BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2010 6:41:22 PM EDT
the reticle looks like this:

Missing chunks and extra globs on the chevrons:

Also, the manual (which contains the factory quality control stamps) was conspicuously missing from the bag.  Going to contact Kalinka and see if they'll replace it with a good unit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
AH! that sucks... I mean its not terrible but it should be 'new' since thats how they are advertised... That makes me nervous too since I was about to pull the trigger on an optic Monday.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that sucks.  Mine is crystal clear and has the OTK stamps in the manual.  That is unacceptable for the price of these optics.  Def. contact Kalinka and tell them to make it right.  They are usually pretty good to deal with when it comes to problems.  What serial # is yours?  Mine is 9013.

Not a very good pic, but the reticle is perfect.  The little dot under the chevron is suppose to be there.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wow, that sucks.  Mine is crystal clear and has the OTK stamps in the manual.  That is unacceptable for the price of these optics.  Def. contact Kalinka and tell them to make it right.  They are usually pretty good to deal with when it comes to problems.  What serial # is yours?  Mine is 9013.

Not a very good pic, but the reticle is perfect.  The little dot under the chevron is suppose to be there.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx79/miglan20/DSC00867.jpg

I sent Kalinka an email today with the reticle pictures.  Hopefully they make this right... I'm going to be even more ticked if I get stuck paying return shipping and/or receive a flawed replacement.

My scope's S/N is N09043.  Apparently, Ivan was extra drunk that week.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, just got the "Fuck You, Comrade" email from Kalinka:

Hello GTwannabe,

Please, check the back wall of the scope carry case - it has hidden pocket where the manual is put. BTW, almost all customers couldn't find it for the first time.

As for the reticle, the manufacturer' technical terms let some defects on the reticle and it's considered normal until tops of chevrons are in perfect shape. Frankly, these defects don't affect the scope usability, they are just a bit disturbing, right?

Please, keep me informed on the manual finding.

Best regards,

Andrew Kozlov
Kalinka Optics Team

I did manage to locate the manual tucked away in the back of the bag, but I'm still stuck with the fucked up reticle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand the whole "within specs" argument, but for that kind of money I would expect better.

A lot of their sales come from boards like this.  I would demand a trade or tell them you are sending it back.  If they don't swap; it will only hurt sales of this and other optics in the future.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty disappointing to hear, I can't say I'm suprised though. Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against Kalinka, but they are a different breed of business.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I've wanted to purchase hard-to-obtain optics from Kalinka in the past, but always shied away due to horror stories of defective merchandise, not answering email, rude support, and shenanigans like refusing to accept delivery of a customer's RMA multiple times to expire their "15 day satisfaction guarantee"
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, I've wanted to purchase hard-to-obtain optics from Kalinka in the past, but always shied away due to horror stories of defective merchandise, not answering email, rude support, and shenanigans like refusing to accept delivery of a customer's RMA multiple times to expire their "15 day satisfaction guarantee"

I have always had a good experience with them, but I have heard some stories though mainly in the past.  I will say they are always quick to respond to emails and ship products.

Did you contact them again and demand a swap or refund?
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always had a good experience with them, but I have heard some stories though mainly in the past.  I will say they are always quick to respond to emails and ship products.

Did you contact them again and demand a swap or refund?

Oh yes, once I heard it was that kind of party, I stuck my dick in the potato salad:

Andrew,

I did find the manual in the rear pocket.  However, I am very unhappy about the 5 defects in the reticle.  I paid $500 for a new, high-quality scope and received what is essentially scratch-and-dent merchandise.  

I realize this is military hardware and can accept a few cosmetic blemishes, but the reticle is a critical component of the scope.  Frankly, I would not tolerate these defects on a $50 Chinese scope, much less a $500 Russian combat optic that you describe as "comparable to Trijicon"

I would like to exchange my scope for one with a properly manufactured reticle.  Please let me know how to proceed.

