Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2014 9:22:18 PM EDT
I'm not new to the basic AR15 system, but I AM new to the more modern AR15 rifles and their myriad accessories.  I built two standard AR15s on Bushmaster XM15E2S lowers way back in the 1990s (one 20" HBAR A2 with fixed buttstock, one 16" with full-length handguard), and fired "expert" on the M16 in Army basic back in 1998.

I have begun the process of building my first "modern" AR15 type rifle, having purchased an Aero Precision stripped lower receiver in Desert color.  I intend to build a nice rifle in 5.56mm, but nothing outrageously fancy or complicated.  I was thinking of actually using a standard A2 solid buttstock, or perhaps the one that looks like a SCAR stock.  I will also install a quad rail handguard, a forward vertical grip, and possibly something like the Trijicon RMR sight.  I also want have available removable front and rear sights, something that will give me a sight picture similar to the HK91 type.

Unfortunately, since I live in California, I have to install the idiotically ridiculous "bullet button" magazine release, and will be limited to 10-round magazines, so that it is not deemed an "assault weapon" by my equally idiotically ridiculous state government.

If anyone here has any suggestions for my build as I have described it, please post here.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
General Discussion-type replies are not appropriate in a tech forum - Eric802
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
General Discussion-type replies are not appropriate in a tech forum - Eric802
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I like nice, handy lightweight carbines. I personally rock an A1 style carbine build that still falls in around 5 something lbs, but you can easily beat that without breaking the bank if you go with some of the following:

14.5/14.7" pinned pencil barrel w/ low profile block
lightweight free float tube (MI-SSK and BCM KMR come to mind, MI-SSG2 is a better price)
Either lightweight irons/buis (DD A1.5 or MBUS are my pick) and a lightweight optic if you choose (H1, RMR)

On a regular forged upper this will be lighter than my A1 16" pencil with standard FSB and car handguards. You can shave even more weight by going with something like a mag tactical upper.

Onnn the flip side, if you were going for a precision style rifle I actually think the ridiculous ban compliant style wouldn't be a terrible idea. Just makes a big, heavy, unwieldy gun bigger, heavier, and unwield-ier?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
cj3waker,

Thanks for your reply.  Your suggestions all seem to be good.  I definitely want to go with a free-float tube, but I don't mind the extra weight of a heavier barrel.  The good thing about CA law is that as long as the dreaded "bullet button" is installed, I can install any other feature I want (pistol grip, collapsible stock, bayonet lug, etc)., since CA considers the "bullet button" installation to render the magazine "fixed", even though it can be removed by inserting a 5.56 projectile (or an appropriately-sized tool) into the button.

I'm collecting useful opinions from different people and sources, so please, if anyone else has any suggestions, post them here.  I plan on taking my time with this build, so that I get it right.  This will require some research on my part, and opinions and experience of others, to enable me to make the best choices.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not new to the basic AR15 system, but I AM new to the more modern AR15 rifles and their myriad accessories.  I built two standard AR15s on Bushmaster XM15E2S lowers way back in the 1990s (one 20" HBAR A2 with fixed buttstock, one 16" with full-length handguard), and fired "expert" on the M16 in Army basic back in 1998.

I have begun the process of building my first "modern" AR15 type rifle, having purchased an Aero Precision stripped lower receiver in Desert color.  I intend to build a nice rifle in 5.56mm, but nothing outrageously fancy or complicated.  I was thinking of actually using a standard A2 solid buttstock, or perhaps the one that looks like a SCAR stock.  I will also install a quad rail handguard, a forward vertical grip, and possibly something like the Trijicon RMR sight.  I also want have available removable front and rear sights, something that will give me a sight picture similar to the HK91 type.

Unfortunately, since I live in California, I have to install the idiotically ridiculous "bullet button" magazine release, and will be limited to 10-round magazines, so that it is not deemed an "assault weapon" by my equally idiotically ridiculous state government.

If anyone here has any suggestions for my build as I have described it, please post here.

Thanks!

John
View Quote

Sounds like you have it all figured out. All personal preference for the most part. Enjoy your build.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello John,

Another John from CA.  Even with the idiotic laws here, there's still lots that you can build.  I'm getting ready to start on my sixth AR.  I have two 5.56's, a .308 and a pair of 6.8's. My latest guns, I've been building for accuracy, with the .308 and both 6.8's proving to be sub MOA capable.  The great thing about the AR is that you can do anything you want.  

If you're near any of the Crossroads of the West Gun Shows,  it's not a bad place to check out all of the black stuff.  Careful though, there's a lot of crap there mixed with a few reputable dealers.  It's a good place for handguards, 80% receivers, accessories, some tools and an occassional great deal on drop in triggers.  Generally, no descent optics, get that elsewhere.  Optics Planet is pretty good.  Try some different handguards, thought I liked quads, learned otherwise. I really like the Diamondhead VRS system.  Easiest barreling job ever designed.  

Don't scrimp on the barrel, AR Performance barrels are reasonable and accurate.  You might consider the .223 Wylde.  Melonite is great, as is stainless, with chrome lined being least desirable.  All of my rifles are 16". That's just me, I guess, although my next build will probably be an 18" or 20" heavier gun. Another 6.8 SPC.  I really like the SPC.  I've taken two whitetails with it.  Great hunting round.  

Damned addictive building AR's can be. One more... Maybe... Two...  

John
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
See my edits above - Eric802
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top