Daniel Defense 16" gov profile barrel or 18" s2w
lantac dragon muzzle brake
undecided on gas block.
magpul buis pro
spikes NiB bcg
rainier arms raptor charging handle

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Solid parts.  I would consider, with all the extra $$ you are spending on good name brand parts, getting Metal BUIS.  The polymer Magpul rear is ok, I have this on a couple guns, but I use A2 FSB.  I am personally concerned about putting polymer sights on top of a barrel that throws heat.  But its your money, spend it the way you want to.  Right or wrong this is just a personal concern of mine.

EDIT: how did I miss the pro??  sorry reading is fundamental

Also absolutely nothing wrong with the DD barrels.  I would encourage you to look at the FN barrels too.  I don't think you will go wrong either way though.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
i've considered FN barrels,but i haven't found much in the way of reviews and only one website seems to carry them online..
not so sure about them
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
FN barrels are good to go. I like the Rainier barrels too.

Everything on that list looks good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I like your BCM and DD parts.  Sounds just like my build.  The DD LPK's I have used have been higher quality than other brands I have used.  I have assembled a PSA lower and it seemed to be made well.  You get an "A" IMHO on your part selection!  My BCM upper has been solid.  Both dependable and accurate.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you're on the right track, be sure to post pics when you get it put together!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a solid build. Nothing wrong with your choices. The only thing I might do differently would be to
save a bundle and go with a standard A2 flash hider instead of the break. if you are planning on 3-gun or something then the
break may be justified. Hell, if you want it, that's good enough.
My .02 centavos
chris
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several FN CHF barrels.  They are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Palmetto State Armory stripped lower receiver - I wouldn't build a premium ar and use the cheapest brand name there is, I'd pay less for a Anderson lower, about the same for a AP or Range tool (logo less) or slightly more $70s for a Spike before I did that, or the budget billets that are a little over a $100
BCM upper receiver - I'd probably use a Aero, Alpha, or Range tool, whatever is on sale since they are all practically the same
bcm buffer tube assembly kit - I'd probably either buy a cheaper one or whatever is part of one of the discounted magpul packages, or upgrade to the Vltor A5 system
magpul ACS stock - personal preference on stocks
Daniel Defense LPK - I'd get a cheap LPK without fire control group and buy a ALG ACT or another trigger
Troy Alpha 15” rail - I have 3 of these and they ]are pretty nice, but I pay slightly more for a Fortis Rev 14 (its 14.875")
magpul asap qd plate - personal preference

things i'm considering buying:

Daniel Defense 16" gov profile barrel or 18" s2w - I'd get a 16" middy lightweight by DD, or another brand, not a 18"
lantac dragon muzzle brake - not a good value, the 3port $20 ebay brakes work about the same, I would get either, maybe a griffin comp, pws, or battle comp type
undecided on gas block. - most of the lp non adjustable are about the same, I'd lean to getting one the manufacturer has already pinned to the barrel
magpul buis pro - good choice
spikes NiB bcg - You would be ok with the standard but the spikes, wmd, and fail zero nib ones are nice and easy to clean, there have been some good deals lately
rainier arms raptor charging handle - yes if you need ambi, if you do need ambi on the lower I would get a San Tan ambi lower.  I like BCM Mod4 Gunfighter charging handles

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have several FN CHF barrels.  They are awesome.
View Quote

Yup, me too
chris
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for everyones opinions so far.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I would not buy any AR parts off of ebay at any time from anybody.  I am sure there some worthy vendors that sell there, go to their website or support the sponsors of this site.  Ebay and gun parts freaks me out on multiple fronts.  Your money your choice though.

EDIT  +1000 internets for the Knob Creek, a true gentlemans elixir!

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
things i've bought:

Palmetto State Armory stripped lower receiver
BCM upper receiver
bcm buffer tube assembly kit
magpul ACS stock
Daniel Defense LPK
Troy Alpha 15” rail
magpul asap qd plate

Daniel Defense 16" gov profile barrel or 18" s2w
lantac dragon muzzle brake
undecided on gas block.
magpul buis pro
spikes NiB bcg
rainier arms raptor charging handle

http://i.imgur.com/HJE4Pyh.jpg
View Quote

I am currently using the Lantac Dragon Muzzle Brake, RA Raptor charging handle and the Spikes Tactical NIB BCG and they are quality parts. GAS BLOCK: VLTOR,Rainier Arms,Lantac or BCM. GAS TUBE: Spikes tactical Melonited gas tube, get the 16 inch barrel unless the extra weight is wroth it for your needs.  I would not recommend Magpul sights poly or aluminum ones.  Get Troy, YHM (I use these) or Knights Arm co.(KAC are expensive).
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I like your list of parts, I would recommend at least an ALG Defense fire control group.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Well since everyone is jumping in here I might as well also.

