Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 8:54:46 AM EDT
Hello,

I just finished two builds for my son's.  It's a surprise.  They know nothing about these AR's.  I plan on giving them to them in a few weeks.  I'm waiting for a couple of cleaning kits to come and 500 rounds each of S&B ammo I ordered on Thursday.  I wanted to sight them in today...too cold,  It's about 22 degrees right now.  The range I go to has metal stools at the benches :-)  I'll wait.  So, maybe next Saturday.

Here's the specs:

Superior Arms Lowers from RBprecision
DPMS Lowers Parts Kit from Brownells
Houge Grip from Brownells
Gapper from Brownells
CAA 6 Position Buttstock from Midway
16" Chrome Lined RRA Middy Upper from LegalTransfers
LMT Rear BUIS from Title 2 from the EE

Just for the above it was right at $750 each.  Plus four mags each and the ammo and cleaning kits I am waiting for.

I can't wait to see the looks on their faces!

RS
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice. Can you be my daddy too?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Great gift
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
SWEEEET!

I am available for adoption on the weekends!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered uppers to finish the lowers for my two boys. My boys are 2 and 4

Job well done dad
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
thats not even cold, throw a foam pad on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered uppers to finish the lowers for my two boys. My boys are 2 and 4

Job well done dad

Haha!  Well you got started earlier than I did.  My sons are 22 and 18 :-)

Cheers,

RS

Edit to add:

thats not even cold, throw a foam pad on the ground.

With my arthritis, if I would lay down on a foam pad in the snow at 22+ degrees, I wouldn't be able to get back up till Spring.

It's killing me but I'll wait for a little warmer temps.

Cheers,

RS
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

With my arthritis, if I would lay down on a foam pad in the snow at 22+ degrees, I wouldn't be able to get back up till Spring.

It's killing me but I'll wait for a little warmer temps.

Cheers,

RS

just messin with ya, its all relative.  we went to the range a few weeks ago when it was in the teens, felt like summer.  but it is -33'F now, but its a dry cold.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
i need a new family, everyone in mine doesnt understand guns... its not the gun its the fun of owning it, the history, the machine its self.

nice, work your kids will enjoy them im sure
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Post a pic of their faces when you give them those rifles!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
daddy?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Hats off to you and thanks for the idea!  

I want to see pics of female family members when they find out about the evil black guns. (aunts, cousins, grandmas, etc.) :)

I can just hear my grandma saying "now why on earth did you do that!"
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
That's freakin' awesome...

it things like this that put a smile on my face...

good job dad!  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
You my friend are the worlds greatest dad!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
You are like the best dad ever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice!!!!!

Why don't you take them out shooting and surprise them there? Make it a father and sons shooting day and spend some time sighting them in then. Show them how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
  I gave my son his first AR last year, 8yo. His only disappointment was when I told him he couldn't keep it in his bed at night. When relatives visit it's the first thing he proudly shows them. Have to love it when he doe's a proper clear before handing it over for someone to observe without ever having to be told. One thing is people always think it's not really his to keep. That I am just telling him it's his. they just don't get it. It's his for life.
 When I get back from this job I plan on running him and a friend of mine son thru a one week sniper course out on my property. Power point classes, field craft, right off the POI.
  Dont know if I mentioned this before. I live near FT Bragg. My range is always open to anyone in the area needing a place to shoot. Nothing elaborate, I just cleared out a 25 meter range with plenty of room for shooting and moving. I have plenty of steel and paper targets, just bring your own guns and ammo. I do need to build some new barricades. Last ones were made from untreated lumber I had lying around and they finally rotted away. I will be finished with this gig mid June. I will post a reminder when I get back home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#17]
WAY TO GO DAD you got my vote

just finishing a build for my son who is 12. i tell the guys at work and show them pics of the gun and they think i have lost my mind. then i tell them my next build is a 1919A4 beltfed machine gun, their eyes bug out and i keep hearing IM YOUR FRIEND or IM ON YOUR SIDE REMBER. cant wait till we all get together for a 4 gun shoot this summer pistol, small bore rifle, big bore rifle and shotgun.

lower J&T
LPK J&T
4pos stock J&T
16 BM HBAR post ban
Cerro forge keyhole A2 upper
colt bolt
DPMS A2 sight
DPMS carrier
colt m16 firing pin
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's freakin' awesome...

it things like this that put a smile on my face...

good job dad!  

