Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2008 9:28:02 PM EDT
LINK

Start with a 20rd PMag, 30rd follower, a razor saw, an exacto knife, and some sand paper.

The magazine body has stiffeners molded into it that run pretty much parrallel to the mag base plate.

Remove the base plate, spring and follower.
Using the razor saw, cut just below the top most stiffener.
If you compare the lip that the base plate attaches to with the stiffener you will see the lip is thinner. Use the sand paper on a hard flat surface, sand the base of the mag body until the stiffener is thin enough to slid the base plate on.
The spring bottom plate locks the base plate in place. There is a small tab on the end of this that fits into a notch in the base of the mag body. I used the exacto knife to cut out this notch.
Take the 30rd follower and cut both anti-tilt legs down to the same lenght as the single leg on the 20rd follower
Reassemble the mag using the 30rd follower.

It holds exactly 10 rounds, no more. No modifications to the spring need to be made.
The entire conversion took about 10 minutes.
The mag fits perfectly into the mag well.
No feeding problems at all. Fired a total of 50rds from this one mag yesterday when I was test firing weapons.

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome for a ban state...
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't cut the leg's off the follower how many rounds will it hold then?  Hunting = 5 shots typically.

Could you take a pic comparing the followers, for those of us who don't have a 20 rounder laying around?  Also a picture of the springs would be great too, in case someone with a 30 rounds wanted to cut/convert the longer spring to a shorter one.

Looks good though, great for bench shooting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Sadly this wasnt my work. Im from NY so i just diid a search on google. I paid $25 on riflegear.com for a 10/20.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice! Can't bring myself to cut a pmag tho. It's too expensive here to cut up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome way to cut and paste someone elses text and photos and yet forget to provide them credit
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Awesome way to cut and paste someone elses text and photos and yet forget to provide them credit

Awesome way to not read the whole thread, specifically the post where he says this:

this wasnt my work. Im from NY so i just diid a search on google.

It's better to remain quiet and be thought a fool...
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#9]
**Lets try the complete post**

Customer wanted to know if I could make up some 10rd PMags.
Its actually pretty straight forward.

Start with a 20rd PMag, a razor saw, an exacto knife, and some sand paper.
You will also need a 30rd follower, or a piece of expended 9mm brass or some 2part epoxy and masking tape.

The magazine body has stiffeners molded into it that run pretty much parrallel to the mag base plate.

Remove the base plate, spring and follower.
Using the razor saw, cut just below the top most stiffener.

If you compare the lip that the base plate attaches to with the stiffener you will see the lip is thinner.  Use the sand paper on a hard flat surface, sand the base of the mag body until the stiffener is thin enough to slid the base plate on.
The spring bottom plate locks the base plate in place.  There is a small tab on the end of this that fits into a notch in the base of the mag body.  I used the exacto knife to cut out this notch.

There are three options on the follower:
1. Take the 30rd follower and cut both the front and rear anti-tilt legs to the exact same length as the 20rd follower leg.  .885"

2. Take the 20rd follower and glue a 9mm case into the spring support.

3. Take the 20rd follower and add some epoxy resin into the space between the spring support and anti-tilt leg

Measuring the 30rd follower

after the cut

Reassemble the mag.

Complete mag

loaded

in the weapon

And in the weapon with the Ranger plate

It holds exactly 10 rounds, no more.  No modifications to the spring need to be made.
The entire conversion took about 10 minutes.
The mag fits perfectly into the mag well.
No feeding problems at all.  Fired a total of 50rds from this one mag yesterday when I was test firing weapons.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you don't cut the leg's off the follower how many rounds will it hold then?  Hunting = 5 shots typically.

Could you take a pic comparing the followers, for those of us who don't have a 20 rounder laying around?  Also a picture of the springs would be great too, in case someone with a 30 rounds wanted to cut/convert the longer spring to a shorter one.

Looks good though, great for bench shooting.

The 30rd follower in the cut down 20rd holds 8rds.

You would need to add a limiting device to the bottom of the Follower, similar to what I did with my 10/30 how too.