Thank you,

GTwannabe
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow! I hope they make it right for you - from that first email it sounds like they are just wanting to know details on why you dont like it... doesnt really sound like they are saying you cant return it just yet.  

Having said that - i am stuck deciding between the PO3.5 sight on eastwave and the 1P78 sight on kalinka and think Ill try the PO first. I cant ever get kalinka to answer my questions/emails...
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]
RMA'd the scope today.  Hope the replacement process goes well... it's a really nice optic minus the reticle defects.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
RMA'd the scope today.  Hope the replacement process goes well... it's a really nice optic minus the reticle defects.

Oh good, glad they are exchanging it.  Yes, I was going to ask you how you liked it overall minus the defect.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
*Update*

Received the replacement 1P78 today.  I gave it a quick once-over at work and the reticle appears to be good.

HOWEVER...

The front lens cover is all fucked up.  The ball detent does not keep the cover closed and it flops around.  The hinge is very loose as well.  I'm going to take a closer look when I get home and see if I can tighten it or adjust the detent so that it can latch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

*Update*

Received the replacement 1P78 today. I gave it a quick once-over at work and the reticle appears to be good.

HOWEVER...

The front lens cover is all fucked up. The ball detent does not keep the cover closed and it flops around. The hinge is very loose as well. I'm going to take a closer look when I get home and see if I can tighten it or adjust the detent so that it can latch.

Damn man, you just can't catch a break.

I guess it doesn't compare favorably to Trijicon scopes after all (as the owner of 2 ACOGs I always chuckle when I read that).

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I took a closer look at it this afternoon and was not able to adjust the latch or tighten the hinge cover.  Sent Andrew an email informing him that the replacement was defective... waiting on a response.

ETA:

S/N 9074 = turd.

Andrew gets 1 more chance... then I'm reporting fraud to MasterCard.  I paid for a new scope and have so far received 2 factory rejects.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://67.87.96.232:2021/gallery2/d/7502-1/reticle_flaw.jpg

http://67.87.96.232:2021/gallery2/d/7500-1/reticle_flaw_circled.jpg

Also, the manual (which contains the factory quality control stamps) was conspicuously missing from the bag.  Going to contact Kalinka and see if they'll replace it with a good unit.

WTF?

That picture is on the Kalinka Optics Kashtan page as their marketing picture. What is going on in here?

Picture from Kalinka Optics website:

Your picture:

Maybe they have changed their marketing to show that the products may have some slight defects. Btw. IMHO for under $500 Russian scope, I would have sucked up the first one and kept it. But that is just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

That picture is on the Kalinka Optics Kashtan page as their marketing picture. What is going on in here?

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/r/e/reticle_flaw.jpg

Your picture:

Maybe they have changed their marketing to show that the products may have some slight defects. Btw. IMHO for under $500 Russian scope, I would have sucked up the first one and kept it. But that is just my humble opinion.

THey are selling it.
WE HAVE ONLY ONE KASHTAN IN STOCK RIGHT NOW. It has a small reticle imperfection (see yellow picture) which doesn't affect usability BUT the price is reduced by $30.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]
That figures,  I didn't see it the first time. I was just looking at what specs they are selling it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/r/e/reticle_flaw.jpg

Your picture:

If he had offered me a discount on the scope, I would probably have kept it.  I was mainly concerned that the reticle flakes would detach and move around under recoil.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#20]
You did the right thing IMO. 500 bucks is too much for defects. I hope Andrew makes it right.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Hello GTwannabe,

We just received the second Kashtan scope from you.

We compared the scope condition with notes made by our Shipping Department (every scope is tested and the description of scope condition is recorded).
It's obvious that you've made some scope modification - the screws on the flip open cover are both completely stripped out and the third screw is missing. Our records show that the scope had the front cap working great.

Such modification violates Kalinka Returns&Replacements policy http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/kalinka-customer-service/ so you aren't qualified for refund or the scope exchange. The only thing we can do for you is to send the scope back to you.

Best regards,

Andrew

Fuck this prick!
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#22]
WOW....

