Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2015 7:16:52 PM EDT
I hope I put this in the right thread.

I am looking to put together a little parts kit that will be housed on the bench. This is not a field kit. I like extra parts. I also help friends build their AR's since I also have a lot of tools.

I was looking through forums, vendor sites, etc...

I ran across a vendor on Amazon that sold many spare parts called "Xtreme Precision" but I can not find anything on them. I think I found their web site but it is work in progress. I have already been slightly burned on these gun shows vendors who have companies that make their LPK kits. The ones they say they can't tell you who makes the kit because of a non disclosure. But they brand them.

Just looking for some advice on the company. Thanks

Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_sporting-goods?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Xtreme+Precision+LLC&node=3375251

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I used their upper parts and a turned parts kit.  I was satisfied for the price.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If your looking to just have a few extra dtents, springs, and stuff like that look at windham they are offering free ground shipping all month.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
WOA has a great kit that's around a 100 bucks that has everything including gas tubes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've also used their upper receiver kit for a stripped upper and am very satisfied.  Also great customer service.  I thought my kit was missing a c-clip and emailed them through Amazon.  They responded within about 15 minutes and suggested I look to make sure it didn't stick on the port door with the oil. I told them I had checked, so they said no problem they would send some out to me.  Well, I checked again and sure enough the clip was stuck on the port door.  I emailed them back and told them I found the clip and they didn't have to send me another one.  They said no worries it had already gone out in the mail.  A couple days later I received an envelope with extra c-clips.  

So great customer service, but the parts also seem like good quality to me.  Everything fits and functions on my upper receiver just fine. And they state the parts are made in the US. So I recommend them, but I've also ordered small parts from Wyndham with the free ground shipping this month.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Damage industries has good prices on all the small parts and have kits also.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Best not to keep extra parts around.  They tend to turn into new builds.  Last time I had a spare detent and takedown pin, I ended up with a 300BLK SBR....
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info on WOA. I think I am going to lean to that kit. I can trust them and it's a lot of parts. As for too many parts leading to another build.

I need a new gun safe first. Lol. I am out of room. Well another one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your looking to just have a few extra dtents, springs, and stuff like that look at windham they are offering free ground shipping all month.
View Quote

^^^^^
THIS

Windham Weaponry has FREE shipping on ALL orders till the end of the month
Time to stock up on small parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a few ways to go about it.  You can order LPK minus fire control group.  Or if you want everything just order complete lower part kits.  I went down the list at damage inc. and ordered 5 or 6 of most things, more of the things that are commonly launched.  As far as upper parts go, I ordered 3 or 4 forward assist assemblies and went with Strike industries dust covers since they are all self contained and stupid easy to put on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me ask this since we are in the building forum. I had a need to polish a trigger and looked up on the web and it suggested an Emory pad. I looked up Home Depot and the finest the had was 2000 grit. I saw Autozone (local autoparts store) had one. But it was actually a set of different sanding pads with the finest at 1600.

I ended up using my wife's fingernail Emory board. Sounds weird, but worked.

Where can I get 2000+ sand paper. Something around 3k grit?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let me ask this since we are in the building forum. I had a need to polish a trigger and looked up on the web and it suggested an Emory pad. I looked up Home Depot and the finest the had was 2000 grit. I saw Autozone (local autoparts store) had one. But it was actually a set of different sanding pads with the finest at 1600.

I ended up using my wife's fingernail Emory board. Sounds weird, but worked.

Where can I get 2000+ sand paper. Something around 3k grit?

Thanks for the help!
View Quote
L:  A little bit of Google searching found Xtreme Precision's web site, no problem.  They appear to be a legit outfit, perhaps a machine shop owned by a gun enthusiast who wants to get in on the AR craze.  I suggest you build your own kit of extra parts by selecting them individually but combining them to same on shipping cost.  Rock River Arms seems to have the best selection and prices.

As for polishing the engagement surfaces of a GI trigger, an excellent idea.  I suggest you start with a magnifying glass, Staples or Office Depot carries $15 jobs that include a built in 10X loupe, the kind you hold close to your eye to see fine detail on these tiny little surfaces.  You will be amazed at all the little tool marks you can see.  The objective is polish off those rough ridges.  Do not try to remove them altogether, or change any angles or round off any sharp edges.  Too much metal removal destroys the surface hardening and ruins the parts.  Just polishing off the worst of tool marks makes a huge difference.  Be sure to address all of the engagement surfaces, study how the mechanism works to understand where they are.  The hammer, trigger and disconnector each have two surfaces to polish.  You'll notice the edge between the two surfaces on the trigger is slightly rounded, by design, and should also be polished.  The GI trigger rolls off, with no crisp break.  If you don't like that, you should be shopping for an aftermarket trigger.  

I suggest you start with wet/dry sandpaper, the dark gray stuff, at 350 grit and work up through 400, 600, 800 and 1000 grit.  Cut out a small section of each size and wrap it around a small knife blade to give you a flat block you can use to keep the sanding action fairly square to the surface being sanded.  Careless rounding movements will defeat the objective and ruin the parts.  Loew's and Home Depot carry the papers you need, but in packages of 8 or 10 sheets for about $6 per size, more than you really need for this job.  I recently finished polishing a GI trigger from DPMS for my next build.  I used 350, 400, 800 and 2000 because that's what I had on hand.  Anything higher than 1000 grit is actually unnecessary, since you are not removing much metal.  I also used JP Rifles "yellow" springs (cost $11) in place of the heavier-than-needed GI springs.  Don't forget to lube the polished surfaces, the moly grease you use for barrel nuts is perfect.  The end result in my case is a very smooth GI-type rolling let off with a total weight of about 3.75 lbs according to my scale. The reset is not bad either.  good luck - CW

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=287

http://www.xtreme-precision.org/index.php
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top