BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2005 1:53:45 PM EDT
Has anyone else tried the Militec-1 metal conditioner?  I decided to buy a bottle after a story I saw on the Soldiers for the Truth website and reading the various testimonials (http://www.militec-1.com/) from the trigger pullers in Iraq/Afghanistan.  Overall, I'm satisfied with the product. I will say however, that I haven't  noticed any significant reduction in the amount of carbon or fouling build-up as advertised by Militek over using CLP.  Its biggest advantage seems to be its dry lube/molecular bonding characteristics.  BTW, before posting this I did a search on Militec but came up empty.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Some swear by it others hate it. I myself don't like if for many reasons. It has absolute ZERO rust protection. Gums up in cold weather. You need to heat it up in an oven or with a heat gun to get the full lube potential out of it. Tell me what Soldier in the field is going to have access to an oven or hair drier to use on his gun to heat up the Militec so it works properly?!?!?! NONE! Also the people behind Militec have been caught fibbing and using imorral marketing tactics to see their product.

Why even use it when there are MUCH better oil to be had anyway? Slip 2000, Mil-Comm to name a couple blow Militec away in every aspect of what an oil should do.

Don't take my word for it do some reading and make up your own mind. Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I use it in all my rifles, and it works great. I am not a big fan of Break Free with CLP

If your going to use it, I had the best results by first taking the Bolt, and carrier out and soaking them down, and then placing them in a cheapie toaster oven.

Set the heat at 175 degrees and let it bake for about 8 to10 hours so it bonds good with the metal. Take it out and let it cool down.

Then before you go to the range, wipe the bolt and carrier down again and run a few patches down the bore and take it out shooting. Get it good and warm and your done. You can still keep using it. The more you use the better

Remember this is for lube not rust protection,  for oil on the rest of my rifles, I use Clenzoil
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the stuff.  I found out about the stuff when I purchased my Barrett 50BMG.  They REQUIRE it for thier break in procedure.

I have been using it on everything since then.  

I did a little testing with it to find out whether or not it does offer rust protection or not.  In my experiment, I took a piece of raw steel rod and treated it with Militec using a heat gun.  That piece of raw steel has been handled by 100's of hands and has been sitting on my workbench for 2 years now without any sign of oxidation.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Snake oil (Actually closer related to the Soybean and the Marketing WHORES!) at best.

If Millitec were a recovery strap, the crap wouldn't pull a Fat Broad out of a Doughnut shop!

I ain't even gonna mention the Honorless piles of steaming Goat puke, that choose to fatten their wallets, by advertising using the blood of our own fallen as proof that their snake oil would be better.

Politics?

Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invest in a local politician and badger the process into taking the cheaper route...

That way you are sure to get a NSN for a unrelated application, but an NSN nonetheless.

There is a small,dark, and rather painfull corner in hell, that is reserved for assmaggots that would do as militec has done.

No time, No love, no use, nor have I any reason to allow an exception when plain old Valvoline works better than the stuff they chose to market using our fallen as proof.

S-28
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it's a great lube.  Use it, and when you use your weapon, it'll heat itself.  Or, if you're "in the field", just lay your weapon in the sun.  Rust protection?  I don't think so, but I don't use it as such, so no worries there.  I've got more than 7K rounds of wolf through my miltec rifle with no cleanings, no failures., the clp didn't do nearly as well.

BTW Search for "MILTEC", no second I.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Snake oil (Actually closer related to the Soybean and the Marketing WHORES!) at best.

If Millitec were a recovery strap, the crap wouldn't pull a Fat Broad out of a Doughnut shop!

I ain't even gonna mention the Honorless piles of steaming Goat puke, that choose to fatten their wallets, by advertising using the blood of our own fallen as proof that their snake oil would be better.

Politics?

Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invest in a local politician and badger the process into taking the cheaper route...

That way you are sure to get a NSN for a unrelated application, but an NSN nonetheless.

There is a small,dark, and rather painfull corner in hell, that is reserved for assmaggots that would do as militec has done.

No time, No love, no use, nor have I any reason to allow an exception when plain old Valvoline works better than the stuff they chose to market using our fallen as proof.

