Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/28/2015 5:02:40 PM EDT
Im sorry to ask this but iv searched for hours and cant find much

Is there a thread somewhere pertaining to what mags fit what rifles and how to modify mags that don’t fit or function correctly?

Im done guessing with this yugo ... Links please if you can think of some ... Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It's best to fix what's wrong with the gun before modifying mags. What's the issue? Home built?

All surplus mags should fit all AKs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they like the saga's? I had no idea a regular mag wouldnt fit a unconverted saiga. So could it be the same thing with some yugo's?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, let us know what the rifle is doing so we can address the issue.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered up all the parts to build a M70B1 with a AK Builder flat
Got a mag off ebay for setup and to use
What showed up was a Saiga ... did not fit the trunnion in the front.

Borrowed a Tapco from a friend and pressed on with building.
All is good works fine w the Tapco ... so I fingered id get some 10 round Koreans from Aim ... because I like the looks of steel ones in my restored style gun better than the plastic.

They don’t fit in the well ... I filed the catch ramp on them and got them to fit but they seem to not stick in deep enough ... they dont feed right.

Here’s the thing
Im in the commie state
No one I personally know builds these things and only 2 own one
No shops close to me carry a thing AK or know shit
Everything I must send away for

I just want to get my head wrapped around whats up before buying anything else and id like to fix what I have.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't buy them shit Korean mags
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
80% build + assorted crappy mag = a tough one to diagnose.

You'll want to check the front of the selector stop. That is what limits the fore and aft movement of the magazine. Too short and your mags move around too much and causes FTFs, too long, the mags wont go in all the way.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Fairly certain your selector stop is the issue, assuming front trunnion is where it needs to be, which is hard to screw up. Are you getting bolt ride over, or just trouble getting mags in?

Selector stops are rarely a plug and play piece. That little piece of steel is your only correct way of establishing your mag fit. I usually use several surplus mags, both new and used from various countries as a guide when fitting the selector stop/trigger guard. Never would I use a Korean or US mag. Your situation is unique based on your state's laws, so I don't know what to say.

Also, don't dick with your mag catch. The only piece you should have to mess with is the selector stop, which probably means you need to remove the trigger guard from the receiver. I'm a firm believer in using small screws to temporarily attach a trigger guard assembly for function check.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
dryflash
Sorry I was thinking more would see the question here and from what iv read some mags not working in everything  isn’t just a BIY issue.
Plus I wasn’t planning on going into a long explanation ... I was thinking there had to be an existing magazine fitting or whatever thread here somewhere.

Hueto
Before I started putting it together I knew to get two or three to set it up with before riveting anything .. it just wasn’t happening.
I did use screws to hold the trigger guard as I set the front trunnion depth  with the Tapco mag I mentioned.
It / the gun works perfect with that mag.

I got the Koreans assuming they would be close to the same fit ... now I obviously know their not and im just trying to find out where the heck to go now?
The Koreans don’t go in the well as deep ... 20 thousands less in the rear and about 10 less in the front.
So
Sometimes it starts to push the round forward and then the bolt gets over it somehow

This 10 round limit severely limits my options ... even more so because I want steel mags
I guess Ill just keep buying different mags and see what happens ... I have a blocked Romanian coming in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I fortunately there's no guide to which mags will fit what rifles, because such a thing can't exist. Those wide manufacturing tolerances that we all love about the AK also applies to the mags. Milsurp mags are especially bad about variance, even within the same arsenal. It really is a matter of trial and error. Typically, filing the rear locking lug just enough to fit is your fix, though you may need to try a few different mags first to determine whether it's your mags or your rifle that's causing the issue.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Im fairly certain the magazines are the problem but there’s one more thing I can check now that I think about it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got done riveting a romy together last night and encountered a similar problem as OP. I had checked mag fit and lockup with mags from several different countries but after riveting in the front trunnion things seem to have shifted slightly and the mags would no longer fit and lock up.

The way I fixed it was to break out the small file set and file some on the tiny tab that sticks out a bit on the selector stop plate at the rear on the mag opening along with a slight filing of the mag catch lever and now while mags do have a tight fit, they do insert fully and remove as they should. You could try some cold blue or a sharpie marker on the rear tabs of the mag to find out where it's hanging up at and make adjustments from there. What was happening was at first the selector stop was hitting the area above the locking tab on the mag and blocking it from inserting all the way, once that was fixed the selector stop/mag catch lever needed a bit of work since now the mags went in fully but the lever wouldn't snap in under the tab. 15 min.of file work later and it was working  

In my case the kit didn't have the original selector stop with it so I had to source one that hadn't been fitted and maybe the front trunnion shifted a bit during riveting tightening things up enough to make it difficult. Oh well, it's fixed and working now. Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks ... iv got things working
Basically it boiled down to ... the followers in the Korean 10 round magazines are kinda junk / badly made.
The rounds sit canted down in the rear so the bolt wants to ride over ... out of six two work fine.
And
The Tapco mag would basically fit lose in a normal size mag well / gun .... using it (only) to set my trunnion depth was a mistake.
The European mags I have now work perfectly after some mild filing ... also after returning the borrowed Tapco I found a way to get some and they work as is.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top