Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2008 4:39:10 PM EDT
At the fun show this weekend a guy was selling complete C.A.R. style kits minus the stripped lower receiver like Model 1 advertises.  The box showed manufactured for (company who's name I can't remember) by CMMG, Inc. I looked in the box and the pieces looked good quality, WASP coated, A3 upper, and even came with a carry handle and one magazine for $500.  I talked to the guy and compared it to a similar M1S kit at $460 and he offered to match the price, tax included.hock.gif I told him I wnted one, but I would have to take a walk and come back.  The show closed and when I came back he was gone.

Has anybody built a rifle with one of these, and does anybody know who offers this kit?

-Chris
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe what you saw was a FireforEffect kit.  I don't know their URL, but just google FireforEffect...

Sounds like you missed out on a great deal...
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is Fire for Effect's kits.  They do say they are manufactured by CMMG.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
FFE is good to go in my book. I was contemplating buying a Bargain Bin Rifle a few months ago, and a CMMG rep. told me personally he would purchase a FFE kit and put it together himself over a BBR.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#4]
  Before i got my AR in a trade a few days ago  , i had emailed FFE a few times for availability and they finally told me they had them in stock and ready to ship . I asked because i read all the backorder BS on the CMMG threads , and didnt want to have to wait for it .
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds like a heck of a deal at $499.00.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought all CMMG uppers were chrome lined or stainless barrels.  These say Chrome moly barrels.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
There is nothing bad about it being chrome moly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought all CMMG uppers were chrome lined or stainless barrels.  These say Chrome moly barrels.

Just curious.

NO
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
these are really tempting, might just grab one
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
whooops accidently hit the order button on a m4 kit.... hehehe cant wait to have 4 ar15s in my collection!
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
They do seem like a good deal.  I wish they had a lightweight kit.  Maybe in time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I wish they had mid-length kits; but for the price, it is quite hard to beat...
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#13]
so has anyone else actually bought one of these kits? i ordered mine tuesday and havnt heard anything from them, no email, phone call or nothing, im gonna check my account and see if they took the money out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, a midlength and rifle kit too would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
tagged b/c I want one now
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
ok, i checked my account, nothing has been charged yet, and it has been 3-4 days so far, no email or call. And they dont have any contact info on their site to call them....maybe i should have called delton or j&t :(
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ok, i checked my account, nothing has been charged yet, and it has been 3-4 days so far, no email or call. And they dont have any contact info on their site to call them....maybe i should have called delton or j&t :(

J&T, hope it works out for you
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
yea, i was hoping to have it shipped and on its way since i ordered it days ago, but i guess not?

i built a kit from model 1 and they were....eh they kinda forgot my order and i had to call twice untill they finally got the ball rolling, What ever happened to, ordering somthing and having it actually come to you?
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#19]
This may be a really dumb question, but to quote from the FFE website "ALL KITS ARE SHIPPED UNASSEMBLED".  Does that mean that the upper is unassembled?

I think that the upper is assembled but not the lower, which leads to the question:  How could the lower kit be assembled if the lower isn't included?

These look like a good deal to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I have purchased the M4 kit from FFE. It is my first build. I already had a CMMG lower

Sean is the name of the guy behind FFE. His work phone # is 660-248-2293

The upper reciever comes fully assembled. The Dust cover is already on and the forward assist is good to go already.

It took 2 weeks to get my parts kit. It went out with a serial # on the Box. UPS flagged it as a firearm transfer with no recieving FFL and so it went back to FFE.

It finally arrived but was missing the carry handle, trigger guard pin and the buffer. I called Sean and he sent them out right away.

Sean is an great guy. He is having some teething problems with the business but I believe he will get them ironed out soon. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

The phone # I provided is actually the # for CMMG. He spends several days there every week.  The receptionist knew him by name

Any other questions please ask.

PS. I have one problem with my lower build. The bolt catch is not functioning. It is installed correctly. The bolt just does not come back far enough to latch it. Still trying to figure it out

PSS-Fixed it. Kit came with an A2 buffer spring instead of the shorter telestock spring. Luckily I had a telestock spring from a Complete Spring Package I ordered from Bushmaster years ago
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

PS. I have one problem with my lower build. The bolt catch is not functioning. It is installed correctly. The bolt just does not come back far enough to latch it. Still trying to figure it out

PSS-Fixed it. Kit came with an A2 buffer spring instead of the shorter telestock spring. Luckily I had a telestock spring from a Complete Spring Package I ordered from Bushmaster years ago

I've seen that before.