Quoted:
things i've bought:

Palmetto State Armory stripped lower receiver    Personally I think that PSA lowers are the cheapest crap one can buy.
BCM upper receiver   Nothing wrong with that.
bcm buffer tube assembly kit  Nothing wrong here either. The tightest fit I've ever had with a Mil Spec stock. Has been with a VLTOR Buffer tube.
magpul ACS stock  Personal choice
Daniel Defense LPK  I'd buy a LPK without the trigger group. Buy a quality trigger.
Troy Alpha 15” rail  Again personal choice.
magpul asap qd plate I like the Noveske also.

Daniel Defense 16" gov profile barrel or 18" s2w  Nothing wrong here. But there are better barrels out there, just more money.
lantac dragon muzzle brake   Loud, not needed on a 5.56. Get a good flash hider instead.
undecided on gas block.  I use Lo Profile adjustable gas blocks. I don't mind dimpling the barrel to install them. Never had one come loose.
magpul buis pro                Personal choice, but I can't stand the looks of them.
spikes NiB bcg                 I own one of these too. Nice BCG. But I also have JP, Colt, Young's NM. JP being my favorite.
rainier arms raptor charging handle   I have several of these too. really like them.

It really just boils down to what YOU want!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well since everyone is jumping in here I might as well also.

Quoted:
things i've bought:

Palmetto State Armory stripped lower receiver    Personally I think that PSA lowers are the cheapest crap one can buy.
bcm buffer tube assembly kit  Nothing wrong here either. The tightest fit I've ever had with a Mil Spec stock. Has been with a VLTOR Buffer tube.
Daniel Defense LPK  I'd buy a LPK without the trigger group. Buy a quality trigger.

Daniel Defense 16" gov profile barrel or 18" s2w  Nothing wrong here. But there are better barrels out there, just more money.
lantac dragon muzzle brake   Loud, not needed on a 5.56. Get a good flash hider instead.
undecided on gas block.  I use Lo Profile adjustable gas blocks. I don't mind dimpling the barrel to install them. Never had one come loose.
magpul buis pro                Personal choice, but I can't stand the looks of them.
spikes NiB bcg                 I own one of these too. Nice BCG. But I also have JP, Colt, Young's NM. JP being my favorite.
rainier arms raptor charging handle   I have several of these too. really like them.

It really just boils down to what YOU want!
View Quote

You realize PSA doesn't make their lowers?  Some of them have been made by AP and some by FN.......
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#16]
[

A forged lower is a forged lower is a forged lower.......
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#17]

You realize PSA doesn't make their lowers?  Some of them have been made by AP and some by FN.......
View Quote

i read similar things in my research before i bought it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FN barrels are good to go. I like the Rainier barrels too.

Everything on that list looks good.
View Quote

Love my 10.5 Rainier
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[

A forged lower is a forged lower is a forged lower.......
View Quote

I agree with this, I used to care but it does not matter to me now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]

my troy rail came today! it almost looks like a gun now
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait for a www.primaryarms.com sale they usually have spikes NIB for like $180. Also spikes barrels are FN barrels. I have the $200 milspec 4150 1:7 16" spikes, great barrel
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sounds like you're on the right track, be sure to post pics when you get it put together!  
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks great. I love the Troy rails.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks great. I love the Troy rails.
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY
You PSA Fan Boys Got your PUSSY HURT.
Tough luck I think PSA is the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL..
Don't agree. So What.
Continue to buy SHIT. [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies
SHIT is SHIT, and will never be anything but SHIT!

I removed all of the stupid smiles. This isn't GD, sorry!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Well that went into the crapper pretty quickly, didn't it.

OP, your lower was made by a quality company and has PSA's logo on it.  Fine.  Some people are too interested in their perceptions of PSA to be concerned about the fact that their parts are good parts.

What is it about the Dragon muzzle device that you're liking?  The look or what it does?  I don't know anything about it.

I have never thought that NiB parts were really "all that."  Never had problems with phosphated steel parts, so I've never really bothered with any of the fancy coatings.  On the other hand, my M4 upper sports a DD, CHF 14.5" government profile barrel because Daniel Defense barrels ARE "all that."  

The ACS stock is pretty nice, but it's sorta "busy."  Lots of features, lots of storage, but the only thing I think it has over the CTR is that those storage cells on the side are more comfortable for a cheek weld than just the sides of the CTR.

