BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2014 4:40:24 PM EDT
ETA: PSA replaced the pin

Lower is a PSA blem. using a PSA LPK w/MOE

The diameter of the takedown pin in the LPK is 0.252"

The diameter of the holes in the lower (as best as I can measure them with calipers) is 0.251"

FYI the diameter of the pivot pin (already installed) is 0.2480"

Luckily PSA is not a horrendous drive and I go there several times a month.

So what's up with this?

Does PSA use proprietary-sized takedown and pivot pins on their lowers? I would find it hard to believe the takedown pin holes on the lower were machined to the wrong diameter.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are confident these are correct dimensions, take some 400 grit sand paper to the pin and test fit often.
Proprietary sizes? Not that I am aware of, it  might just be tolerance stacking or an extra thick finish coat  on
one or both parts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]

its just a lil tight.  NO big deal.

You have 3 choices.

1. open up the holes with a file.

2. sand some of the coating off the pin.

3. oil the pin and tap it into the hole and over time it will loosen itself up. (this is what I would do)

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The pin will not fit at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Work on the cheapest part -IOW sand down the pin
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
You're not using the right hammer

edit: ithought this was GD
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Contact PSA and see if they'll send you a proper size replacement takedown pin.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely! No way am I going to grind on the lower as a first or second remedy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Definitely! No way am I going to grind on the lower as a first or second remedy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one that was similar....lubed it up after a little sanding and it went right in.

No worries, it will get looser over time.  FWIW, I have switched to the BCM takedown pins, they are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude, get a different pin. .002 to .003 might not sound like much but it kind of is. Do not file anything or rig the pin. The pin should be .250
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dude, get a different pin. .002 to .003 might not sound like much but it kind of is. Do not file anything or rig the pin. The pin should be .250
View Quote

Buddy of mine offered this sage advice: "The next time you go to PSA exchange the pin for one that fits. Sanding the pin to fit is the slow path to madness."
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Buddy of mine offered this sage advice: "The next time you go to PSA exchange the pin for one that fits. Sanding the pin to fit is the slow path to madness."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't be that slow if you chucked it up in a high speed drill and held some sandpaper to the outside of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
You paid for a pin that works, not a project.  DO exchange that pin with PSA.  It'll also help PSA reduce the frequency of out of spec parts when customers tell 'em about such things.  They can' fix what they never hear about.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is funny.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#15]
OP,
Give them a call and they will prolly just send you a new pin.
Put the old one in a drill chuck and sand it down just to have fun doing it.  
Best to you
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Pins should be .248, holes in lower should be .251, and .250 gage pin should go through both pivot and takedown holes all the way thru.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:07:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You paid for a pin that works, not a project.  DO exchange that pin with PSA.  It'll also help PSA reduce the frequency of out of spec parts when customers tell 'em about such things.  They can' fix what they never hear about.
View Quote

This is the correct route.

You must call them. They never answered one of my emails. Prepare to be on hold for at least 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I had an upper that the pin would not go into.  I tried the same pin in another upper and it was tight but went in with a little lube.

I took a piece of cloth 240 grit, rolled it up so it would fit the hole in the upper and with just a little work got the pin to fit nicely.

In my opinion work on what you have to make it fit like you want, very snug, IMO.  

Better than being to loose.

ETA;  In my case it was the hole in the upper that was tight.  You may have an out of spec pin??
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You must call them. They never answered one of my emails. Prepare to be on hold for at least 20 minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I even had a set of YHM pins that had one out of spec. So it can happen to anyone.

For non-locals, however, to wait 20min. on hold & THEN another 10min. getting taken care of THEN another few days to receive a new one, chucking it up & taking it down to .248" takes less than 5min.

Life Is too short for all that other headache.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Drove over to PSA Farrow Rd (that's their warehouse) and they cheerfully replaced the pin with one that fits. Problem solved.

While I was there they also did an inspection of my newly-built lower and they told me I'd installed the hammer spring incorrectly which would explain why the trigger pin would not stay in place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Drove over to PSA Farrow Rd (that's their warehouse) and they cheerfully replaced the pin with one that fits. Problem solved.

While I was there they also did an inspection of my newly-built lower and they told me I'd installed the hammer spring incorrectly which would explain why the trigger pin would not stay in place.
View Quote

You have discovered the reason for all the "why are my pins walking out" threads for the last 15 years and why KNS pins sell(except for the M16 guys).
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I even had a set of YHM pins that had one out of spec. So it can happen to anyone.

For non-locals, however, to wait 20min. on hold & THEN another 10min. getting taken care of THEN another few days to receive a new one, chucking it up & taking it down to .248" takes less than 5min.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like one of those prized oversized .251" - .252" Armalite NM Takedown Pins fell into your hands. Prized because they cannot keep them in stock. If I were you I'd drive back over there and get that jewel back and put it on eBay for $20.00 while the pins are out of stock at Armalite. Furthermore clearance should be .001" between the pin and bores which makes the bores in well made lowers .249 inch. Proper fit requires precision tooling and it requires precision tools to adjust pin fit properly. Files and sandpaper can make matters worse.  Keep using your caliper, asking questions and having people check your work and your build should be fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top