Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 11:45:47 PM EDT
I have ordered the CMT PDW lower.  This is the parts list I am working on for a 10.5" PDW SBR.  Let me know what you guys think,  its the first time I have built a SBR so I would appreciate suggestions.

*NOTE: I know a suppressed 300blk upper with a shorter barrel would really be the business for this rig.  For now I am going to start off with a 5.56 because its much cheaper to shoot.  Down the road I will build an upper in 300 and get a can.... thinking AAC SD-N6

Lower Receiver- CMT UMP15PDW- Monolithic lower and PDW stock, includes buffer assembly.

Trigger- Larue or Geissele- SD 3 gun, or SD-E

Safety-  V7 Hybrid 3 gun Ambi

Grip- Magpul K2

-the remaining parts I am going to get Mil-Spec, the lower has ambi mag and bolt release controls built in.

Upper Receiver- CMT UPUR-4, billet, slick side w/dust cover door. No FA/Shell deflector.

Barrel- 10.5” 223 Wylde., I want something SS match grade and light.  Considering: North Tech Defense, Battle Arms Development, Raineer Match or Noveske

Gas Block- Seekins Precision Adjustable

Handguard- Strike Industries MEGAFINS XL MLOK - 10"- its lightweight, should be able to access the GB and has a built in flip up front sight

Muzzle Device- Strike Industries King Comp (compatible with Ferfrans CRD, which I already own)

BCG- I am not really sure yet.  I want something light but want to keep the cost reasonable…. When I am ready to buy I will likely find the best deal

Charging Handle- Umbrella Corp Raptor- both handles are the same size- an improvement on the regular raptor.  If Its still sold out I will probably go for a BCM mod4 ambi

Optics- going for a primary arms T1 clone to start off.  Maybe upgrade later.  Magpul MBUS pro rear flip up.  Front flip up is built into handguard.

This is the CMT PDW Lower/stock: Details Here

Detailed Parts List:

let me know what ya think.  Its my first SBR so I could use pointers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck getting an Umbrella Raptor CH.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck getting an Umbrella Raptor CH.
View Quote

I have seen it out of stock for at least 6 months, maybe a year... will it ever come back?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you have a pretty nice build list there.

I have to admit that it is news to me that the other Raptor charging handles do not have equal length levers.  I can not say that I have ever noticed that on my Noveske branded Raptor and I certainly wouldn't let that steer you away from the Raptor if you can not get your hands on the UC version.

My thoughts on the rest of your list are as follows:

Geissele makes a hell of a trigger.  I have an SD-C and love it.  My last trigger purchase was a Wilson Combat TR-TTU and that thing made everyone who shot it nervous.  Even though it is rated at a 4lb pull, I can tell you that a 4lb single vs a 4.5lb 2stage are worlds apart in feel.  I sold the Wilson and will now stick with 2 stage Geissele's going forward.  So before you decide on the SD3G I would test one out for yourself.  You might be surprised how light it is.

I see only 1 V7 part on your list.  I understand that they are spendy but I always say "buy once, cry once".  Not that mil-spec parts aren't more than adequate but the V7 stuff is just so nice that it seems a crime not to use as mush of it as you can afford, especially considering this looks to be a high end build.

The K2 isn't a bad choice for an upright grip but I would also consider the BCM and HK battle grip too.  I chose the HK V2 MR556 grip and it is my favorite upright style grip.  The K2 & BCM both have storage compartments though if you need that.  I didn't.

I have no experience with the Seekins AGB but the Syrac has been great for me and I also hear good things about the one SLR makes so just two more considerations there.

I have never seen that SI Megafin rail before but I have to admit that it looks pretty cool.  It does seem a little on the heavy side but It does look handsome.  If you decide to use it let me know your impressions.  The one thing I would mention about it though is that the MBUS will look really bulky compared to that tiny front sight.  Maybe look at the Spikes Micro Sight or the one by KAC to better match the profile of the front (though nothing really will).

Most of my AR barrel experience is with Noveske and you can't go wrong with them but I have also shot a few WIlson Combat's and have really been impressed with them for the price and appearance.

I do not have experience with the King Comp but IMO that thing is ugly.  If you need a comp then Battlecomp is the way to go.  Otherwise a nice 3 prong flash hider always looks tits and does the job.

I just don't know about that CMT receiver stock thing.  I like the concept but I am not so sure about the execution.  The cheek piece should be attached to the back of the lower like a UBR so that you can shoot NTCH.  It is also just 2" shorter collapsed than a carbine buffer tube and since you are going with a 10" hand guard and a longer style muzzle device I don't know that the 2" will really matter that much.  I do think it has a neat look to it but I don't think I want to be a $650 guinea pig to see how practical/comfortable it is to shoot.

