Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2009 11:40:59 AM EDT
Damn, you guys are going to think less of me for asking this.  I'm a little paranoid after a receiver I have had in a sealed ziploc for year, soaked in CLP all of a sudden showed 5 or six tinay craters (all over) ????

I like to keep my guns lubed up in the safe...just as added protection against rust and corrosion.  I've always been told this idea is A-OK.   I coat my ARs w/ Slip 2000 EWL.  Stuff says it protects as well as lubes.  

Here we go.  I've noticed that due to cloths and cotton tip applicators I use to clean, little squigily fibers are left behind all over the rifle.  Upper, lower, barrel..everywhere.  They show up when I coat everything with the Slip 200 EWL.  I never thought it caused an issue, it's just annoying to me...as I always want the guns looking shiny new.  Is this of any harm or concern to the metal of the firearms or is my OCD just kicked into over drive?
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That's gonna happen. Doesn't hurt at all. I wipe my guns down with a bunch of cheapo white T-shirts I bought to use as gun rags. Leaves some white fibers but never hurts anything. If you want to minimize visibility, use a black T-shirt. That's what Quib said he uses and it worked great for him.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say the OCD.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]

You may want to consider talking to someone about your OCD, i'm only half joking.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Should sell it to me for a $100
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem with my rifle. I kept it oiled pretty well, but after a few months in the safe (I don't shoot it much because I want to preserve its value) I noticed that the fibers must have trapped some moisture with them and I found little rust spots all over where they were. I wiped everything down with a microfiber towel that didn't leave any fibers and re-oiled it and I haven't had a problem since. I really hope that the tiny (you almost need a magnifying glass to see them) rust spots don't ruin the value of the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Market, it's already ruined

Don't any of you know how much cotton accelerates rust and how bad that is on AR15's?

Jeez, I expected people on AR15.com to take better care of their gear.  Please just tell me it wasnt a Noveski rifle... please.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't any of you know how much cotton accelerates rust and how bad that is on AR15's?

Jeez, I expected people on AR15.com to take better care of their gear.  Please just tell me it wasnt a Noveski rifle... please.

It's a DPMS that I bought like 10 years ago. I really try to limit the wear and tear I put on it. I have almost 200 rounds through it since it's new. I really should buy something else to use as a beater rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Obviously not.  In the years that I've been on the board and been shooting that's the first I've heard of that.  Why do they sell cotton swabs to clean your guns?  Why are the barrel cleaning patches cotton?  What rag is available out there that isn't cotton?  I used the microfiber towel...and got microfibers on the gun.  Out of curiosity, how can the cotton fiber hold moisture on the gun when it's drenched in protective lubricant?  I hope you're right about this...otherwise this is not helping my OCD!

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
These forums seem to be getting more and more feminine every time I read them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These forums seem to be getting more and more feminine every time I read them.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously not.  In the years that I've been on the board and been shooting that's the first I've heard of that.  Why do they sell cotton swabs to clean your guns?  Why are the barrel cleaning patches cotton?  What rag is available out there that isn't cotton?  I used the microfiber towel...and got microfibers on the gun.  Out of curiosity, how can the cotton fiber hold moisture on the gun when it's drenched in protective lubricant?  I hope you're right about this...otherwise this is not helping my OCD!

Obviously they sell cotton swabs in an effort to get people to ruin their guns so they will buy news ones. If you got "microfibers" on your gun, it is clear the towels you are using are not realy microfibers, since real ones do not leave any fibers. The cotton is an uber-tough material that can hold moisture in under any circumstance, so you really do need to be careful, as I have seen this happen first hand with a full auto M16, and it was ruined. The owner lost over $10,000 with that mistake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously they sell cotton swabs in an effort to get people to ruin their guns so they will buy news ones. If you got "microfibers" on your gun, it is clear the towels you are using are not realy microfibers, since real ones do not leave any fibers. The cotton is an uber-tough material that can hold moisture in under any circumstance, so you really do need to be careful, as I have seen this happen first hand with a full auto M16, and it was ruined. The owner lost over $10,000 with that mistake.

Damn it! I'll be cleaning of those suckers ASAP, with actual microfiber towels.   My trusted OCD never fails me.  Now, if I can just wash these damn hands clean!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Whenever storing my firearms for a long period of time (I only shoot once or twice a year if I'm lucky), I vacuum pack EVERYTHING after spraying everything down throughly with an air hose.  Vacuum Packing severely limits rust and with a good coat of oil should never be a problem.  I usually vacuum pack the upper/lower seperately, then the mags, then the optics, then my surefire + mount, then the vertical foregrip and green laser.  Makes it easier to store as it doesnt take up as much space.  Id recommend you try that if your having rusting/pitting problems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#15]
How do you vacuum seal em?  The Food Vacuum Sealer?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#16]
yep, just get bigger bags
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#17]
you guys need to try zmax on you guns... carroll shelby endorses it... it's lube that penetrates the metal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#18]
i forgot to mention, before vacuum packing it, make sure you put it in a food dehydrator to get ALL of the moisture out.

I prefer the Ronco food dehydrator, as it is a trusted name in consumer food products.  I had great luck with the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie, and as with the rotisserie, you can put your lower in the food dehydrator, SET IT, AND FORGET IT!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I use cotton to wipe down my guns and I never had a problem with rust in my safe. I keep a heavy coat of oil on them though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i forgot to mention, before vacuum packing it, make sure you put it in a food dehydrator to get ALL of the moisture out.

I prefer the Ronco food dehydrator, as it is a trusted name in consumer food products.  I had great luck with the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie, and as with the rotisserie, you can put your lower in the food dehydrator, SET IT, AND FORGET IT!!!

Aw S%&^!  You know the entire thread is FUBAR when Ronco (and slogan) has been mentioned.    

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top