S-28

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
If you don't mind your firearms rusting, go with militec-1.
FP-10 and Slip 2000 CLP seem to work better but none of them currently meet 63460D either.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Some swear by it others hate it. I myself don't like if for many reasons. It has absolute ZERO rust protection. Gums up in cold weather. You need to heat it up in an oven or with a heat gun to get the full lube potential out of it. Tell me what Soldier in the field is going to have access to an oven or hair drier to use on his gun to heat up the Militec so it works properly?!?!?! NONE!  Also the people behind Militec have been caught fibbing and using imorral marketing tactics to see their product.

Why even use it when there are MUCH better oil to be had anyway? Slip 2000, Mil-Comm to name a couple blow Militec away in every aspect of what an oil should do.

Don't take my word for it do some reading and make up your own mind. Happy shooting!

I'll tell you what soldier or Marine in the field will have as an oven.....it's called Iraq.  Temps over there right now are running in the upper 120degrees and sometimes higher.  Trust me....they have an oven!!  If you put your rifle out in the sun for any length of time it gets too hot to touch.

Militec is good stuff.  I like it as a lube on my ARs.  It worked really well in the Iraqi desert too.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FP-10 and Slip 2000 CLP seem to work better but none of them currently meet 63460D either.

The Slip2000 site explicitly states that their CLP meets or exceeds the requirements of 63460D and provides some testing documentation to that effect.  Do you have information to the contrary?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Enough already Militec = Crap.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Slip2000 site explicitly states that their CLP meets or exceeds the requirements of 63460D and provides some testing documentation to that effect.  Do you have information to the contrary?

That's rich...I'm curious how someone can meet or exceed requirements set forth in a given testing protocol, without undergoing a test carried out by those administering that same protocol...

I could say  that my homemade lube (olive oil based slick stuff) meets or exceeds Mil-63460E...I have testing documentation to that effect.  I tested it myself in my basement.  If you don't believe me, please provide info to the contrary...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's rich...I'm curious how someone can meet or exceed requirements set forth in a given testing protocol, without undergoing a test carried out by those administering that same protocol...

I could say  that my homemade lube (olive oil based slick stuff) meets or exceeds Mil-63460E...I have testing documentation to that effect.  I tested it myself in my basement.  If you don't believe me, please provide info to the contrary...

You could have saved yourself from posting the above if you had bothered to check out exactly what Slip2000 claims on their website, which includes pdfs of tests results from independent laboratories.

Of course no one cares what some anonymous user of the internets claims he has done in his basement when he allows no possibility for verifiability.  That is clearly not the case with Slip2000, as their both their product and the testing results are publically available.  If what they provide there is false or otherwise misleading, I would like to know why.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know, Mya gency has been using it for a good while now on all sorts of weapons including Sigs, M-4s, SAWs, 240s, Etc. and all with good results.  No rust yet...  Maybe if you just totally neglet your weapon, but if you are cleaning it regularly as you should with a weapon used in a life safety situation, you won't have a problem.  I have used it on my issue M-4 over here in Afghanistan all last winter when it was freezing cold...no problems...and now when its beyond hot...same good results.  I like it because unlike CLP, the Miltech doesn't dry out.  The only malfunctions I have had was when my weapon got dry after using CLP.  Just to be fair to CLP, it was about 500 rounds into a range session too.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#15]
The Messages about lubricants drying out, seriously.  I purchased a bottle of Militec-1 some time ago.  Applied it to a friend who was working in Maryland as a Police Officer.  Applied the Militec-1 to the barrel, slide and frame rails.  Every four or five weeks he would come up and I would inspect the firearm.  Bone dry!  He would tell me that he did not wipe the Militec-1 off and would store the gun in a car during the summer.  Hence, the guns oil would evaporate.  Regarding Break Free CLP - that would also evaporate and the solvent is probably responsible for a lot of the evaporation.  Oil does dry out and needs reapplication.  Under dusty conditions, prudence and restraint using a wet lubricant should be exercised.  I am sure that Iraq would be capable of drying out virtually any type of gun oil.  About the only oil that does not really dry out all that quickly is Break-Free "LP" (solid film lubricant w/out the solvent and FP10).  FP10 is my all time favorite.    
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. The QPL for 63460D does not have anything other than Armor Holding's Break free CLP, Royco, and a few other CLPs. Slip 2000, Militec-1, FP-10, whatever other product that claims to meet/exceed 63460, are not on the QPL. Therefore they either DO meet the spec but did not submit it for testing (unlikely), or it never passed 63460D, which means it cannot get onto the QPL. A NSN assignment doesn't mean anything other than it makes it slightly easier to order in the procurement system.
Slip 2k's MIL-X is supposed to be undergoing testing to comply with 63460E but in the presence of reviewing officials (proper way to do it). You will hear some vendors complain about the amount of money required for the official testing. It's a necessary evil if you want your product to be known as a bona fide deal, otherwise you just depend on marketing to sell your product.