Thanks for answering my question.

Link Posted: 5/1/2008 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#22]
It was Fire for Effect.  I remember that now that I see it.

height=8
Quoted:
Sean is the name of the guy behind FFE. His work phone # is 660-248-2293

That may have been who I talked to.  The guy I talked to seemed to be the head honcho.  Anyway, he was a cool cat and seemed like a straight shooter (figuratively).  I was comfortable asking him questions and he was happy to answer them, whoever he was.

-Chris
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#23]
TO ALL FFE OWNERS:

What is the EXACT stamping on your barrels?

Thank you for the help.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]
My Colt HBAR 20" is stamped in front of the front sight. I don't see any stampings on my FFE barrel or my RRA. Both are 16 inchers with standard F marked front sight bases. The Colt and RRA were bought complete from Gun shops.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#25]
awesome, thanks for the number, i still have not heard anything from them since i ordered
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]
still have not heard anything from them and i called them monday to make sure...

April 28th- ordered kit online
May 5th- called to check status, they said they had problems with there server and they didnt get my order. Even though i was a lil angry i re ordered the kit and gave them my info AGAIN. Said it would ship is 2-3 days

Link Posted: 5/8/2008 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#27]
FYI:
Here is the response I recieved when I asked if the uppers were assembled.

"All the kits on our web page are complete, but not assembled.

We do offer a type "CMK" kit upgrade for only $50.  

With a "CMK", or Cave Man Kit, the upper half is fully assembled, head spaced and test fired. "

"
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
The upper reciever comes complete. You need to attach the barrel. The barrel comes with the front sight already on. You need to aatach the barel to the upper. Put in the gas tube, screw on flash hider and attach front sling swivel.

From what i understand the CM kit comes with the upper assembly already put together
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Are the carry handle and stock quality products?
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#30]
So if this was my first AR build and by first AR at all would I be able to build it? Or would it end with parts everywhere and me pulling my hair out? Basically I am cheap and I want the CMMG. I would buy the CMMG lower at AIM surpluss. Any advice?
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#31]
No you won't end up with parts everywhere. It was my first build also. I built the lower while sitting on the floor next to my computer. The only problem with these kits is that mine did not come complete. I was missing several parts. Also I was sent the wrong buffer spring. So, what I am saying is that it would be helpful if you were fairly knowledgeable about AR's before hand.

The front sight comes already mounted. Also the upper reciever comes assembled. The Bolt carrier group is also fully assembled For an extra 50 bucks you can get it with the entire upper already completed. That way you just assemble the lower in one hour and attach the buttstock
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, another question. On the FFE sight it says on the HBAR kit that the barrel is stamped WASP but then it says chrome moly so which is it? It will be in my shopping basket tomorrow if its WASP. Also since its CMMG does it have all the goodies like M4 feed ramps and properly staked gas key, full auto bolt carrier? Or should I not worry and just get one allready?
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Caimbridge,

I'll tell you in a few hours.

I ordered my CMMG lower from Aim Surplus, it's sitting at my dealers right now, Fed Ex says my FFE M4Kit is on the truck and out for delivery (didn't know fed ex home delivered on Saturdays)

This will be my First AR-15 build.

The wife and 2 smaller kids head to a party at 3:00 so I'll have some time to myself to build it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Well I am excited to know. Hope it all goes well and sounds like I will end up with a very similar gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Well parts kit got delivered today.

But the wife decided she wasn't feeling well so I took the kids to the party.  So I didn't get a chance to swing by my FFL and pick up the lower.  That will have to wait until Monday now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi I went to a gun show in Oklahoma City today, a vendor was selling A2 & A3 uppers complet ready to put on lower. The guy said they were by CMMG but didn't have any markings, said they were making a kit less lower for about $550 but had not order any. The guy was up front that CMMG made his uppers he let me pull the hand gaurds off and look at the barrel, no markings. I pulled the BCG had M4 FR looked as good any I have seen but then I haven't looked at a lot. Asking $400, he had about 10 on display, I think the barrels HBAR config. I have a Colt with 10 1/2 about 30 years old this barrels look the same, in 16 " I have 6 lower just begging for an upper might go back Sun and get one, I got a 2 day ticket 6 buck so no extra door. On other think the uppers had what look like an omega symbol on the upper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Well parts kit got delivered today.

But the wife decided she wasn't feeling well so I took the kids to the party.  So I didn't get a chance to swing by my FFL and pick up the lower.  That will have to wait until Monday now.

Bump for update.

Forget the wife and kids man this is important!
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry,

Forgot about this thread.

