Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:41:54 PM EDT
I just bought one last Thursday, and expect to see it in the mail Tuesday. I also bought a Bushnell 1-4x24mm AR optics BDC drop reticle as a temporary 'budget' scope to throw in it. May go with a Hi Lux CMR or another Vortex Viper PST 1-4 MRAD if I decide to replace it. All I really needed was a better sight than the crude irons on my Arsenal.

Only thing is, it looks like it mounts pretty close to the top cover, and the magnification adjustment ring is pretty big on this Bushnell.

Can anyone give me some measurements on clearance from the main tube of their scope, to the top of the cover on their rifle using this mount? I may have to see if Academy will exchange this for another 1-4x optic if it won't clear.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a little tricky considering the variation among scope sizes but the MI rail is about .5" from the top of the dust cover to where the top of the rail is. It's actually at a common height for AK side mounts

Z
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a little tricky considering the variation among scope sizes but the MI rail is about .5" from the top of the dust cover to where the top of the rail is. It's actually at a common height for AK side mounts

http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/Optics/OpticMatrix.png

Z
View Quote

Thanks  for the chart, Z. I will get a PSO for it sometime, but mostly for fun. I'm not too partial on chevron type reticules. (Prefer horseshoe-dot style or mil dot.) My main concern is that the magnification ring on the scope I bought will hit the top dust cover, and thus not be able to mount to the rifle because the mount puts the optic too low.

Also I'm not getting the railed AKSM mount, I'm getting the mount that just goes straight to 30 mm tube. This one:

USPS tracking shows it's out for delivery,  so I'll either find out here in a minute or tomorrow if it will work for the scope I picked out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Understood.

Sorry I don't have much hands on with Western scopes or I'd try to give a better idea. I have dabbled with friends Leatherwood and PA 6x optics but not much other than that. I have too much going on with combloc stuff to get into Western types unfortunately

Good luck though and post pics when you can

Z
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, mount finally got here.

Huge no-go for the Bushnell AR 223 drop BDC 1-4x24 and this mount. Wasn't even close to clearing the top cover.

Took it back to Academy and ordered the 'recommended' Hi Lux CMR scope. (The scope MI used to test this mount.) Ordered with 1 day shipping because I'm an impatient bastard and am leaving to go hunting on Friday.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that's a bummer but at least I think you'll be happy with the CMR. I was really impressed by the two that I have fooled around with. Love that green horse shoe reticule and in fact that may be the impulse that got me on the green horse shoe kick in the first place.

Z
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well that's a bummer but at least I think you'll be happy with the CMR. I was really impressed by the two that I have fooled around with. Love that green horse shoe reticule and in fact that may be the impulse that got me on the green horse shoe kick in the first place.

Z
View Quote

Yeah, I am a little familiar with this scope, I bought one for my dad on Christmas for his AR. I was fairly impressed with it considering the price point.

I'll post pics of the failed Bushnell optic setup here; and then take some good pics of the CMR on my SLR 104 for the tacked optics pic thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Vortex PST 1-4 power on an RS regulate AK-300 mounting system. I thought it was great, though I felt a little far back with the length of the optic + eye relief. I usually shoot really close in.

The Vortex is head and shoulders above the Hi-Lux in quality. I had the CMR gen 2 before I sold it and purchased the Vortex. It was heavy, longer, and the turret adjustments felt mushy. Was not a fan of the reticle, and the illumination  was sloppy.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
sdrake100 how is your cheek weld with that vortex on your ak? I am thinking about doing the same with my sam7sf.

Thanks
Leland
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top