Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2014 12:01:10 PM EDT
Just wondering on opinions on doing this? I have  13" Troy rail to cover. Its either this or a budget low profile gas block. I like the idea of being abble to pin it back on and not using a gas block with screws. Suggestions welcome on the gas block
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Angle grinder, cold blue, and a little patience.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I do have a saw and a bench grinder to smooth it out. The reason I ask is because I was at a shop yesterday and they were talking a bunch of crap about doing it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I plan on cutting one of mine either today or tomorrow and installing a Troy 13" Alpha rail (over the DD LW16" mid). Plenty of FSBs have been chopped and it makes one of the most solid gas blocks you can have.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I cut mine with a dremel so it would fit under a DD Omega rail.

go for it, but as others have said, be patient and use the cold blue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing wrong with it, if the posers at the local shop want to make fun of you that's their problem. People pay good money to have gas blocks drilled and pinned. All you need is a hack saw, a file and some high temp black paint. You don't even have to remove it from the barrel, just put it in a vise and go to work. I've done several over the last few years, never had a bad result.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Any extras out there let me know as I want to do one on my flat top.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I just finished this exact task last weekend. I also have the 13" Alpha rail and just make sure you grind enough to fit. The inside diameter is quite small and requires a couple test fits to be sure it wont touch or hang up. These are the steps I used and it went smooth and looks like it came from the factory:

1. Used hacksaw to cut of sling swivel, bayonet lug, and sight post (take your time and draw lines with a crayon or something and you can get it close for less grinding)
2. Used a cheap bench grinder to smooth out and finalize shape and contours (do a bit at a time and monitor your progress as there is no going back if you go too far)
3. Used Perma Blue to touch up areas that were now exposed metal (3 coats and it looks like it came that way from the factory)

This is just what worked for me and if you can get your hands on a bench grinder it will cut the time drastically from using a dremel. Just take your time and pay attention and it is an easy task. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do have a saw and a bench grinder to smooth it out. The reason I ask is because I was at a shop yesterday and they were talking a bunch of crap about doing it.
View Quote

Typical gun store bs.

A pinned A2 fsb is the best potential lo pro sight available.

Unique to its own barrel and a perfect fit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd choose a chopped down, pinned in place fsb over a set screw/clamp on anyday.  I did a few of my rifles this way.  I used a cutting wheel in a Milwaukee grinder to cut of the top and the swivel/bayo lug below.  Then I used a grinding wheel to smooth it out.  Next came the dremel to smooth out all the edges.  Then I hit them with high temp black paint.  

They fit find under a Troy Alpha rail, a DD Lite, and an Apex (308).
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did mine with a Dremel. Take your time and touch it up with some cold blue when finished.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank You Everyone. Has been chopped and rail installed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I did mine and then hit it with some high temp paint. A lot cheaper and probably more secure than an aftermarket gas block.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I used some paint for a grill since i already had it. Would have been nicer if I had some proper tools but I happy to have it installed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 2:49:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know if grinding down my FSP will allow clearance for a 13" Troy BRAVO rail? I, too, have the same problem with a pinned/welded FH.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:20:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone know if grinding down my FSP will allow clearance for a 13" Troy BRAVO rail? I, too, have the same problem with a pinned/welded FH.
View Quote

Yes it will. I did exactly the same thing with the same rail on my BCM middy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I've done a few.  Easy to do if you have some tools and a little patience.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
IMO cutting the fsb is the way to go. Its free, you know its going to be secure, and a different project than bolting something on. You get the feeling that you actually built it and not just pressing "add to cart". My LGS told me i should i never cut my fsb...like its some collectible item. I walked out, cut it up 5 minutes later.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o296/skd_88/8F769C63-D591-44DB-A45D-EE7202E19785_zps721oijpr.jpg
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The local guys just wanted to talk you into buying a new gas block from them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I've done it. You can do a nicer job if you remove it first.
I used a Dremel, Bench grinder, Emory cloth, Oxi blue from Brownells.
Edit; I might have used a Hack Saw. Done more than one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Personally, I would respect a person more if they had a cut down front sight over a low profile factory gas block. Putting on a factory gas block is simple, but cutting one down takes time and effort. Don't listen to the idiots at your shop.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Personally, I would respect a person more if they had a cut down front sight over a low profile factory gas block. Putting on a factory gas block is simple, but cutting one down takes time and effort. Don't listen to the idiots at your shop.
View Quote

Exactly. IMO people who put in the little bit of extra effort to cut their fsb appreciate it for what it can be (or are that cheap ), compared to people who spend $ because its easier. I like having a feeling of accomplishment no matter how small the project is. Next step is to take down my barrel profile on my lathe...
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Then they're idiots.  Taper pins are the most secure way to connect the gas block/fsb to the barrel.  Whether it makes a difference, I have no idea.  All I know is its practically free if you own the barrel and some tools and is sure not to move.  

I did mine with a dremel and some hand files and it turned out pretty good.  Not as great as the one above, but I'm not embarrassed to say I did it myself.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#24]
if it serves its purpose then who cares what it looks like.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]
^^^ exactly!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I sure would. I take pride in my work. So I care what stuff I work on looks like.
Having been a T&D Maker for over 30 years. Tends to make one a "Picky Bitch"
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I sure would. I take pride in my work. So I care what stuff I work on looks like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know the idea I was trying to get across. I was comparing how people "look down" on this because we cut it up and didnt buy a low pro for $40+  I am beyond picky when it comes to machining, I guess on this i didnt really care.. Now that I think about its getting to me. time for a re-do
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#28]
The only negative is if you ever want to go back to the fsb, as I want to do. Yes, I can get a new one and get it pinned but it's just not worth the cost.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Nickel_Gas_Block.jpg
View Quote

This gas block shave down is BAD ASS. -W
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#30]
"I was at a shop yesterday and they were talking a bunch of crap about doing it."

Keep in mind that a shop makes its money by selling things and services......................
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Nickel_Gas_Block.jpg

Bright nickel plated to match the polished SS barrel.  My local decorative chrome shop did it.  Its the step just before the final chrome layer would be applied.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top