Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2009 4:48:01 PM EDT
anybody ever used anti seize lubricant like the ones for shotgun choketubes and muzzeloader breech plugs, to lube their ar's, i just applied some this evening to my own ar, im going shooting tomm to test it out, the lube itself has a very high temperature range up in to the 1000's degree's and up, just wanted to know yalls opinion on it
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Antisieze is not lube. Don't use it as such.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Anti-seize is hardly the best lubricant for the AR platform. Better choices exist and are readily available. Before doing something like this, folks oughtta ask themsleves, "What "problem" does this "solve"?"

Will it work? Maybe.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should but, it is your rifle and your right to risk possible damage to it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Permatex anti-sieze lube on the contact surfaces between the hammer and trigger.  It really smothes up the trigger pull.  I use Slip 2000 EWL everywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Anti-seize is aluminum powder mixed with a carrier grease.  Do you really want to be using what are essentially metal shavings for a lube?

(edit: *usually* aluminum.  They make high-temp copper and nickel based anti-seize too, but I doubt that's what you got there)
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I just found out about a new lube made by Dupont, its called Krytox grease it has Teflon in it they also offer it in oil form too. When i looked it up on Duponts web site, they offer it in many different grades and one web site   http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm did a test of about 100 different types of grease and this stuff just blew everything else away. The only draw back i see to this product is its cost a small 2 OZ tube is over 30 bucks but it sure looks like its worth the money..
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Just be careful.  Some type of anti-seize compound contain graphite.  As far as AR assembly is concerned, graphite is a no-go for greasing the threads of the upper receiver where the barrel nut attaches.  Graphite is an electrical conductor and use of it can result in galvanic corrosion.  

I'd be concerned about using it with a steel bolt carrier and aluminum upper receiver.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Anit seize is an abrasive. It is NOT a LUBE........ Its for fixed bolts or such. Ive seen gears in multimillion dollars equipment eaten away from from a dumbass used antiseize instead of proper grease. No do not use it. warDawg
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried applying a light coat of nickel anti-sieze on the bolt tail to facilitate the stubborn carbon that builds up there. Although it did seem to help prevent the buildup somewhat I deemed it not worth the extra effort. As far as using it as a lube? No, it has no real lubricating properties.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried applying a light coat of nickel anti-sieze on the bolt tail to facilitate the stubborn carbon that builds up there. Although it did seem to help prevent the buildup somewhat I deemed it not worth the extra effort. As far as using it as a lube? No, it has no real lubricating properties.

The carbon build up on the bolt tail won't hurt anything.  You don't have to scrape it off.  Leave it alone for a while and you'll see that the carbon "growth" is self-limiting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
ok i get it guys, i was just kinda doing it as a experiment, it functioned fine, but i only fired like 200 rounds, i just did it for a 1 time deal just to see what happened, thats it
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top