Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2007 4:22:16 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I own a Stag Arms 20" A3 and I have my front Iron sight post adjusted all the way up and I'm still shooting really high. I read somewhere that Stags have some issue with the front iron sight not being tall enough and / or the A3 carry handle is messed up...

Can anyone elaborate / explain this issue for me?

It's turned up really high, if you were to put a flat piece of whatever across the ears on the front sight, the sight post is level with them, and I'm reluctant to turn it up any higher for fear it could get damaged.

Would a new front iron help me fix this? Maybe a new rear iron peephole with the hole you look thru drilled a bit lower? It's an A3 and I'll be damned if I'm going to pull the barrel and make it an A2...

Any help would rule!
Thanks

Brock
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a taller front sight post from Brownells.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I assume the rear sight is all the way down?
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]
you are so right on the rear sight. I was just looking for a quick fix. thanx!
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
yes, my rear A2 is all the way down even, and my front sight post is all the way up... BUT, if i get a taller one, the front sight post will stick up above the front iron's protective "wings" or whatever you want to call them...

Is the problem with my A3 upper and removable carry handle, or the front iron?

Brock
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
could be? Is this a parts gun?
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]
There are two variations of the front sight base but there are also two variations of the carry handle.

The “F” marked front sight base is the exact same sight base as the non marked, the only difference is the shelf is .040 inches higher as it simply is not machined down the extra .040.  With the extended sight post (+.040) on a standard sight base you get the exact same sight picture as with the “F” marked sight base and a standard sight post.

There are two variations of the carry handle.  If you look at the “mil-spec” handle the contour of the handle matches the contour of the rear sight base and the shelf height is measured around .835 inches.  This is the handle for the “F” marked sight base.

The second carry handle has a lower rear sight.  If you look at the contour of the handle you will notice that the sight sits about .040 inches lower and the shelf height is about .795 inches.  This is the commercial height handle for use with a standard front sight base and is used by Bushy, DPMS, etc.

If you mis match the non “F” marked front sight with a mil-spec carry handle you may not be able to screw the sight pin high enough to match the higher carry handle rear sight.  The solution is a .040 higher front sight pin.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
No this is not a parts gun, strait from Stag Arms. Anyone know where I can get the higher front iron?

Brock

height=8
Quoted:
yes, my rear A2 is all the way down even, and my front sight post is all the way up... BUT, if i get a taller one, the front sight post will stick up above the front iron's protective "wings" or whatever you want to call them...

Brock
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No this is not a parts gun, strait from Stag Arms. Anyone know where I can get the higher front iron?

Brock

Quoted:

Brock

Damn brother, very first answer said Brownells.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
A2 Front Sight Post for Flat-Top Colts...(9349056-M)
Colt A3 Removable Carry Handle Sights are taller than A1& A2 Rear Sights, and require an .040” taller Front Sight Post. Also for use with Swan Sleeves & ARMS #40 sight

www.bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_sights_scopes_p4.asp
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a similar problem with my Bushmaster M4. I was way high at 100yds even with the rear sight bottomed out and the front sight as high as it could go. I also had some questionable accuracy (ie, poor) issues with the rifle.

I did install the taller front sight and that helped somewhat. I emailed Bushmaster and they issued an RMA for the rifle which I sent last week. I got an email stating I'll be getting a package from them tomorrow. don't know if they sent me a new upper, fixed my "old" upper............

I'll know tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#14]
You get your Bushy back yet? What did they say?

Brock

height=8
Quoted:
I had a similar problem with my Bushmaster M4. I was way high at 100yds even with the rear sight bottomed out and the front sight as high as it could go. I also had some questionable accuracy (ie, poor) issues with the rifle.

I did install the taller front sight and that helped somewhat. I emailed Bushmaster and they issued an RMA for the rifle which I sent last week. I got an email stating I'll be getting a package from them tomorrow. don't know if they sent me a new upper, fixed my "old" upper............

I'll know tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Stag had some QC issues with some of their ARs produced between summer of last year and summer of this year. Maybe you got one of them. They had some doing exactly what you state. Call them and let them know about it. They will send you a call tag to send it in and fix it. I know that is aggravating, but the only way to fix it right. I had a problem with getting one of the Stags that had some Bolt carrier group problems with short stroking. They were extremely tight. I worked on it but it was because I didn't want to send my rifle off. I got it working pretty good now, except it still short strokes with Wolf. If I can ever get about 500 rounds through it, it should loosen up. I am at about 80-100 now and it shoots most all brass stuff.
Good luck. I think it is an issue with the barrel mating to the upper actually causing the problem.
Chris
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top