The last thing I have to add is that you can not go wrong with a JP LMOS carrier.  Mine has been fantastic paired with my AGB.  If I were buying today I probably would have gone with the JP aluminum one or the Boomfab tit carrier but neither were out yet when I made my last BCG purchase.  I do not regret the purchase though and because mine in steel it can probably take more of a beating than the other 2 I mentioned.

Be sure to post some pics when you get this thing together.  It sounds like a great build.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much AudiablePrime for taking the time to write such a well thought out reply.   I really appreciate the time and thought you have put into it.

Quoted:

I have to admit that it is news to me that the other Raptor charging handles do not have equal length levers.  I can not say that I have ever noticed that on my Noveske branded Raptor and I certainly wouldn't let that steer you away from the Raptor if you can not get your hands on the UC version.

I also have a raptor, and while I think its a great charging handle, it does bother me that the left handle is shorter than the right... I charge my gun with my left hand often and I do notice it.  The UC seems like the perfect fix to what should have never been a problem to begin with (for me at least) I have no idea why they made the left handle smaller.

Geissele makes a hell of a trigger.  I have an SD-C and love it.  My last trigger purchase was a Wilson Combat TR-TTU and that thing made everyone who shot it nervous.  Even though it is rated at a 4lb pull, I can tell you that a 4lb single vs a 4.5lb 2stage are worlds apart in feel.  I sold the Wilson and will now stick with 2 stage Geissele's going forward.  So before you decide on the SD3G I would test one out for yourself.  You might be surprised how light it is.

I currently have a SSA-E and a LaRue MTB on my lowers.  I have not tried a light single stage before so this is a good suggestion.  I recently learned that V-Tac actually made a version of the SD3G with a heavy spring... they must have gotten scared also! (kidding)

I see only 1 V7 part on your list.  I understand that they are spendy but I always say "buy once, cry once".  Not that mil-spec parts aren't more than adequate but the V7 stuff is just so nice that it seems a crime not to use as mush of it as you can afford, especially considering this looks to be a high end build.

The more I think about it, yes I will use more V7 and or BAD parts in the lower. I have never been much of a fancy lower kinda guy, alway buying something simple and forged.  This build is of course a total 180 from that mentality so I am learning to embrace the fact that I am gonna end up with a $l,000 lower.  In truth its a bit of a vanity project so what the hell.

The K2 isn't a bad choice for an upright grip but I would also consider the BCM and HK battle grip too.  I chose the HK V2 MR556 grip and it is my favorite upright style grip.  The K2 & BCM both have storage compartments though if you need that.  I didn't.

I need to get to a shop and try out some grips.  My other builds are more long range oriented so I have used different type of grips.  I am also interesed in the ones you mentioned and B5 as well as Umbrella Corps.

I have no experience with the Seekins AGB but the Syrac has been great for me and I also hear good things about the one SLR makes so just two more considerations there.

Another one I thought about aside from the 2 mentioned is Oden.  From what I have read they all work just fine.  This decision is based on price.  The MSRP of the seekins is a bit lower, Oden is next than Syrac and SLR.  If I can find one on the EE I will surly snatch it up.

I have never seen that SI Megafin rail before but I have to admit that it looks pretty cool.  It does seem a little on the heavy side but It does look handsome.  If you decide to use it let me know your impressions.  The one thing I would mention about it though is that the MBUS will look really bulky compared to that tiny front sight.  Maybe look at the Spikes Micro Sight or the one by KAC to better match the profile of the front (though nothing really will).

Good call re the sights. I checked out the Spikes Micro and KAC, The KACs could be good, but the best fit I think it the Bobro Lowrider, I just need to find someone who wants a front sight as they are only sold in pairs....IM me if you want to split a pair of Bobro Lowriders LINK  Regarding the weight, with the barrel nut its about 14.5 oz... this is pretty light I think.  Maybe closer in weight to rails that are a little longer but the rail is sorta thick (fits suppressor underneath HG) so I think it can still be called a LW HG

Most of my AR barrel experience is with Noveske and you can't go wrong with them but I have also shot a few WIlson Combat's and have really been impressed with them for the price and appearance.

I do not have experience with the King Comp but IMO that thing is ugly.  If you need a comp then Battlecomp is the way to go.  Otherwise a nice 3 prong flash hider always looks tits and does the job.

I decided to go with the King Comp because its made by Strike and is threaded to accept the Ferfrans CRD, which I already own.  If your not familiar with the CRD its a "Concussion Reduction Device" looks like a little can that goes over your brake to push the pressure from the brake forward.  I like it alot because the Ferfrans brake is LOUD, and has serious concussion.  More than any other brake I have tried.  Its even louder than the Surfire SOCOM to give you reference. I coud use the Ferfrans brake that is currently on another rifle, the king comp, or Strike makes 2 other devices that work with the CRD and another one is on the way.  So I am not married to the king comp.

