Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT
I have a Bulgarian SA93 (milled receiver, wooden butthole thumbstock) that I would like to convert to a more conventional stock with pistol grip. The receiver doesn't have a lower tang, nor is it milled to accept one, so I'm a little limited in my installation choices. I had been considering getting it milled and installing the tang and one of K-Var's US stock sets, but I noticed some different options while browsing the BlackJack Buffers web site yesterday.

First was the Blackjack milled AK-47 stock adapter. This allows installation of any standard AR-15 type stock.

Second was the ACE Universal Receiver Block - Milled Receiver. This works with most of the stocks that ACE produces, along with AR-15 stocks when using an additional adapter. It also includes a 1.25" sling mount.

Has anybody had any experience with either or both? I've already installed a Gordon Technologies FCG, so one of these along with made in USA pistol grip, handguards and stock should keep me legal.

TIA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice! Who did the work, and how much did it cost if you don't mind sharing?
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool, I'll contact Randy about the work. Did yours start out as a SA93 or a SLR-95, and did it have the slot for the tang already?

And did you get the bugeye goggles yet?
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
i was gonna say the lower tang is somethang you can do yourself
but if he only charges 45 bucks to do it have it done
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
While I'm fairly handy, I'd hate to fsck up my receiver, so I'd rather have have a professional do it if the price is reasonable. That's one reason why I'm considering either the ACE or Blackjack adapters; they're much cheaper than one place that quoted me for installing the tang a while back, plus it isn't a permanent modification that I could easily screw up.

I'd gladly pay for it if Randy could do it for $45, or even a bit more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mine started out as a SA-93 like yours. The easy way to tell the difference is the 45° gas block vs the 90°.

Now that you mention that, I remember reading that a long time ago. I bought my '93 about 8 or 9 years ago, at a gun show with a friend who bought a '95. I didn't want to pay the $100 premium for plastic furniture and a muzzle brake, so I got the last NIB '93 from Classic Arms. If I knew about the tang issue at the time, I might have sprung for the '95, since I've heard a lot of them have the slot cut.

Quoted:
BTW- Randy also worked another AK of mine, which is posted in another thread, and I am COMPLETELY happy w/both rifles. He currently has 2 more now. I should also mention I consider myself a picky bastage.

It's been a while since I've been on the AK side of the board. I just finished building a new M4gery, and I'm now ready for something different. I've been drooling over some of the photos shown here, and decided it was time to get the butthole furniture off mine. It's still unfired, but that will change once I get it back from Randy. I heard from him a little while ago, and will be sending it off soon.

Thanks for all of your assistance. I like this option better than either of the adapters I initially asked about.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top