Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2008 8:56:05 PM EDT
So I'm a newbie looking into getting an AR15.  I'm on a budget and want to save some money, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for it.   I hear if you build everything yourself you'll save a lot of cash, but haven't found any total prices for a complete build.  

Chime in with your experiences.  I hear good things about Sabre, LMT, and maybe RRA, so was leaning towards their products.  Feel free to offer alternatives.  

Also let me know if a newbie might be in over their heads building one.  I've considered just buying the complete upper and later buying a complete lower, can you save much going that route?

Thanks for help...
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the begining stages of my first build, but what i already know is that I am NOT going to save money on my finished product.  But I will however have my rifle exactly how I want it, which IMO is 90% of the reason to build.  But i did purchase an RRA Entry and I love it.  I bought that for $900 new and would suggest maybe going that route.  Or I know my local guy sales stag flat tops with mi rear buis for $775 which is great!!!  Shop around and find what sells cheap around you and then post those prices, get some feedback and then decide what is right for you.

The reality is, you dont know what you want or dont want yet so regardless your going to change everything atleast three times before you go back to your original set-up
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I just built my first AR and did it for $565.  I have had AKs and SKSs so i'm not used to spending alot on assault rifles which made me determined to do my build cheap.  I bought a DPMS stripped lower back in December from an add in shotgun news for $105.  I then found AR15.com and started to watch the EE.  In march I arranged to buy an LPK, A1 stock and grip, complete bolt, firing pin, buffer, spring and tube for $110.  The stock and grip are obviously used but the other parts seemed new/almost new.  I then spotted a 16inch bull barrel with A3 upper on the EE and paid $285.  Now i'm waiting for a DPMS stripped bolt carrier to come that I paid $65 for new from DPMS.  I cleaned everything off and assembled it on my bedroom floor in an hour and a half with simple tools. For what I wanted it for and what a similar kit would cost I think I came out pretty good.  I took the ACOG look a like off my AK so i'm not counting that.  I'm going to add a scope and bipod next month.  It's not the best looking but it's going to be hard on ground hogs.  just noticed the date on pic is wrong, actually took it on friday.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn112/trevorap84/102_1573.jpg
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If you get a Good lower at a good price (around $100) you can build a basic ,shoot forever AR15 or CAR for around $550 to $600.  This should include all shipping and FFL transfers. YOu can probably do the same by watching the EE and KNOWING what it is you want and it's value. Look at the pricing on the site supporters sites, compare them to asking prices in the EE.

I have dont it both ways.. the easiest is Buying a kit from Garrison,sherluck ,JT or Delton, all will give you great support and put out a solid product. PM me with questions if you like..
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
I just built my first AR and did it for $565.  I have had AKs and SKSs so i'm not used to spending alot on assault rifles...

Unless they're select-fire versions of those platforms then you're not used to spending *anything* on "assault rifles".

Please don't feed the antis
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a RRA 16" that I built.  I love it!!!  Shoots better than my bolt guns.  You can buy the kit (includes all but the stripped lower receiver)  I think that's the way to go.   The benefit of building yourself is that you can avoid paying for anything you are going to replace later such as a handguard if you're going to install a railed handguard.  I also think that you avoid paying some excise tax as well.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out Fire for Effect. They have the cheapest kits I've found so far. Made by CMMG.

THEY COME INCOMPLETE.

FFE
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top