Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2010 3:26:04 PM EDT
I've got no access to a 100 yard range and was wondering if anyone can tell me where my rounds should impact at 25 yards so that it is POA=POI at a 100 yards.  Ammo is regular Silver Bear cartridge.    

P.S.  Would love to see a trajectory chart for the 7.62x29 cartridge if anyone has one out to say 500 yards ...

Edit:  I found some trajectory information online that says that a +2.9" at 100 yards, will equal to a -0.5" at 200 yards ... It would be awesome if someone could provide some data-points for impact at 25 yards in order to be POA=POI @ both 100 yards and 200 yards.

Thank you kindly.

- BORG
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ak-47.net/images/AKtarget.jpg

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use the target posted above for 25 yards.  Set your rear sight to "2" and fire three rounds.  If they are in the circle, you are basically zeroed.  If not, make adjustments and fire another three rounds.  Keep it up until you get a three round group in the circle, then set your rear sight back to "1".

This method is straight out of the Russian manual.

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can use the target posted above for 25 yards.  Set your rear sight to "2" and fire three rounds.  If they are in the circle, you are basically zeroed.  If not, make adjustments and fire another three rounds.  Keep it up until you get a three round group in the circle, then set your rear sight back to "1".

So does this mean that if I've got all three rounds in the circle, then I'm zeroed at 200 yards?
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Really neat target!  There are no instructions with it, how would you know to set sight at 2 instead of 1?  Is there a similar target for 5.45?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does this mean that if I've got all three rounds in the circle, then I'm zeroed at 200 yards?

No, it means that you are basically zeroed for 100m.  If it is 5.56mm or 5.45mm, you set the rear sight to "3" and perform the same procedure.  Remember to set the rear sight back to "1" when you are finished.  All firing on the above target is done at 25 yards, but you should verify your results by firing at 100 yards (with the sight set to "1") as soon as you can.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Really neat target!  There are no instructions with it, how would you know to set sight at 2 instead of 1?  Is there a similar target for 5.45?

Like I said, this method is out of the Russian manual.  Set the rear sight to "2" for 7.62mm and "3" for 5.45mm/5.56mm.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice zero target.

So, with a 7.62X39 AK take the target place at 25yd (not meter?? the Russians use meters) and set the rear sight to "2".  
Shoot till happy with your group in the strike zone.  
When done put sight back to "1"?  Is this suppose to be like a AR zero in that your range scale on the rear will work then....like if needed you can put on 'N" for battle sight and hit at 300 if needed?

I understand that you need to try to shoot at 100m with the rear on "1" to be sure your rear works but is the above suppose to be close if you have a good group?  Also clear up the yd v/s meter issue.  The sights were made with meters in mind.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very nice zero target.

So, with a 7.62X39 AK take the target place at 25yd (not meter?? the Russians use meters) and set the rear sight to "2".  
When done put sight back to "1"?  Is this suppose to be like a AR zero in that your range scale on the rear will work then....like if needed you can put on 'N" for battle sight and hit at 300 if needed?

I understand that you need to try to shoot at 100m with the rear on "1" to be sure your rear works but is the above suppose to be close if you have a good group?  Also clear up the yd v/s meter issue.  The sights were made with meters in mind.....

I would love to know this too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very nice zero target.

Yes it is actually in meters.

And yes, once zeroed to POA/POI at 100m with the sight set on 1, the rifle should then hit at each cooresponding sight setting.

The battle sight setting is used to enable the shooter to make hits on a human torso sized target anywhere from 0 out to 300m without having to set the rear sight.  It is just intended as a quick setting to be used to get reasonable hits at the most common battle ranges.  The battel sight setting also cooresponds with the 300m setting but is quicker and easier to find in the heat of battle without looking and without having to make range estimations.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Even though the rear sight is in meters, and I don't know of many American ranges that use the metric system, the "yards" will work just fine.  The be technical about it, the Russian manual says to put the target at the 21m mark, which works out to be almost 25yds.  (Again, don't know of many ranges that have a 23.1yd marking...)

I used this method on my Arsenal and it worked out just fine.

Here is the target, along with the instructions, that I use:

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]
In reference to the target and other questions about meters converted to yards:

These measurments are on the target:
.5 mm = .019 in
1 mm = .039 in

These measurments are meters converted to yards:
1 m = 1.093 yd

25 m = 27.340 yds
50 m = 54.680 yds
100 m = 109.361 yds
200 m = 218.722 yds
300 m = 328.083 yds
400 m = 437.444 yds
500 m = 546.805 yds

etc........
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Good to go. That last target cleared it up well.  Many of us use a laser rangefinder so 25y/ 25m/ 21m whatever is easy to do.

Going to confirm today using the rear set to "2" and shoot the target till group is centered.  Then when done I will move the rear back to "N" (battle zero) and should be good for most any range or can laser my range and set the rear to that matching range.  I am happy now.

BTW...Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the advantage of being the manager for an indoor range, so I am able to set my target at exactly 21m and sight my AKs in.  

Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
So, once I have the 5.45 group in the target at 21m and the rear sight at 300m, I set the rear sight to "n" and I'm good to go up to the 300m mark, correct?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have the advantage of being the manager for an indoor range, so I am able to set my target at exactly 21m and sight my AKs in.  

Glad I could help.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Just an FYI, I wanted to use this type of target to sight in my new Polish UF this weekend but ran into some trouble printing the targets.

The first one won't fit on 8.5x11" paper, and the second is too-small as supplied.   I finally had success (print-wise, anyway...) with the second but it was a multiple-iteration trial and measure process- note that it says the grid should be 10mmx10mm.  I cut and past the target image into Word and then dragged one corner of it until when printed the grid was the right size.

Thanks for posting the target art though!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top