Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2007 7:12:01 PM EDT
Okay,
   I'm building my second ar and need some advice. My first was a rra build with a 16" midlength upper. I've just finished building my bushmaster lower with an a2 stock. I want to use a varmint style upper to have something different than the first one I built. The model one sales uppers seem to be okay but I'm not sure. My RRA build chews everything I feed it and has yet to not go bang or hang up. I would like to try and get that again with this one. Or, should I just go with another RRA upper on this one as well. I know they are supposed to be in completely different league's but if I can save money and get the same results I will. I am still kind of new to AR's so try not to flame me too bad.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a Model 1 kit several years ago and it worked fine. I realize my 1 time experience isn't much to go on, but Model 1 has been in business for quite a while while other companies have come and gone.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have ordered 5 or 6 uppers from M1S and never had a problem, but give it a few and I am sure someone will be along to tell you horror stories.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The uppers are decent. The lower parts on the other hand are really rough and need some dremel action to smooth out. The RRA upper will probably be more accurate though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I like them and have built a few ARs for myself and others with their kits. Last two 16" CAR kits I put together had tight bolt catchs. I just had to drift out the rollpin, a few swipes on both sides with a file and it was fixed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]
For blasting or plinking the Barrrels are fine (Shaw), bolt carries need to be stacked. Its the LPK's I have issues with(plastic parts...out of speck)
For LPKs I use:
http://www.rbprecision.com/id14.htm
RB Lower parts kits $51.00 and they send extra parts(detents). 70+ builds the RBP LPKs.
You can spend more with DEL-TON and be happy the first time. Or if $$ is the issue try EE (used). Isn't BRD a Bitch
ATB
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#6]
In most cases, Model 1 Sales costs MORE than Del-Ton or J&T.  They used to be the cheap brand, but they aren't any more.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For blasting or plinking the Barrrels are fine (Shaw), bolt carries need to be stacked. Its the LPK's I have issues with(plastic parts...out of speck)
For LPKs I use:
RB Lower parts kits $51.00 and they send extra parts(detents). 70+ builds the RBP LPKs.
You can spend more with DEL-TON and be happy the first time. Or if $$ is the issue try EE (used). Isn't BRD a Bitch
ATB

I guess I'm fairly new too. What do you mean by stacking the bolt carriers?
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In most cases, Model 1 Sales costs MORE than Del-Ton or J&T.  They used to be the cheap brand, but they aren't any more.  

+1  I have never had a Model 1 part but I can vouch for Del-Ton and J&T.  Top quality stuff and excellent people to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had really good results with Model1hMaybe Model1 is a good place to start building from, gain some experience and confidance...first and second builds........then after you (as a amatuear gunsmithy) gain experience.......you want more.....
Honestly.........I've seen some builds on here that just kick my ass............and I hope I can figure out how to get my stuff to that level.
Link Posted: 7/6/2007 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have purchased a dozen or so fire control groups, I work them up and sell them as a drop in trigger job for customers. They worked very well with no extra fitting required.

Bill
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My front sight was canted to the right so much that the rear sight was barely able to compensate for it, but it was.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For LPKs I use:
ATB

The Carrier (the thing the bolt goes in) has a "key"(gas tube goes in it during firing...) held on with two 8-32x1/4 Carrier Key Screws.
Carrier Key Screws are torqued - 35 INCH pounds to 40 INCH pounds (INCH !!!)
Then the key is "stacked" ie; metal pushed around screw. You can do it with a $100 tool. Or use a prick punch and a big hammer .
If the gas key comes loose, gun don't work
ATB
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For LPKs I use:
ATB

He means Staked.  Which means that metal surrounding the mounting bolts is pushed in against the bolt heads to keep them from backing out while firing.

To the original poster.

I have purchased a complete kit from Model 1.  The upper has been just fine.  My carrier key was staked, but not heavily staked.  There have been no problems with mine and the barrel provides very good accuracy for an iron sighted carbine.  (1-1.25" at 100yds is about the norm but I did manage several sub 1 inch groups with Black Hills ammo and taking my time).  The only jams i have had were directly related to bad mags that I have since eliminated.
The lower parts kit had a couple of small parts that did not fit.  I have used Stag, and DPMS lower parts kits with no problems.  I just picked up an LMT parts kit but haven't used it yet.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
For LPKs I use:
ATB

He means Staked.  Which means that metal surrounding the mounting bolts is pushed in against the bolt heads to keep them from backing out while firing.

To the original poster.

I have purchased a complete kit from Model 1.  The upper has been just fine.  My carrier key was staked, but not heavily staked.  There have been no problems with mine and the barrel provides very good accuracy for an iron sighted carbine.  (1-1.25" at 100yds is about the norm but I did manage several sub 1 inch groups with Black Hills ammo and taking my time).  The only jams i have had were directly related to bad mags that I have since eliminated.
The lower parts kit had a couple of small parts that did not fit.  I have used Stag, and DPMS lower parts kits with no problems.  I just picked up an LMT parts kit but haven't used it yet.

Okay, I knew about staking the screws. "Stacking" just didn't quite make sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Alwayssavinup, have you considered a Bushmaster upper. My 16" Patrolman's Carbine is a real ammo whore. It eats el-cheapo Wolf just fine. I've never tried to see just how accurate it is at a range (that's what my Rem 700 is for), but it hits what I aim at.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#16]
My first build was a Model 1 kit.

Here is my feedback:

1) Front Sight significantly canted off to the right.
2) A2 Flash Hider was not indexed.
3) Barrel Nut only finger tight. Barrel was loose in the upper receiver.
4) Lower Parts Kit had 3 problems:
- Roll Pin too big
- Trigger Guard Pin too big
- Bolt Catch was out of spec, causing difficulty in releasing the bolt on a fresh mag.

At the time, it was a good deal and a great way to get into AR's, but after spending over 10,000$ on this BRD, I would advise spending the extra $30 and going with a different provider. In a year from now, that $30 will be nothing compared to everything you will buy. Ammo, Gear, Cleaning Equipment, Optics, etc etc.

Just my 0.02.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I got an AR-15 bolt carrier and hammer from them, among other things.  I was having problems getting things to work properly, so I called them.  The woman who answered the phone stated that the company was owned by another woman, who didn't know anything about guns, and that if I called back at a particular time, on a particular day, I could talk to a man who did.  He didn't have an answer either, so I called Bushmaster.  They told me that the hammer Model 1 sold me would not work with the carrier I got from them.  I ordered a hammer from Bushmaster, which solved the problem.

I haven't dealt with Model 1 since, and don't plan on doing so in the future.

Ulrik
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]
My CAR A2 lightweight upper works fine so far, but I only have a couple hundred rounds through it. The sights  could be better, but the price was right. Slight cosmetic blems on the upper receiver too.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top