Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2001 2:00:20 PM EDT
The following link is a view of barrel break-in and cleaning from Krieger Barrels and Gale McMillan on a discussion forum:

From the Krieger Barrels web site:
www.kriegerbarrels.com/break_in_and_cleaning.html

From Gale McMillan, courtesy AR15Fan:
yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I used the Remington Arms recommended method for all rifles- Clean between shots fired for the first ten (10) rounds and you're done. Right, wrong or indifferent, this is what I did for the MT6530 and I'm not going to think or worry about it for the rest of my natural life.(By the way, I posed the question to Colt technical support and they said no break-in is required for Colt rifles. Same people who told me the A2 sight is a same plane sight).
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I followed Armalite's break-in procedure & I'm really impressed with the results. I don't know if it's listed on their web site or not.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Without a bore scope we are all guessing. But observable results following a breakin procedure yields a barrel that won't foul as fast, and is easier to clean.

If you read Precision shooting [they got bore scopes] the first few inches in front of the chamber is hard to clean, and some guns also have problem area a few inches from the muzzle. How hard those areas are to clean depends alot on the velocity of the round, if your smoking them up toward max velocity carbon fouling in those area's usually build up fast. Barrel material also has some effect.

Also some debate has raged that moly just hides the copper underneath thus giving you a fake sense of a clean barrel.

For production barrels that are rough, breakin works, how to document what to do exactly is tough unless you can examine the barrel after every shot with just a little brushing to clean loose crud out.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top