I could make up my own test, claim it is the same as 63460, and claim my product meets that test. Ok great. If it does meet it, submit it (along with money) for official testing. Once it passes and gets on the QPL, everyone will know it is the real deal.
otherwise if you know it won't pass, you won't submit it along with money for official testing. Instead you will rely on marketing and possibly skewed independent tests to sell your product.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Slip 2000 current CLP passed all military tests required to qualify for 63460D. I spoke to the head of Slip and he confirmed this. Right now Slips new CLP is going through tests again done by the Military and so far has passed all of them.  There have been other oils that have exceeded 63460D(passed real military tests done by the military) but did not get excepted for different reasons mostly political and $$$$ reasons and never ended up on the QPL. Just because they did not get selected to be on the QPL does not mean they did not pass 63460D requirments. There are more factors involved then just passing tests.

Slip is the real deal and their new and old CLP exceeds 63460D no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You could have saved yourself from posting the above if you had bothered to check out exactly what Slip2000 claims on their website, which includes pdfs of tests results from independent laboratories.

Of course no one cares what some anonymous user of the internets claims he has done in his basement when he allows no possibility for verifiability.  That is clearly not the case with Slip2000, as their both their product and the testing results are publically available.  If what they provide there is false or otherwise misleading, I would like to know why.

Independent lab testing showed Slick 50 to add half a gazillion miles to your engine's service life...I can't provide information to prove them wrong.

Your point is?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#19]
It's political and involves money.
But if it's not on the QPL and does not meet official government testing/compliance, the vendor cannot be held accountable if their product fails to meet whatever spec it unofficially meets.

It's like saying an automaker unofficially meets SAE and FMVSS standards for their vehicle parts. "Yea don't worry about it, the official testing is all politics and money." How comfortable would you feel buying from such a vendor?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Independent lab testing showed Slick 50 to add half a gazillion miles to your engine's service life...I can't provide information to prove them wrong.

Your point is?

You can't be serious?

Read this again:

Of course no one cares what some anonymous user of the internets claims he has done in his basement when he allows no possibility for verifiability.  That is clearly not the case with Slip2000, as their both their product and the testing results are publically available.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]
bake it ?why?it says on the container I have to fire the weapon or to bake it.and if you ask the company they will send you a free sample of what you ask forI got a small tube of "conditioner and a small jar of grease.if this does anything I dont know,on the container it says"metal conditioner" where rust prevention came from I dont know.I have not seen them advertise that.Is it worth the money?I have not seen any + or neg results.to me ,I dont see any change in using it .but hell I got it free.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
bake it ?why?it says on the container I have to fire the weapon or to bake it.and if you ask the company they will send you a free sample of what you ask forI got a small tube of "conditioner and a small jar of grease.if this does anything I dont know,on the container it says"metal conditioner" where rust prevention came from I dont know.I have not seen them advertise that.Is it worth the money?I have not seen any + or neg results.to me ,I dont see any change in using it .but hell I got it free.

When you bake it in, the lube pentrates and bonds to the metal.

I just did the bolt and carrier on my latest build today.

It was 94 degress outside so I hung it out to dry in the sun, Mother Nature works great
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was 94 degress outside so I hung it out to dry in the sun, Mother Nature works great

Militec-1 has no rust protection. Some 1911 owners experienced significant corrosion underneath the wood panels where the Militec-1 seeps in.
Some LEOs that used Militec-1 on duty/carry pistols noticed them starting to rust within a few weeks.

Whether it is a great lube or not is not really important. Most firearms are designed to run dry, like the AR-15 and Glock.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd rather use wd40 over miltec, and everyone knows that wd40 is not the best thing to use.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#25]
There are a lot of soliders in parts of the world that are not hot like Iraq. So what do they do to heat up their gun so Militec will work.......hold on Sarg I need to use my hair dryer on my gun before we go on patrol! Give me a break! Militec is 100% crap and nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
There are a lot of soliders in parts of the world that are not hot like Iraq. So what do they do to heat up their gun so Militec will work.......hold on Sarg I need to use my hair dryer on my gun before we go on patrol! Give me a break! Militec is 100% crap and nothing more.

