Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 11:41:56 PM EDT
I'm going to install some free floated rails that use proprietary barrel nuts with wrench flats on them for hassle free install using common wrench attachments.

However, I've got to get the existing barrel nut/delta ring assembly off of my rifles. The common advice is of course to pay $30 for the AR armorers wrench, but before I do that, considering I'm not going to be reusing these barrel nuts, can they be removed with any standard tools? I thought about a strap wrench, but I'm not sure if that would work with the delta ring over the nut.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Using the tool meant for the job is always best, but you can push the delta ring back and grap the nut with some channellocks or visegrips.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You might just check with a gunsmith that works on AR's, explain what is going on and he/she might do it for you at little or no cost, I know one of our shops around here that will do it, no reason to ruin it, you can sell it and get a few bucks back on your new hand guard.

That said, you can do anything you want, I have seen guys, mount them in a vice and use a flat screw driver and ball peen hammer to get the m off, I have also seen slip joint pliers used to get them off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a hack saw once, ended sawing the barrel off before I realized what I have done.

Lesson learned, if your sawing for more then 6.25 hours, odds are your effed'n the A.

Amazon sells simple AR do it all wrenches for cheap.  Pony up, buy prime shipping, enjoy thousands of free movies and get the prick in mail in two days or less.

Boom, mike drop.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
If your not reusing it, a pipe wrench will work fine most likely, and probably with very little damage at that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Snap ring pliers to disassemble the delta ring and then a piece of leather scrap and pipe wrench, so you can either save it for later or sell it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Check in your state's HTF to see if there's a local member here who will lend you a wrench.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used a hack saw once, ended sawing the barrel off before I realized what I have done.

Lesson learned, if your sawing for more then 6.25 hours, odds are your effed'n the A.

Amazon sells simple AR do it all wrenches for cheap.  Pony up, buy prime shipping, enjoy thousands of free movies and get the prick in mail in two days or less.

Boom, mike drop.

View Quote

My buddy used a pipe wrench before he got the correct tools.

I'd dremel the delta ring and spring off first, then go for it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Snap ring pliers to disassemble the delta ring and then a piece of leather scrap and pipe wrench, so you can either save it for later or sell it.
View Quote

This ^^^
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't the barrel nut have to removed from the upper in order to get the snap ring pliers to work to spread the C clamp? Or can this be done while the whole barrel but/delta ring assembly is still on the upper? I'm not at home right now so I can't investigate further.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Dremel the delta ring off, if you're not using the stock nut your not using the delta assembly.  Then remove with a pipe wrench.

It's highly recommended to squeeze the upper between two 2x4s using a hydraulic jack and your jeep frame however, rather than a vise and the appropriate upper receiver block.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
In a pinch with no tools we had used a pipe wrench once, even a hammer and chisel hitting on the teeth to rotate it.  But that was a had to get it off right now scenario with no way to get tools.

Lways ise the right tools.  They are cheap enough not to buy them when you might use them often.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dremel the delta ring off, if you're not using the stock nut your not using the delta assembly.  Then remove with a pipe wrench.

It's highly recommended to squeeze the upper between two 2x4s using a hydraulic jack and your jeep frame however, rather than a vise and the appropriate upper receiver block.
View Quote

I saw that thread!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have a flat piece of steel and a few correctly sized screws I think you could make your own barrel nut wrench pretty easily.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw that thread!
View Quote

link? That sounds hilarious!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top