Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2014 5:25:16 PM EDT
I'm an poor, old farmer who can barely lift his own arms and has to scrounge for every loose penny...

As such, WEIGHT is my enemy and I want to build the "Ultimate" featherweight AR that does *not* require ATF stamps.

However, this poor farmer is not willing to save $$$ at all cost either, so it needs to be very robust with the highest-quality components. I need to have confidence that when I pick the rifle up, even if it's dirty and is loaded with crap ammo, it will shoot... Every. Single. Time.

Specifically, what component -- piece-by-piece -- would you recommend, giving both weight AND reliability / durability equal priority?

I'd like a full rail, probably at least 12-13 inches and a flat top. I prefer billet lowers and uppers. I don't know if low-mass carriers are effective, but I'm willing to entertain them. I'm thinking 14.5 with a top-notch hider / comp combo pinned. Geiselle or other trigger, etc. I'm thinking BattleLink MFT or Ace stock for weight and a T1 for an optic, but I use NV and Thermal heavily as well.

LIGHT! LIGHT! LIGHT! but it needs to WORK! WORK! WORK! in the toughest environments.

BUDGET: $2,000 (rifle-only, not including optic(s))
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You might start by looking thru  the thread above you....
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out all of the dealers on this sight, maybe some mag pull furniture.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an adams arms evo ultra light...runs great and runs flawless
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if I'm spelling it correctly but the balios upper and lower sets are billet 7075 and are supposed to be really light. The spikes ssr rail with titanium barrel nut is light. Several low mass carriers available and barrels etc.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/638524_Lightweight_Parts_List_with_WEIGHTS__AR_15_.html

2A Armament Balios lite upper receiver and lower.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Easy.  I'm working on one (non SBR)  that will around 4.5 lbs.

Get this:
2A Armament Balios Lite upper and lower.  14.5 LW (.625 journal preferable, but the new VooDoo Innovations LW with .75 journal is light as hell).  VooDoo Innovation Manimal flash hider.  Boomfab Titane BCG, or if that breaks the bank, JP Low mass BCG.  SLR Rifleworks Sentry adjustable gas block. Whatever LPK suits you. Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock. Standard CAR buffer (can remove weights if you want). If irons sights aren't your thing, get a Primary Arms mini red dot and the Fortis T1 Aimpoint mount.  BCM KMR handguard, 9 or 10" (or 13" if you really want it).

Congratulations, you have a 5lb gun.

If you have extra money, look at V7 Systems for ultralight small parts.

ETA: I see you need a NV compatible optic, so the Primary Arms won't work.  You will need an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#8]
This upper

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1035.htm

This lower

http://www.tnarmsco.com/sale-flat-dark-earth-complete-lower-magpul-moe-equipped/

I have not weighed mine yet but I'm guessing at 6 lbs. with an A-2 handle.

kwg
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy.  I'm working on one (non SBR)  that will around 4.5 lbs.

Get this:
2A Armament Balios Lite upper and lower.  14.5 LW (.625 journal preferable, but the new VooDoo Innovations LW with .75 journal is light as hell).  VooDoo Innovation Manimal flash hider.  Boomfab Titane BCG, or if that breaks the bank, JP Low mass BCG.  SLR Rifleworks Sentry adjustable gas block. Whatever LPK suits you. Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock. Standard CAR buffer (can remove weights if you want). If irons sights aren't your thing, get a Primary Arms mini red dot and the Fortis T1 Aimpoint mount.  BCM KMR handguard, 9 or 10" (or 13" if you really want it).

Congratulations, you have a 5lb gun.

If you have extra money, look at V7 Systems for ultralight small parts.

ETA: I see you need a NV compatible optic, so the Primary Arms won't work.  You will need an Aimpoint.
View Quote

Very nice! This is the first I've heard of V7, but it looks like they make nice stuff.

Good catch on the NV.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top