It doesn't need to be heated up to work.  And even if it did....what do you think happens when you shoot it?  Ever feel that warm feeling coming from the rifle when you shoot it?  It's called heat!!!

Anyway, you don't like it??....that's fine.  But it can't be "100%" crap because people like it and use it.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Like I said before, Militec-1 doesn't have any measure to protect metals from rust/corrosion. Use it at your own risk. Of course if you only have range queens you will never run into this problem. It's the guys in the field, on patrol, and carrying that are experiencing rust when using Militec-1.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Like I said before, Militec-1 doesn't have any measure to protect metals from rust/corrosion. Use it at your own risk. Of course if you only have range queens you will never run into this problem. It's the guys in the field, on patrol, and carrying that are experiencing rust when using Militec-1.

My unit in Iraq last year used it "in the field, on patrol, and carrying" and we didn't have any rust.  Not that we were in a very rust prone environment though.  We loved it and it beats CLP hands down in a dusty environment.  You make a very blanket statement that's not 100% accurate.  However, I only use Militec on the bolt and carrier.  If I need rust prevention then I use FP10 or Breakfree if that's all I have.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't know, Mya gency has been using it for a good while now on all sorts of weapons including Sigs, M-4s, SAWs, 240s, Etc. and all with good results.  No rust yet...  Maybe if you just totally neglet your weapon, but if you are cleaning it regularly as you should with a weapon used in a life safety situation, you won't have a problem.  I have used it on my issue M-4 over here in Afghanistan all last winter when it was freezing cold...no problems...and now when its beyond hot...same good results.  I like it because unlike CLP, the Miltech doesn't dry out.  The only malfunctions I have had was when my weapon got dry after using CLP.  Just to be fair to CLP, it was about 500 rounds into a range session too.  

I've been using it for awhile in my carbines with no problems whatsoever.  The lack of rust protection has concerned me some and I've wondered about the SLIP2000.

Brother, do I know you?  You haven't trained with Larry Vickers lately, have you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Used it on my first deployment found that using CLP in small quantities (like a Q-tip to lube the whole weapon) worked as well.   My first deployment I took about ever wonder lube know to man (I don't think Slip 2000 was out yet) and in reality I won't say one was too much superior to other, but I do have a preference to TW-25B for lube (in the same less than Q-tip quantity) and FP1000 for post shooting cleaning.  With dally cleaning more of a wipe down vice scrubbing the hell out of the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#31]
If you want the best lube for friction protection, corrosion protection,as well as easy clean up, try MD Labs XF-7. I have been using it for 9 months now, and it is superior to Militec, and CLP as a lube, and protectant. It is not a cleaner.

See the Tech. Sheet and testimonials at www.mdtactical.com

Tack
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My unit in Iraq last year used it "in the field, on patrol, and carrying" and we didn't have any rust.  Not that we were in a very rust prone environment though.  We loved it and it beats CLP hands down in a dusty environment.  You make a very blanket statement that's not 100% accurate.  However, I only use Militec on the bolt and carrier.  If I need rust prevention then I use FP10 or Breakfree if that's all I have.

Ask anyone that has a carry pistol that has used Militec-1. The salt from your perspiration will allow the untreated metals to rust. I wouldn't use it (i have a lot of it) for long term storage, plus it uses some type of chlorinated paraffin for the lubricity. FP-10 smells nasty to me (cinnamon smell, like the nasty chewing gum scent) and didn't pass my corrosion test. BF CLP had no problems passing the test.

Most firearms are designed to run dry. If you like Militec-1 keep using it, it's no skin off my back.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't need to be heated up to work.  And even if it did....what do you think happens when you shoot it?  Ever feel that warm feeling coming from the rifle when you shoot it?  It's called heat!!!

Anyway, you don't like it??....that's fine.  But it can't be "100%" crap because people like it and use it.  

Yes a gun is heated when fired but the inside of the reciever which has most of the moving parts does not get that hot like a barrel does. I have emptied my AR as fast as I can pull the trigger and the reciever just feels warm to the touch. Probibly not hot enough to activate the Militec and that is where you need protection, not in the bore where the real heat is.

