Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/24/2008 9:54:49 AM EDT
I am well aware of many products that work with AK's, but I was curious as to what the Russian/Bulgarian/Romanian,etc military use/used for there AK's?
The U.S. military uses CLP/LSA, etc for small arms maintenance, what is the AK equivalent?

I have tried the search feature, and have not found what I am looking for.

Also I am not looking for answers like "They just piss the mud out of it."

Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a translated Comblock AK manual. It calls for 'alkali solution' for cleaning the ares exposed to powder, 'rifle lubricating oil' on all metal area from temps of 125F to 23F, and 'Winter lubrication No. 21' for temps below 23F.

I can send you a copy of the manual if you e-mail or IM me. BSW
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I clean my AK's with Break Free, clean and coat the barrel with Hoppe's and lube them up with Mobil 1.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
motor oil has worked well in my AK rifes for years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My understanding is 30 weight motor oil.

That is what I have heard as well. I have no source to back it up other than some stuff I've read on various AK boards from members who have direct experience with the aforementioned forces.

Myself, I just use whatever is at my fingertips. Grease, oil, clp, trans fluid, motor oil, whatever. It all works. My range bag has high temp lithium bearing grease in it, I'm anything but a lube snob. If all I have is the dipstick from my truck, so be it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think you need a high-performance lubricant for an ak. As long as you have something in there it should last until the barrel is shot out. However, given that the ak has more 'designed-in' clearance/tolerance, I opt for a slightly thicker lube like motor oil.

I do put grease on my recoil spring because it came with grease on it. Just me.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoe string with a knot in the end dipped in 30wt motor oil and pulled through the barrel.  I think that's in the unprinted manual.
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
stories from Afghanistan involve the afore mentioned shoe laces with big knots tied in them... and motor oil.  I think we got that from to discovery thing about AK v. M16.

you forget... these rifles were made and maintained by countries in which you had to wait in line to get toilet paper... you think they had sophisticated standards of what to use like our military's CLP... nope.

Their attitude towards their guns has become my attitude toward the AK... so long as it looks a little better then before i cleaned it... it's clean!
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Brian, I'm a newbie to ak's, and was wondering if you would em me a copy of the manual too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a translated Comblock AK manual. It calls for 'alkali solution' for cleaning the ares exposed to powder, 'rifle lubricating oil' on all metal area from temps of 125F to 23F, and 'Winter lubrication No. 21' for temps below 23F.

I can send you a copy of the manual if you e-mail or IM me. BSW

I wouldnt mind a copy myself.....btw how about a pic of the original if you have one...I bet there are a lot of us who have never seen one......
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm fond of Mystic JT-6.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
For small arms maintenance Russian soldiers were issued "Gun Oil Type RZh".
In a nutshell it was a mixture (commercially prepared) of industrial hydraulic oil, jet fuel, viscosity increasing additive, and other anti-corrosive additives. It is very similar to AeroShell Fluid 18 based on cross-reference of Russian Standard ТУ 38.1011315—90 for Oil RZh.
Also, the special "Bore Cleaning Solution RChS" with very limited shelf life was prepared and issued locally by armorers. It is a mixture of 200 grams of Ammonium Carbonate and 5 grams of Potassium Dichromate in 1 liter of water.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Sov armorer's manual here: http://www.box.net/shared/cu2djae1zb

BSW
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
We captured AKs in Iraq that had red axle grease in them and also in the magazines . . . they were stinky.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top