Plus doing this you could set it up with out cutting the mag body.  Just get a second follower.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Very nice! Can't bring myself to cut a pmag tho. It's too expensive here to cut up.

PMags are 13.50.  Most of the reliable 10rd AR mags I can find are 20+

Seemed like a no brainer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome way to not read the whole thread, specifically the post where he says this:

I don't see where he provided a link to the original post...do you?

Maybe you should follow your own advice :D
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see where he provided a link to the original post...do you?

Maybe you should follow your own advice :D

I dont know about you but by looking at the link in the photos in the original post I would say that's close enough.

I think 10rd Pmags would be a good idea but there wouldn't be enough market to produce though. With the odds of me relocating back to NY in the future I like the 10rd Pmag deal. But for now I keep my build and accessories ban-legal with the exception of 5 Pmags I bought this last month.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sorry i didn't pay dues to the person who owns the copy rights to this information I simply copied it from another forum as I found it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm sorry i didn't pay dues to the person who owns the copy rights to this information I simply copied it from another forum as I found it.

You're an idiot. AlohaRovers IS the guy from the other post. Quit being an ass and give more credit where it is due.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#16]
oh jesus tittyfucking christ people, the photos have the link, and he stated once before it wasn't his info but something he found on a google search.

seriously, how many adults are actually in this thread?
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
oh jesus tittyfucking christ people, the photos have the link, and he stated once before it wasn't his info but something he found on a google search.

In which post did he state it was not his work ? Not in the first post that for sure.

height=8
Quoted:
seriously, how many adults are actually in this thread?

There's a few of us in here, neither you or the OP are though.

David F.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I will contact a lawyer and have a official disclaimer written up before posting some possibly interesting information from now on. IN THE ORIGINAL POST instead of the second one when additional pics are requested.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#19]
You should have LINKED where you stole this from. A website in the corner of the pictures is bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the least you could do is edit your original post and give credit to the person who really did it.

Its not that you copy and pasted someone else work. For the most part there usually isn't a problem with doing that. Its that you never gave credit to the person who really did it anywhere on/in your post.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#21]
EDITED to stop the crying
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a very interesting write up. Snaggletooth, thank you for posting this information here.

Aloha, thank you for your ingenuity. This is a wonderful idea.

I just hope Magpul will make 5 and 10 round magazines.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh the humanity of it all.

Nice work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Aside from all the bitching and moaning.....

I would like to thank the OP for posting the info here, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

I would also like to thank the person who came up with it all. Very well done.

I'm gonna have to stop by AimSurplus next week and pick up and extra pmag to try this on. Looks like a great range mag.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You should have LINKED where you stole this from. A website in the corner of the pictures is bullshit.

You and aloha crying like little bitches is bullshit.  What are you, his peg boy?  Grow up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sadly this wasnt my work. Im from NY so i just diid a search on google. I paid $25 on riflegear.com for a 10/20.

With this and EBR.com across each pic why the drama.

Thanks for the post
snaggletooth1925
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't get it...why do you have to mod the 20 round follower for it to work in the cut down 20 round mag?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You and aloha crying like little bitches is bullshit.  What are you, his peg boy?  Grow up.

+1. I don't usually jump into pissing contests like this, but I was a little suprised at the reaction given by several people in this thread. Then the OP apologized, and was criticized even more? WTF is that about?

He brought an interesting idea form another forum over here to share with all of us. He has apologized for not giving proper credit in the first place, and edited the post accordingly.

Maybe it's time for some?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 2:40:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Excellent idea, that means three Beowulf rounds will fit fine for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Getting back on topic...anyone know why you have to mod the 20 round follower for it to work in the cut down 20 round mag?

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I dont think you have to i think the only one that needs to be modified is the 30rd.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd read the instructions again. He clearly gives instructions for the 20 round using epoxy or a 9mm shell casing.

Update:  Aloha says that the 20 round follower mod is to insure that the mag will only allow 10 rounds, not doing ti will allow 11 rounds.  So it only affects operation of the mag in that sense.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top