It might not be 100% crap but there are so many other oils to be had that are much better in every aspect to Militec that I just can't see why someone would use it. If they did their homework and a little digging/reading they would see that Militce is no wonder lube.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ask anyone that has a carry pistol that has used Militec-1. The salt from your perspiration will allow the untreated metals to rust. I wouldn't use it (i have a lot of it) for long term storage, plus it uses some type of chlorinated paraffin for the lubricity. FP-10 smells nasty to me (cinnamon smell, like the nasty chewing gum scent) and didn't pass my corrosion test. BF CLP had no problems passing the test.

Most firearms are designed to run dry. If you like Militec-1 keep using it, it's no skin off my back.

I carried my M9 with miltec on it during OIF 1, didn't notice a rust problem but may have been because it was in either a drop holster or on the front of my armor, also the enviroment was dry with only a few rain storms.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yes a gun is heated when fired but the inside of the reciever which has most of the moving parts does not get that hot like a barrel does. I have emptied my AR as fast as I can pull the trigger and the reciever just feels warm to the touch. Probibly not hot enough to activate the Militec and that is where you need protection, not in the bore where the real heat is.

It might not be 100% crap but there are so many other oils to be had that are much better in every aspect to Militec that I just can't see why someone would use it. If they did their homework and a little digging/reading they would see that Militce is no wonder lube.

If you've never felt the receiver get warm then you've not fired much ammo!  I've fired ARs and M16s till you couldn't touch most of the rifle because it was too hot.

Anyway, guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Militec.  I say it's good stuff.  Apparently you don't feel the same way.  

To those reading, YMMV.  If you wonder yourself then just give it a try and see if you like it or not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If you've never felt the receiver get warm then you've not fired much ammo!  I've fired ARs and M16s till you couldn't touch most of the rifle because it was too hot.

+1
That's one of two reasons I have a foregrip,
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#37]
From Militec's site: "...works within the molecular structure and micropores of metal and non-metallic surfaces of weapons."

When they refer to the "molecular" structure of steel, there's real reason to believe they're shysters.  Certainly no scientists.  Their product seems to be based on the same science as the whole body tonic I saw advertised on a hand-painted sign on county trunk W...

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes forward grips get very hot but they do not need to be oiled. I have fired off several full mag rapid fire and the reciever never got that hot like a barrel does, I could leave my hand on it no prob!

Militec even says to use a hair drier or oven to get the most out of their oil. It's pure BS!

But yes don't take my word for it, try it yourselves!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I have, and the lower got too hot to confortably hold with gloved hands.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have, and the lower got too hot to confortably hold with gloved hands.

Ya must be a sissy then.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Militec-1 has no rust protection. Some 1911 owners experienced significant corrosion underneath the wood panels where the Militec-1 seeps in.
Some LEOs that used Militec-1 on duty/carry pistols noticed them starting to rust within a few weeks.

Whether it is a great lube or not is not really important. Most firearms are designed to run dry, like the AR-15 and Glock.

Where on earth did you get the idea that AR's and Glocks are designed to run 'dry'? It sure as hell doesn't say that in any owner's manual that I have read, or the TM for the M-16.
And I think that it would have been covered in the Glock Armorer class that Glock gives.

Quit passing false info.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I was curious about that statement myself. The only thing I can find for my Glock is that it says not to lube the polymer rail that the slide sits on. Other than that, make sure everything else inside the slide is lightly lubed and protected.

Quoted:

Where on earth did you get the idea that AR's and Glocks are designed to run 'dry'? It sure as hell doesn't say that in any owner's manual that I have read, or the TM for the M-16.
And I think that it would have been covered in the Glock Armorer class that Glock gives.

Quit passing false info.

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#43]
While it works fine as a wet lubricant,  Militec-1 is NOT a rust-preventative.  Not cold, not after heating to get into the "micropores" of the metal.

Real-world test results (Arfcom/Defensive Edge Alumni shoot in the rain + 4 days in the Specter/CQB rig):

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Why on earth would someone allow their pistol to sit like that knowing it was wet?

Mind boggling no matter what lube you prefer!

