Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2014 10:11:46 PM EDT
Ive never even considered this before. but shot a new upper today with an AIM 9310 BCG and PSA upper and the marks on the PSA barrel extension are marking the face of the bolt carrier.

The four dimples as shown on this pic are creating a matching mark on the front face of the AIM Bolt Carrier.

Edited to add bot carrier face photos.

this is after firing 60-rounds of XM193
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
It certainly does.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Normal. It will wear in and stop making further ugly marks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
What else is going to stop its forward movement?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, bolt to barrel breach area, and carrier to face of barrel extension with mate to each other on bolt lock up.

But to back it up, Why the fuck does the front of the carrier surface have a protrusion/bump on it since it will mate up with the front of the barrel extension on lock up.   The front side of the carrier should be flush/smooth as a babies ass, and I would get Aim on the phone for at least a replacement B/C since the one you have has a factory flaw on it, if not a new barrel as well due to the damage that the defective B/C did to the barrel extension as well.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//JP_Bolt_Carrier.jpg
https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/XAIMNIBBDGBCG.jpg
View Quote

What carrier is that in the first pic?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The 4 "dimples" in the OP's post almost look like the imprints from a Brinell hardness test.  If they were in fact impressions from that test, perhaps the front of the BCG is showing some "ghost" marking on the front of it as a result of the rest of the carrier contacting the extension, but not those 4 areas.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice cleaning job. It's spotless. What did you use?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 4 "dimples" in the OP's post almost look like the imprints from a Brinell hardness test.  If they were in fact impressions from that test, perhaps the front of the BCG is showing some "ghost" marking on the front of it as a result of the rest of the carrier contacting the extension, but not those 4 areas.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can see grabbing a raw barrel extension to do hardness test on for the batch lot, but to throw the "dimpled to hell" hardness tested barrel extension (in a bearing area) back into the batch to be used to actually produce a barrel with, just wrong in so many ways.
View Quote

Just curious why you feel that way.  It doesn't appear to affect function or strength, and other than cosmetic issues, wouldn't be a problem.  I don't know the specifics of the extension in terms of material and heat treat, but know a lot of precision parts for other industries have a brinell check to confirm proper heat treat. It is usually done in an area where it won't affect function but can serve as a good visual indicator that it went through the QC process.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]

If I remember correctly, there have been a couple of posts in other forums and I think the PSA industry form about these dimples.

I'm not sure if PSA or anyone else provided a reason for them.

Is it Colt that stamps M4 on their extension?

OP, how about a photo, in focus please, of the front of your carrier.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, there have been a couple of posts in other forums and I think the PSA industry form about these dimples.

I'm not sure if PSA or anyone else provided a reason for them.

Is it Colt that stamps M4 on their extension?

OP, how about a photo, in focus please, of the front of your carrier.

View Quote

I'll bet this.  Colt stamps a 4 on their M4 barrel extensions at the 3 o'clock position.  Perhaps PSA places 4 evenly spaced dimples on their M4 extensions at the 9 o'clock position?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Out of curiosity, I just looked at 5 AR's, including 1 from PSA, and none had these marks.  I still wouldn't worry too much about it, but might be worth a call to the manufacturer to confirm.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can see grabbing a raw barrel extension to do hardness test on for the batch lot, but to throw the "dimpled to hell" hardness tested barrel extension (in a bearing area) back into the batch to be used to actually produce a barrel with, just wrong in so many ways.
View Quote

I have an m&p with 3 test dimples. I assume they do it at steps in progression like machining,heat treat/ tempering and after melonite?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, I just looked at 5 AR's, including 1 from PSA, and none had these marks.  I still wouldn't worry too much about it, but might be worth a call to the manufacturer to confirm.
View Quote

Weird. Every one of my 10+ PSA uppers have had this. I thought it was common knowledge from them. And really they aren't PSA, it's FN (on the Premium line anyway)

From Joe Weir:
On our FN sourced barrels, FN cuts the profile, installs the M4 barrel extensions, drills the gas ports, cuts and crowns the muzzle, threads the end of the barrel, roll marks the barrel, phosphate coats the barrel, does the high pressure test and Mag particle inspects each one. We do not get FN barrel blanks, we get fully finished barrels from FN.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Weird. Every one of my 10+ PSA uppers have had this. I thought it was common knowledge from them. And really they aren't PSA, it's FN (on the Premium line anyway)

From Joe Weir:
On our FN sourced barrels, FN cuts the profile, installs the M4 barrel extensions, drills the gas ports, cuts and crowns the muzzle, threads the end of the barrel, roll marks the barrel, phosphate coats the barrel, does the high pressure test and Mag particle inspects each one. We do not get FN barrel blanks, we get fully finished barrels from FN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Joe Weir:

That is interesting.  The upper was in fact a "Premium" Upper and just shipped end of last week.  It was a "blem" according to the website, but I don't see anything wrong with it.  Maybe the blem is not having the dimples???  I haven't shot it yet, so the thing was very clean, and clearly no dimpled.  Better call and complain....  
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have guessed it was something left from the way it was clamped/secured in the machine making it.  Part of keeping it from rotating and in alignment through the process.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What else is going to stop its forward movement?
View Quote

I guess the cam track could but the pin would bust in a few rounds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Synyster06Gates, Please post photo's,  (Also StevenH, I still waiting to see photo's of the front of your carrier, since if the impacting denting is bad enough to the front of carrier, could cause the  carrier plating to flake off).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Joe Weir:

Synyster06Gates, Please post photo's,  (Also StevenH, I still waiting to see photo's of the front of your carrier, since if the impacting denting is bad enough to the front of carrier, could cause the  carrier plating to flake off).

Had a hard time getting photos. This is the best I could do. This is after only firing 60-rounds of XM193.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what it seems like to me.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed and nothing to be concerned about

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#25]
After viewing the topic pics I'm gonna say the dimples on the barrel extension do NOT match the marks on the Carrier.   The ones on the carrier are further apart while the dimples on the extension are in a smaller(shorter distance) cluster.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top