You may have overpaid a bit for the LPK, but you can't beat DD for putting together a quality parts set.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your build progresses.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Don't agree. So What.

Continue to buy SHIT.

View Quote
Do you even grown up, Bro?

PSA FN made stuff is bullet proof.  Not always a fan of the business model, but you take the good with the bad.  Nothing wrong with the receivers that I have ever seen.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OP, your lower was made by a quality company and has PSA's logo on it.  Fine.  Some people are too interested in their perceptions of PSA to be concerned about the fact that their parts are good parts.

What is it about the Dragon muzzle device that you're liking?  The look or what it does?  I don't know anything about it.

I have never thought that NiB parts were really "all that."  Never had problems with phosphated steel parts, so I've never really bothered with any of the fancy coatings.  On the other hand, my M4 upper sports a DD, CHF 14.5" government profile barrel because Daniel Defense barrels ARE "all that."  

The ACS stock is pretty nice, but it's sorta "busy."  Lots of features, lots of storage, but the only thing I think it has over the CTR is that those storage cells on the side are more comfortable for a cheek weld than just the sides of the CTR.

You may have overpaid a bit for the LPK, but you can't beat DD for putting together a quality parts set.

View Quote

thanks bro.  from what I've read the lantac dragon is supposed to reduce muzzle rise and keep you on target for faster follow up shots.. idk that appeals to me.  ima do more research on it before buying. I'll be getting the barrel next pay check.
I got an awesome deal on the lpk. everywhere I looked it was around $100 plus shipping. i found it for $80 at aimsurplus with free shipping and jumped on it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

post was "too long"

as for NiB coated bcgs I have no experience with them. I've read they can be run dry and allow for easier cleanup... I guess the only way to know is by trying it out. I do own a colt le6920 so I'd have something to compare too.
I'm loving the feel of the acs stock, it's super comfy comparing it to the moe stock on my colt and the folding stock on my ak.
I'll keep posting pics as it progresses
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Only thing I dont like is the 15" rail. Unless you will be using all that space you could save a fair amount of weight by going with a 10 or 12" but YMMV. Also have you looked at the PWS FCS556? I had one on my SCAR17 and now on my AR. Its a great brake and also helps with flash. Good build though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Only thing I dont like is the 15" rail. Unless you will be using all that space you could save a fair amount of weight by going with a 10 or 12" but YMMV. Also have you looked at the PWS FCS556? I had one on my SCAR17 and now on my AR. Its a great brake and also helps with flash. Good build though.
View Quote

nice i haven't heard of that muzzle brake. it'll be one to consider.. thanks for the suggestion
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:48:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Your build looks good to me. If those fools want to sit there and complain about how you spent your money, then let them. Its your money being spent on your gun. You will never see them at the range, So who cares.  A forged lower is a forged lower is a forged lower. It really comes down to the roll mark that you want to look at.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

PSA FN made stuff is bullet proof.  Not always a fan of the business model, but you take the good with the bad.  Nothing wrong with the receivers that I have ever seen.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't agree. So What.
Continue to buy SHIT.

Yea, sorry about that I removed all of those smiles and stuff. This isn't GD.

But my opinion of them and their product still stands.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Look into Battlecomp muzzle devices.  They are expensive, but it is nice shooting a gun that will not rise at all after a shot.  Follow up shots are ridiculously quick.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Not one single malfunction.  PSA premium upper and premium bcg. I can deal with my bottom of the barrel piece of shit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Palmetto State Armory stripped lower receiver - I wouldn't build a premium ar and use the cheapest brand name there is, I'd pay less for a Anderson lower, about the same for a AP or Range tool (logo less) or slightly more $70s for a Spike before I did that, or the budget billets that are a little over a $100
BCM upper receiver - I'd probably use a Aero, Alpha, or Range tool, whatever is on sale since they are all practically the same
bcm buffer tube assembly kit - I'd probably either buy a cheaper one or whatever is part of one of the discounted magpul packages, or upgrade to the Vltor A5 system
magpul ACS stock - personal preference on stocks
Daniel Defense LPK - I'd get a cheap LPK without fire control group and buy a ALG ACT or another trigger
Troy Alpha 15” rail - I have 3 of these and they ]are pretty nice, but I pay slightly more for a Fortis Rev 14 (its 14.875")
magpul asap qd plate - personal preference