I dont prefer militec but hey being in the military they will ship you any size bottle you want and that was enough for me to try it.  Worked fine as a lube BUT:

I swear by EEZOX
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 2:54:33 AM EDT
[#45]

So let me guess, you run your ARs with excessive lube in the bolt carrier area, and the bolt carrier rails, etc??? It's not NECESSARY because it attracts sand/grit. I've run my AR-15 dry before and never had a problem or malfunction. The black dry film finish itself is a "lube" on the AR-15 upper receiver.
The Glock manual specifies 6 or so drops of lube for the rails and the barrel. Are they absolutely necessary? Not really. It will just attract sand/grit/dirt. If the slide and barrel have a tennifer surface treatment, then theoretically it should never wear out even without lubrication. I've never had a problem running the Glock as dry as possible. Some people scrub with hot water and Simple green, and then dry it off tossing it aside never lubricating it with CLP or any other product.

Sometimes what they teach you in the classroom isn't necessarily the right thing to do in the field. ANY petroleum/water based product will attract sand/dirt/dust in the field unless its some anti-static dry lube.

Therefore I run all of my firearms as dry as possible. I apply some CLP and then wipe off as much as possible and sometimes the surface feels dry. Some DIs/TIs will instruct you to use so much CLP that it drips out of the rifle, or the soldiers aren't trained properly and that is how you get "jam-o-matic" M16s/M4s in the desert.

Militec-1 is an ENGINE OIL ADDITIVE marketed for firearms. I like the rust protection CLP offers as well as the cleaning solvents. It's not that great of a lubricant but I never HAD to run a lube in my AR or Glock or AK before.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Why on earth would someone allow their pistol to sit like that knowing it was wet?

Mind boggling no matter what lube you prefer!

I know, I've already been publicly flogged.

Bottom line was that I forgot about it: Training into the night on a Sunday, with an insane work schedule starting early the following morning, and running for several days.  The above photos weren't from an intentional test, rather they should be taken as a cautionary tale from someone who thought that Militec was a rust preventative.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Um, as a 2111 - YOU SHOULD NEVER RUN YOUR WEAPON DRY.

I used Miltec on my M9 and A2 (as well as a # of other weapons)  Leaving a thin coat on your weapon while in the armory will help (read as better than leaving it dry) to keep surface rust off caused by humidity.
Basic weapon maint.
You should always keep a thin coat on your weapon.  The weapons I had the most problems with were run dry in a dusty desert env.  The results varied, but all that were run dry went down, stuck bolt, exct.  How did I fix this?  Light coat of clp or miltec.
You really should never run an AR dry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Um, as a 2111 - YOU SHOULD NEVER RUN YOUR WEAPON DRY.

I used Miltec on my M9 and A2 (as well as a # of other weapons)  Leaving a thin coat on your weapon while in the armory will help (read as better than leaving it dry) to keep surface rust off caused by humidity.
Basic weapon maint.
You should always keep a thin coat on your weapon.  The weapons I had the most problems with were run dry in a dusty desert env.  The results varied, but all that were run dry went down, stuck bolt, exct.  How did I fix this?  Light coat of clp or miltec.
You really should never run an AR dry.

What you said makes sense for storage, but Militec-1 has no rust protection whatsoever. As someone who has actually tested Militec-1 for corrosion protection against CLP, the difference is night and day (militec-1 "treated" surfaces rust like there was nothing there, CLP protects the surfaces!)

I should have clarified myself earlier, when I say "dry", I meant basically wiping off as much of the excess product as possible. NOT as in "dry" like after you degreased the parts!
if there's enough product dripping out of your firearm, it's too much.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I have been using Slick 50 on my Glock for years and just recently on the Depts  AR and havent had any problems yet.  After reading all about Breakfree CLP, I may start using it on the AR and see how it works out, as it seems everyone else is using CLP on the AR.   I got a free sample of Miltec-1 and we used in on Dept AR's in a couple of basic rifle courses, and I was not impressed.  Seemed like it make the weapons harder to clean, or so the students said.  Just my 2 cents worth.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Acctually you do want to keep an AR/M16 lubed fairly well especially around the gas rings. The gun will last many times longer when lubed properly vs. running dry. We did a test with 6 new Rock River AR. 3 we oiled up and 3 were dry. After 500 round through each on the 1st day the 3 dry ones had much more wear on moving parts then the oiled guns. 2 years later and 3,000 rounds through each gun the dry ones are very worn on certain parts and some had to be replaced. The oiled guns have very little wear and no parts replaced.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top