechanism (I'm favoring the Stormwerkz product over the ACE one at the moment) without a "boss" and drill & tap holes in the receiver, then just add a stock. Like most I was put off by how AR stocks look on AKs, but then I took a look at the Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock. I really think the looks of that stock might work on a Mini Draco. I think for my needs an AR stock is a better choice. They're more widely available, cheaper, and come in adjustable flavors if needed.

But all I have to go by is my quick Photoshop mockup. Anyone have any pics of a Mini Draco with a folding mechanism and the Magpul fixed carbine stock? Probably a very rare combo, but it can't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully someone can do better than this (apologies to the owners of the pics I butchered):

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My thread is right above yours  I picked up a Mini-Draco also and am planning on doing the same thing.  I'm leaning on the side folding right now, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I didn't even really consider an underfolder. Harder mod and I don't like what I read about the stocks. I think I want a Stormwerkz folding mechanism. Another mockup:

How do I make my images show in the thread?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, okay, thanks for the welcome and the info (that is no doubt sitting somewhere in a prominently-displayed location, unread by me ;) ).
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the two of us are on the same page.  I plan to add a can, one of my closest friends owns ArmsTech so I'll probably try to get one of his.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the two of us are on the same page.  I plan to add a can, one of my closest friends owns ArmsTech so I'll probably try to get one of his.
View Quote

I thought about a fake can, but decided the paperwork would be worth it.

One concern I have is mounting a red dot. I don't know how well it'll work that far forward, and from what I've read that far forward is the only real option. I guess $80 for a Bushnell isn't too much $ to find out. But if it doesn't work I don't have a backup plan.

I also wish there were more handguard options for the MD. The Midwest HG seems good but I'd rather do something lighter, with just a top rail. Red dot's the only thing I need a rail for.

I still need to read up on everything I'll have to buy to drill & tap the receiver. I want to do it right and buy everything I'll need, since I plan to start teaching myself basic smithing eventually.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
i would go with one of the ACE metal folders, think it will look better.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quake, I gave it a lot of thought before I decided to go with a folding mechanism with an AR-style connection. It offers a lot more versatility. There are many more AR stocks out there than stocks that will fit into a normal ACE style folding mechanism. I agree that the skeleton style stocks look good on AKs. I think most AR stocks look bad on AKs, but the Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock is a pretty good approximation of the skeleton style, IMO, with a similar outline.

The AR-style folding mechanisms cost about the same up-front ($25 more than the regular mechanisms, plus $20-25 more for a castle nut, extension tube, and end plate, vs. about $50 less for a Magpul FCS vs. an ACE skeleton stock), but I think they'll pay off in the long run. Much wider selection, lower stock replacement costs. And the next time somebody comes out with an AR stock that I think would go great on an AK, I can use it.

The only reason I can think of to choose a normal AK folding mechanism is if the user wants to have something heavy to bash with, and I don't.

All of that does leave out the issue of weapon balance, which I don't have a clue about. I've never handled an AK. I'm hoping the lighter stock choices for ARs don't prove to be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quake, I gave it a lot of thought before I decided to go with a folding mechanism with an AR-style connection. It offers a lot more versatility. There are many more AR stocks out there than stocks that will fit into a normal ACE style folding mechanism. I agree that the skeleton style stocks look good on AKs. I think most AR stocks look bad on AKs, but the Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock is a pretty good approximation of the skeleton style, IMO, with a similar outline.

The AR-style folding mechanisms cost about the same up-front ($25 more than the regular mechanisms, plus $20-25 more for a castle nut, extension tube, and end plate, vs. about $50 less for a Magpul FCS vs. an ACE skeleton stock), but I think they'll pay off in the long run. Much wider selection, lower stock replacement costs. And the next time somebody comes out with an AR stock that I think would go great on an AK, I can use it.

The only reason I can think of to choose a normal AK folding mechanism is if the user wants to have something heavy to bash with, and I don't.

All of that does leave out the issue of weapon balance, which I don't have a clue about. I've never handled an AK. I'm hoping the lighter stock choices for ARs don't prove to be a problem.
View Quote

Get both:

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get both:

View Quote

I know "Home of The Black Rifle" is the arfcom tag-line, but ^^^^^this should the official motto here on the AK side.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top