Daniel Defense 16" gov profile barrel or 18" s2w - I'd get a 16" middy lightweight by DD, or another brand, not a 18"
lantac dragon muzzle brake - not a good value, the 3port $20 ebay brakes work about the same, I would get either, maybe a griffin comp, pws, or battle comp type
undecided on gas block. - most of the lp non adjustable are about the same, I'd lean to getting one the manufacturer has already pinned to the barrel
magpul buis pro - good choice
spikes NiB bcg - You would be ok with the standard but the spikes, wmd, and fail zero nib ones are nice and easy to clean, there have been some good deals lately
rainier arms raptor charging handle - yes if you need ambi, if you do need ambi on the lower I would get a San Tan ambi lower.  I like BCM Mod4 Gunfighter charging handles

View Quote

This entire post is spot on.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#37]
No it's not. The rip against forged aluminum lowers with the PSA logo on them is biased ignorance. Just like PSA, a lot of companies selling lowers do not manufacture or machine them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No it's not. The rip against forged aluminum lowers with the PSA logo on them is biased ignorance. Just like PSA, a lot of companies selling lowers do not manufacture or machine them.
View Quote

I've built a lower using a PSA blem lower receiver and it's built well.  I have a few put aside as well and they are also just as good.  It's a forged lower AR receiver that is within spec, what else could you ask for?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
as for NiB coated bcgs I have no experience with them. I've read they can be run dry and allow for easier cleanup... I guess the only way to know is by trying it out. I do own a colt le6920 so I'd have something to compare too.
I'm loving the feel of the acs stock, it's super comfy comparing it to the moe stock on my colt and the folding stock on my ak.
View Quote

ARs should be run wet, even with a NiBx BCG. The cleanup is what's supposedly easier - the goldish shine will fade but I notice a huge difference in how slick the metal feels. If you really want something that cleans up easy, look for hard chromed BCGs. I love my NiBx BCG, but it still takes some elbow grease to get completely clean.

Also, the gun is looking good, but I have some real disdain for Troy after their PR blunders last year. I won't buy their stuff again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

ARs should be run wet, even with a NiBx BCG. The cleanup is what's supposedly easier - the goldish shine will fade but I notice a huge difference in how slick the metal feels. If you really want something that cleans up easy, look for hard chromed BCGs. I love my NiBx BCG, but it still takes some elbow grease to get completely clean.

Also, the gun is looking good, but I have some real disdain for Troy after their PR blunders last year. I won't buy their stuff again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

did you get the NiB bcg and hammer or just the bcg? what're your thoughts on that
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a NiBx BCG paired with a CMC drop in cassette trigger. I wouldnt hesitate to use a NiBx fire control group like Spike's, but I love my CMC trigger. You should have zero grit through the entire trigger pull with a NiBx fire control. group.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I like the look of this build, so taggity for reference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

what's "taggity for reference"?

yes i'm that new here
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I had an ASAP on my Mega build for almost two years and never used it once. I took it off when I got the QD adapter for my ACS. The Noveske QD plate is much more useful, if you want your sling attached to the end plate.

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1363

The Raptor is probably one of the best charging handles on the market. You can't go wrong with it. Battle Arms has a BAD-ASS/Raptor combo that'll save you a few bucks over ordering them separately.

http://shop.battlearmsdevelopment.com/BAD-ASS-RAPTOR-Charging-Handle-Combo-Special-C-BAD-ASS-RAPTOR.htm
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

yes i'm that new here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes i'm that new here

When you post in a thread it is automagically added to your subscriptions. Easier to track threads that way. Or you can press the subscribe button.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Any former service guys will tell you that wet is best.  Im one of those guys.  I keep my BCG well lubed in Mobil 1.

Myself, I dont need an NiB BCG s I bought a regular Aero.  Takes very little extra time to clean a BCG with a brass brush, so it wasnt worth the extra money for me.  YMMV though.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
When you post in a thread it is automagically added to your subscriptions. Easier to track threads that way. Or you can press the subscribe button.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes i'm that new here

If you have it set up that way in your settings.  I do not. Therefore I do not subscribe to every thread I post in.   You will have to get into your settings on your profile and set it up this way.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#48]
a forged lower is a forged lower.

exactly what part of the Spikes lower is better than the corresponding part on a PSA lower?

(and no, the "spider logo" is not an acceptable response)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#49]
i ordered my dd low profile clamp on gas block today and i'm gonna order the dd 16 inch government profile barrel tomorrow. pics of the install within the week (hopefully)

i'm getting close!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#50]
You did good OP. A lower is a lower.

I believe AP makes them, or L.W. Schneider.

PSA is quality stuff just as long as you avoid the PTAC crap. FN makes their premium barrels.

On the plus side, PSA lowers don't have dueling dicks on them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top