Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2012 7:30:24 AM EDT
So I meet my buddy last night for a few beers after work. He's been a gunsmith at the same shop since he came home from Viet Nam. Anyway, he starts telling me about a new RRA that a customer brought in for repairs because it wouldn't Ex/Ej. Long story short, after going through the entire gas system, he found that the gas key was not drilled completely out. It was drilled out enough for the gas tube to fit, but that was it. It wasn't plugged anywhere, just not drilled out. He replaced the gas key and everything worked fine after that. I have seen/heard of the carrier not being drilled with gas ports, but not the gas key.  Just a 'head's-up' in case anyone else experiences this problem on any AR, not just RRA.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
i read another post where the key wasn't drilled...

It can be easy to miss a step doing repetitive tasks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've seen it twice in ten years.  This woud be the third time.
If the smith wants to contact me, I'll replace the key that he used for the RRA purchaser to/for him, and get him some bling for his troubles.

Steve/RRA

Thanks, Steve. That is a kind gesture. He actually had a few extra keys laying around and already replaced it. If you'd like to contact him, he works at 'Shooter's Service' in Livonia, Mi. (734-525-1130). His name is 'Kurt'
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top