I agree 100%. A gift they will never forget.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#19]
WHat about mine Dad?
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, my younger son has been fighting a sinus infection for a few days now.  Sounds like he is going through puberty again

So last night I gave him his AR.  What a BIG smile on both of our faces.  His brother, my college son, will be home on Friday.  That is when he will get his AR.  I've been close to bursting waiting for the two of them to be together and give them to them at one time.  I just couldn't hold out any longer.  The sinus infection was a good excuse.

Cheers,

RS
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Two Christmas's ago, I gave my Son-In-Law an AR. Well, it was more of an AR kit... or a big boys erector set. Inside the styrofoam peanut filled box (didn't want it to rattle) was all of the components and tools to build his own: DPMS barrel and flat-top receiver, Superior Arms lower, DPMS LPK, A2 stock and handguards, DPMS multi-wrench, receiver block, and, of course, ARFCOM DIY instructions.

The smile on his face topped that on mine. It was better than the memories of putting bicycle together at 2 am on Christmas morn, then having to brave the cold to put on the training wheels!

My grandsons take after this "Good Ole Boy" in their love and respect for firearms.

... into another generation this freedom is passed.

buckmeister
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Rickkster-- Great job!!!    

My second build is going to my 12 year old boy, third goes to my 11 year old boy...they dont know it yet...thats the best cause they helped on Dad's first.   Then my girls will probably want the ones with pink furniture!
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my vote for Father of the year!
Hows the quailty of those CAA stocks I like the look.
How long is the LOP with the recoil pad, longer than a standard 6pos M4?
Again good job POP!
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#24]
My grandsons take after this "Good Ole Boy" in their love and respect for firearms.

... into another generation this freedom is passed.

buckmeister

Train them up in the way they should go....Good job!

My second build is going to my 12 year old boy, third goes to my 11 year old boy...they dont know it yet...thats the best cause they helped on Dad's first. Then my girls will probably want the ones with pink furniture!

I'm already thinking of doing a build for my wife..

Hows the quailty of those CAA stocks I like the look.
How long is the LOP with the recoil pad, longer than a standard 6pos M4?

For the price I think the CAA stocks are pretty decent.  The buffer tube is commercial though.  I don't have a standard 6 position M4, however my CTR measures about 10.5 inches completely collapsed from the face of the trigger to just below the middle of the buttpad.  On the CAA measured the same way the length is 11 inches.

Cheers,

RS
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice gift.  I'd love to see the look on their faces.  I've got two retro 20" A1 builds in the safe for my kids when they come of age.  My girl is 4 and boy is 6 right now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Well my college son came home today and when I got home from work it was time to give him his surprise.  Once again like with his brother when I gave him his AR earlier, BIG smiles on his face and mine.

Thanks for all of the nice comments.  I had such a good time planning this.  Putting these two AR's together for them and seeing the looks on their faces when I gave them to them, was something I will never forget and will always cause me to get a big grin on my face when I think about it.

Now, even more fun when we get to spend time at the range together.  I feel content...until BRD strikes again....

Cheers,

RS
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
JOB WELL DONE. Nice Gifts, I have lowers on order to build my two girls(age 4 & 2) , wife and myself new rifles all with custom serial numbers. What better gift could you give a child(or grown child for that matter) than a fine rifle. I can imagine the smile on your face was pretty big because I know I am excited about being able to do it for my young ones.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top