You know I am sorry this happened to you but I was about to buy that same optic but saw this thread right before I did. i ended up buying a PO3.5x21 from Eastwave & it should be here in a few days. I hope I like it because otherwise its getting sold and I will have to deal with kalinka on getting a magnified optic.  

Anyways at this point, I would call him and let him know about this thread.  But sometimes calling is better and more personable IMO.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow that's F$^ked up, thanks for posting that. I was looking at one of there Night Vision scopes. Now there is no way in hell that I am going to buy one from them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Email them this thread address, and let them know where their business comes from.

I'm sure not going to order anything from them, and I was about to get a POSP.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep and seeing that really high quality (cough sucky cough) aimpoint mount they are selling get piss poor reviews makes me want to not ever deal with them... that and how they are treating you.

I got my PO3.5x21P optic today and its pretty nice.  Im glad eastwave exists :).
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Your picture:

THey are selling it.
WE HAVE ONLY ONE KASHTAN IN STOCK RIGHT NOW. It has a small reticle imperfection (see yellow picture) which doesn't affect usability BUT the price is reduced by $30.

They're using your photo on their site? I'm guessing not with your permission. Sue 'em for copyright infringement.

ETA: Did you originally pay with a CC? If so you can try and get a chargeback.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#27]
that sucks for you OP, but the one purchase i did make with them was very pleasant. granted the posp is a pretty common sight (meaning theyve kinda got it down pat as far a making them).  very quick shipping too. ill agree though from the sound of things the customer service was kinda sh*tty. but i would order from them again i think.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Filed a dispute with the CC company this morning.  They did mention that I had the "fraud flag" set on my account.  We checked my purchases and there was nothing out of the ordinary with the exception of the Kalinka order.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#29]
any updates yet? Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Hrmm.

The one time I had an issue with a scope bracket that wasn't working right (and it was my fault, I was putting it on wrong), Kalinka sent me a new scope base bracket, no cost, no questions asked.

I've wanted to buy several optics from them once I have more income.  This thread really concerns me, though.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

CC credited the Kalinka charge to my account; should receive a letter from them after they investigate and close the case.

Have not heard a peep out of Andrew.  AFAIK, the defective factory reject POS he claims I damaged is still in his possession.  If he does send it back, I will refuse delivery.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CC credited the Kalinka charge to my account; should receive a letter from them after they investigate and close the case.

Have not heard a peep out of Andrew.  AFAIK, the defective factory reject POS he claims I damaged is still in his possession.  If he does send it back, I will refuse delivery.

Hey man if you are interested I am selling my PO3.5 optic...
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Already?  That didn't take long...

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Already?  That didn't take long...

Yeah I am moving soon and need a job and money so it has to go. I will sure miss sniping clays and baseballs at 100 yards :(
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#35]
9/7 Update:

CC reversed the credit and I'm stuck with the broken scope

Anyone want to buy a Kashtan with a broken lens cover for a discount?

ETA:

Upon review of my CC statement, it looks like they reversed the $512 (scope plus shipping), then credited me $499.97 for the scope.  If that's the case, I might not be stuck with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#36]
How broke is the lense cover anyway?

Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How broke is the lense cover anyway?
Z

Pretty bad:

Scope 1: Good lens cover, strong tension on the cover (could be opened to any desired angle and would stay there), and latched closed securely

Scope 2: Broken lens cover, no tension on lens cover, lens cover flopped open/closed and rattled, cover did not latch to scope body and would flop open if tilted down, screw hole threads for the lens cover axle retaining screws looked chewed up

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#38]
What kind of discount are you thinking of, if you still are selling it?

Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What kind of discount are you thinking of, if you still are selling it?

Z

Depends on:

A. If I get stuck with it

and

B. How hard Kalinka chucks it down the driveway to spite me

I won't take it back if I can avoid it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Definately don't want you to get stuck with it but if you do drop me a line, we'll see if we can work something out.

Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#41]
You should just get an ACOG.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top