I just don't know about that CMT receiver stock thing.  I like the concept but I am not so sure about the execution.  The cheek piece should be attached to the back of the lower like a UBR so that you can shoot NTCH.  It is also just 2" shorter collapsed than a carbine buffer tube and since you are going with a 10" hand guard and a longer style muzzle device I don't know that the 2" will really matter that much.  I do think it has a neat look to it but I don't think I want to be a $650 guinea pig to see how practical/comfortable it is to shoot.

So the upper is already purchased.  I am married to it. I gave the points mentioned above a lot of consideration.  I could go on and on about my thought process but what sealed the deal was I got a guarantee.  If I dont like it, for any reason, money back no questions asked. That did it for me.

The last thing I have to add is that you can not go wrong with a JP LMOS carrier.  Mine has been fantastic paired with my AGB.  If I were buying today I probably would have gone with the JP aluminum one or the Boomfab tit carrier but neither were out yet when I made my last BCG purchase.  I do not regret the purchase though and because mine in steel it can probably take more of a beating than the other 2 I mentioned.

I just cant justify spending that kinda coin on a BCG.  Maybe the JP steel versions around 220, I could do but spending 400-500 on a BCG or just a carrier I cant bring myself to do.  I have three carriers right now, one is from SSA cost me 88 bucks for the entire BCG, other one is a fail zero, third is a Sprikes NIB.  Honestly they all run in different rifles so I have not done much of a scientific comparison but they all work equally fine.  the plated ones (fail zero and Spikes) are a little easier to clean but as far as my experience goes that is the only difference.  I just dont see the value add of a $400-$600 BCG.  Aside from saving some weight and increased reliability why go with such a high end BCG?  I shoot at paper, steel and prairie dogs.  If my gun jams, it sucks but its always been my fault for letting it get so dirty and the end result is me shouting a curse word and yanking the CH.  I dont compete and wont be in a gunfight any time soon so I cant reason spending cash like that on a BCG.  Any one with reasons that support the hight end BCGs let me know.

Be sure to post some pics when you get this thing together.  It sounds like a great build.
View Quote

Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you very much AudiablePrime for taking the time to write such a well thought out reply.   I really appreciate the time and thought you have put into it.

Thanks again
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I also have a raptor, and while I think its a great charging handle, it does bother me that the left handle is shorter than the right... I charge my gun with my left hand often and I do notice it.  The UC seems like the perfect fix to what should have never been a problem to begin with (for me at least) I have no idea why they made the left handle smaller.

I currently have a SSA-E and a LaRue MTB on my lowers.  I have not tried a light single stage before so this is a good suggestion.  I recently learned that V-Tac actually made a version of the SD3G with a heavy spring... they must have gotten scared also! (kidding)

The more I think about it, yes I will use more V7 and or BAD parts in the lower. I have never been much of a fancy lower kinda guy, alway buying something simple and forged.  This build is of course a total 180 from that mentality so I am learning to embrace the fact that I am gonna end up with a $l,000 lower.  In truth its a bit of a vanity project so what the hell.

I need to get to a shop and try out some grips.  My other builds are more long range oriented so I have used different type of grips.  I am also interesed in the ones you mentioned and B5 as well as Umbrella Corps.

Another one I thought about aside from the 2 mentioned is Oden.  From what I have read they all work just fine.  This decision is based on price.  The MSRP of the seekins is a bit lower, Oden is next than Syrac and SLR.  If I can find one on the EE I will surly snatch it up.

Good call re the sights. I checked out the Spikes Micro and KAC, The KACs could be good, but the best fit I think it the Bobro Lowrider, I just need to find someone who wants a front sight as they are only sold in pairs....IM me if you want to split a pair of Bobro Lowriders LINK  Regarding the weight, with the barrel nut its about 14.5 oz... this is pretty light I think.  Maybe closer in weight to rails that are a little longer but the rail is sorta thick (fits suppressor underneath HG) so I think it can still be called a LW HG

I decided to go with the King Comp because its made by Strike and is threaded to accept the Ferfrans CRD, which I already own.  If your not familiar with the CRD its a "Concussion Reduction Device" looks like a little can that goes over your brake to push the pressure from the brake forward.  I like it alot because the Ferfrans brake is LOUD, and has serious concussion.  More than any other brake I have tried.  Its even louder than the Surfire SOCOM to give you reference. I coud use the Ferfrans brake that is currently on another rifle, the king comp, or Strike makes 2 other devices that work with the CRD and another one is on the way.  So I am not married to the king comp.

