Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2014 9:59:18 AM EDT
Does anyone use the AR15 chamber cleaning stars?  I can't justify spending 17 bucks on something that probably costs a quarter of a dollar to make, but if you guys recommend it, I might search under the sofa cushions for some spare change.

Thanks!

Tapco cleaning stars
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Does anyone use the AR15 chamber cleaning stars?  I can't justify spending 17 bucks on something that probably costs a quarter of a dollar to make, but if you guys recommend it, I might search under the sofa cushions for some spare change.

Thanks!

Tapco cleaning stars

View Quote
I've used them, they work as advertised, albeit a little pricey. I usually just clean it with a rag and call it done.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Not worth the money IMHO.  I use cotton swabs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
They are not really big enough to fill chamber plus they usually fall off whatever you put them on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Save your money and just use cotton swabs. Spend the money on ammo or reloading supplies.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
After a scrub with a chamber brush, I just take a large patch and some CLP, and use a dental pick to mop up the mess (tried q-tips, but my chamber has a few snaggy spots and I end up with cotton fibers all over)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Just a gimmick, I've tried them and not worth the money or hassle involved

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used them & they seem to work well. I like them.

Not sure they are worth the price though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Agree'd they seem like a good idea.. but a lot of money. why are they so expensive?

I fear the similar "chamber mop" is also  a total failure.. since the chamber lugs are typically sharp the mop catches on them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been using the same one for over 6 months.  After using a chamber brush and some qtips, it gets twisted onto a brass brush and dipped in Ed's Red.  I re-dip it to clean it and dry it off with a paper towel after I am done.  

I think it may only work so well for me because of the Ed's Red; I would not use CLP on it because that would be a huge waste of CLP and not be easily cleanable.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top