Picked up my CMMG Lower from my FFL on Monday.

Got home, took me about an hour to put the kit together, most of that time was spent looking for the vise grips.  Why they were in the front hall credenza instead of my tool box in the garage I don't know, but I'm sure it had something to do with one of the 4 kids.

I couldn't find any markings on the barrel.  I'm kind of new to AR-15's, looks to me like it has M4 feed ramps but the bolt carrier only has small dimples for staking, I don't know what the full auto bolt carriers look like.

This is the only picture I have on photo bucket right now.  I'll take some more tonight when I get home.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN00891.jpg
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Cool, let us know how it shoots.  These kits look like the best deal going right now.

Is it the camera or does the upper actually look green though?  Is that the WASP finish?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Must be the lighting or camera,  Upper is dark black, lower is just a tough lighter.

I didn't order it directly from FFE, I ordered it from a guy on Glock Talk, I think he also posts here are AR15.com.  He said that the kits had the new WASP finish, but there is no marking on the barrel or box that says anything about WASP.

Here is the guy I ordered the kit from:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=541254

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:..... took me about an hour to put the kit together....

VaFish,

Was this the kit that already has the upper completely done?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hi I went to a gun show in Oklahoma City today, a vendor was selling A2 & A3 uppers complet ready to put on lower. The guy said they were by CMMG but didn't have any markings, said they were making a kit less lower for about $550 but had not order any. The guy was up front that CMMG made his uppers he let me pull the hand gaurds off and look at the barrel, no markings. I pulled the BCG had M4 FR looked as good any I have seen but then I haven't looked at a lot. Asking $400, he had about 10 on display, I think the barrels HBAR config. I have a Colt with 10 1/2 about 30 years old this barrels look the same, in 16 " I have 6 lower just begging for an upper might go back Sun and get one, I got a 2 day ticket 6 buck so no extra door. On other think the uppers had what look like an omega symbol on the upper.

Scott, That was the guy. He was at the Tulsa show this weekend. He was selling the upper for 400 and the lower parts for 150. So if you bought both, it was 550.

Non of them he had were chrome lined. He tried to tell me, that if I didnt shoot 10k rounds a month, I didnt need the chrome lining. I told him, that once I hit 10k I am probably buyng a new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:

I didn't order it directly from FFE, I ordered it from a guy on Glock Talk, I think he also posts here are AR15.com.  He said that the kits had the new WASP finish, but there is no marking on the barrel or box that says anything about WASP.

Bought mine from Lief as well.  Great guy to deal with and talk to.  Will be buying a CMMG 14.5" with perm. Phantom next week from him as well.  

By the way, it looks like the actual upper is standard mil-spec anno. (which matches up great with Spikes Lowers), and only the barrel has the WASP finish.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Did the kit come with the Carry handle? Also any markings on the Upper receiver or the bolt?

Let me get you some pics of my Stag upper from Legal Transfers, it's $633 complete kit including a BUIS and magazine.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#46]
This is the STAG Kit, (no pictures of lower parts since it was mispacked. Will get pics if you guys want to see when it gets here.). Let me know how this is compared to your kit, I got this as a backup toy, but never expected this good of quality.

Supposed to be Chrome lined, but it does not specify this on barrel markings.

T marked upper rails with MI BUIS

Upper forge marking.

CM marked bolt.

None M4 Feed Ramp cuts.

F marked front site with sling mount

Staked Carrier.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes Upper was assembled and test fired.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Upper receiver has the keyhole mark on it.  Nothing else I can see.  No marks on the barrel.  The bold has a "D" stamped on it.

Finally got to take it out the the range today.  Put a couple hundred rounds of Various commercial .223, some 55 gr.FMJ and some SS109 through it.  No failures of any kind.

Best groups were with some Winchester 40 gr JHP in a bulk pack from Walmart.  About 3/4" at 50 yards.  Some of the problem was probably with my scope mount.  I was using a 3-9X Tasco in some Millet High mounts.  They still weren't quite high enough.

Biggest problem was with the removable carry handle, had to adjust the sight all the way to the left to get it sighted in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Bought mine from Lief as well.  Great guy to deal with and talk to.  Will be buying a CMMG 14.5" with perm. Phantom next week from him as well.  

By the way, it looks like the actual upper is standard mil-spec anno. (which matches up great with Spikes Lowers), and only the barrel has the WASP finish.

I got one of the kits from Lief also, everything worked perfectly and he was a great guy to deal with. I put a CMMG stripped lower on this kit just to have everything matching.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top