So the upper is already purchased.  I am married to it. I gave the points mentioned above a lot of consideration.  I could go on and on about my thought process but what sealed the deal was I got a guarantee.  If I dont like it, for any reason, money back no questions asked. That did it for me.

I just cant justify spending that kinda coin on a BCG.  Maybe the JP steel versions around 220, I could do but spending 400-500 on a BCG or just a carrier I cant bring myself to do.  I have three carriers right now, one is from SSA cost me 88 bucks for the entire BCG, other one is a fail zero, third is a Sprikes NIB.  Honestly they all run in different rifles so I have not done much of a scientific comparison but they all work equally fine.  the plated ones (fail zero and Spikes) are a little easier to clean but as far as my experience goes that is the only difference.  I just dont see the value add of a $400-$600 BCG.  Aside from saving some weight and increased reliability why go with such a high end BCG?  I shoot at paper, steel and prairie dogs.  If my gun jams, it sucks but its always been my fault for letting it get so dirty and the end result is me shouting a curse word and yanking the CH.  I dont compete and wont be in a gunfight any time soon so I cant reason spending cash like that on a BCG.  Any one with reasons that support the hight end BCGs let me know.

Thanks again

I have 3 rainier arms raptor charging handles and believe both blades are the same size. Which brand do you have that has diffrent size blades on each side?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks again
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I never noticed that they are not the same length.  If they are different then it must be a very minor difference in length.

I forgot to mention the Grip 23.  I have not tried that one yet but a stippled one would be nice and I will probably try one in the near future.

Good luck finding someone to separate a set of Bobro's.  Finding them in stock has been a chore since they were released.

Report back with pictures on your impression of the SI rail quality, it interests me.

You can't beat a guarantee like that.

Thanks again

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the BCM Grips.  Similar angle, but with a storage compartment for a copy of my form 1.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I looked closer at my raptor charging handles and they are diffrent sizes on each side. I never notice even though I charge on both sides. It is still built like a tank and has great pull from both sides.

Rainier arms has a new one coming out called the Avalanche
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
"Barrel- 10.5” 223 Wylde., I want something SS match grade and light. Considering: North Tech Defense, Battle Arms Development, Raineer Match or Noveske"

Your desires have some contradictions IMO.
.223 Wylde is not a match chamber. Wanting a Match grade barrel(chamber) with tight tolerances runs counter to the norm for defensive/combat weapons that need relatively loose tolerances for reliability.
.223 Wylde is a good compromise but you may not get accuracy comparable to a barrel with a Match chamber.  YMMV

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#10]
So I have ordered some parts:

- CMT PDW lower- on layaway with rainier
- Geissele MK4 M-Lok 9.5"
- Raineer Match 10.5" Barrel
- V7 Hybrid 3 gun ambi 57 degree safety

Still have quite a few things left to buy but I have many of the core components picked out and paid for.

Below are some mock up photos I made with Gunstuction.  In a few I chose a Burris ACOG type 3x with a FF3 piggy backed.  Generally I dont like the piggy back set up and if I choose to use a magnified optic I would likely put the fastfire at 45 degrees offset mount,  The other photos are with a T1 and MBUS pro BUIS.  FYI I spoke to Bobro, they are going to be selling their LowRider BUIS individually on the website soon.  Lately, I like the AFG so will likely put one on this build.  It wont be the rail mounted on like in the photos, it will be the M-Lok version which is smaller, slimmer, and would go behind the lower 1913 on the handguard.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Barrel- 10.5” 223 Wylde., I want something SS match grade and light. Considering: North Tech Defense, Battle Arms Development, Raineer Match or Noveske"

Your desires have some contradictions IMO.
.223 Wylde is not a match chamber. Wanting a Match grade barrel(chamber) with tight tolerances runs counter to the norm for defensive/combat weapons that need relatively loose tolerances for reliability.
.223 Wylde is a good compromise but you may not get accuracy comparable to a barrel with a Match chamber.  YMMV

View Quote

The term "match" seems to be throw around loosely by manufacturers and sellers.  Is there a standard for match chambering?  I have seen many barrels that tout a 223 wylde camber and describe the barrel as match grade.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#12]
So the upper is complete and I order a designated Pistol lower with the CAA Cheek rest to hold me over until I get my stamp the the PDW lower.
Upper:
Receiver: CMT UPUR 4 (slick side w/ Dust Cover
Barrel: Raineer Match 10.5"
Gas Block: SLR Sentry 7
Muzzle Device: VG6 Gamma 556
Handguard: Geissele MK 4 M-lok 9.5"
Optic: Burris FF3 in UTG riser (temp maybe)

Once I get the stamp, this should be the complete build:
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top