Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:34:35 AM EDT
Anyone tried the Sun Devil Mfg. lowers?  What did you think?  How do they compare to others (Bushy, RRA, etc.)?

Someone I know has one that he's thinking of getting rid of and the price might be right.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
they are great lowers, esp for the price

i'd put them w/ megas, which imo, are above of bushy's and RRAs (except for the logo design and name, which people know more on the other brands)
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got an early one on my 50bmg, it works great, no complaints with it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked one up, the quality is great and it was $150 less than POF. I know its not the same grade of aluminum as the POF lower but for my second or third build it will be just perfect. Now I just have to get the rest of the parts and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the reason for billet lowers again?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
POF makes lowers?  What's the difference in metal quality?  I thought they were all Milspec aluminum.  What's the difference in mfg. techniques in terms of quality?  Milled billets vs forged machined?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
bump for new questions.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#11]

I purchased a Sun Devil. Very pleased with the quality.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just received mine. WOW. It sure is "pretty." No mill marks visible, fairly beefy because of the material used. Either way, I am happy.

Mikey
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
So is the Sun Devil beefier and heavior than the average forged lower?  Any info would be helpful, thanks much!
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought one from Jeff at AZ Armory, who has his stamped with his logo.  I kinda wish the roll mark was more recessed (flush with surface), like the "fire" and "safe," but I guess that's the way it is.  Is that the same with Anvil's custom roll markings?

Anyhow, the receiver itself is beautifully finished, and I like the extra grip forward of the mag well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a short description of aluminum alloys and heat treatments. There is a significant differance in the various grades of aluminum, and what they should be used for.
7075 is the strongest by far, but like all aluminums it will work harden and fail if not properly engineered.
6061 is cheap and reasonably strong, it's used in aircraft mainspars and skins, good stuff.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/aluminfo.php

It's likely that of the two grades mentioned above for lower receivers, neither one will fail before the owner is long gone, and the rifle is passed on to others more than once or twice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Just put together a Sun Devil this weekend. They're definately worth the extra $25 or so. Everything went together perfectly and it's not any heavier than my Stag, or at least not enough to notice. Now I need to get ahold of an upper. The guy I picked up my lower from mentioned that Sun Devil now has uppers with forward assist, if anyone is needing that. Personally I plan on going with a slickside.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the S&W Performance Center ARs have Sun Devil uppers and lowers so it's fairly easy to take a look at them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top