BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2006 6:15:10 AM EDT
Who actually stakes their castle nut on their builds?

I didn't previously, and havent had any issues, but recently after expeiencing one other weapon part (not on my M4) come loose because of the changing temps I have though about staking.

I am glad I didn't do it before because I just pulled it apart to install a Daniel Defense Burnsed Loop, but now I am thinking about staking it.

For those who have, did you just use a regular punch?
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe every AR15 castle nut should be staked. Mine is. The other one has an M93, so it's not.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe every AR15 castle nut should be staked. Mine is. The other one has an M93, so it's not.

That is because you are a Colt freak.  

Nope! I actually don't own a Colt lower....

I'm a nut for quality though

And my KAC sling swivel/castle nut setup kept spinning off, even with loctite.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
so to stake the castle nut you use a punch to shape the metal of the alignment plate, so that it fits in the notch on the forward part (away from the stock) of the castle nut?

sorry to sound like an idiot, i just wanted to make sure that is what you were saying.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
What's the best way to secure the lower prior to staking the castle nut? Given the impact involved and the distance from the magazine well, I'm leary of using a mag block to support it for this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Good point, thanks.  For some reason I forgot I would have a big aluminum tube sticking out the back of the lower during this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I just lay the gun on the floor and do it.  Jeez!
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't fully understand what's going on in the pic? AR newb!
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't fully understand what's going on in the pic? AR newb!

984 posts and you are a newb?
Must live in GD...

OK, here's what you are looking at:
Left to right in the picture:
Front edge of collapsible stock
Buffer tube threads are just visible before the castle nut
Castle nut has the big slot to the rear (left) and small slot to the front (right)
Lock plate sits between castle nut and receiver
Then to the right is the rear of the lower reciever
Now do you see where the lock plate metal has been hammered/flowed into the small slot on the castle nut?
THAT is the staking we are speaking of.

www.ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg

I think I get it. What's the point?

I have 1000 and some odd posts because I work at home :D
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I stake mine with two drops of blue Locktite.  One on the tube thread going into the receiver, and the other drop on the threads where the castle nut will make up.

That is all that is needed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I gotchya. thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I concur with Stickman's evaluation, if it's a weapon, stake it properly.

Randall's photo's and methods aretop shelf, takes only a few minutes to do right, and will last a lifetime. This would be the advice I would follow if I were you, it's solid stuff.

One thing I do, and I know it might be overkill, but I also make witness marks on all of my threaded unions, whether it's castle nuts, optics mounts, etc....just a little dab of paint will do you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#21]
See mine is a weapon, and my life depends on not launching a detent and spring in a rapid fire enviroment, I will be staking mine as soon as I replace my tele-stock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m looking for some further insight into the practice of staking the castle nut on a typical adjustable stock. It seems like a great idea, and I have already ground one of my punches in preparation to stake the one on my carbine, because it is a “weapon” and not a range toy. But then I got to thinking of the nature of threaded metal parts, and I started second-guessing the practice. At the moment, my castle-nut is secured to the receiver extension threads with some elbow grease and a little blue loctite. Let’s suppose that I properly stake the castle nut today, and tomorrow, I go to the range to do some serious rapid-fire. During the range session, the loctite bond fails, and had I not staked the castle nut, the entire stock would become unsecured. The problem I imagine is this: The reason that the stock assembly is still secure on the rifle after the range session is not for the same reason that it was secure before the range session. Is staking really so reliable that it doesn’t allow for any loosening of the thread/thread bond, or is the situation more of the nature that one might wind up with a stock assembly that is only secured by some minor displacement of metal, with an underlying threaded bond that is no longer as strong as it once was? Obviously, in the latter situation, it would be very difficult to re-torque the nut.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you stake in just one slot or two?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:46:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Mr_D - Do not over think this. Its real simply, tighten the castle nut as tight as you can and then stake it. After that, it's ain't going anywhere PERIOD.

JasonC - 2 slots
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I stake mine with two drops of blue Locktite.  One on the tube thread going into the receiver, and the other drop on the threads where the castle nut will make up.

What you are really saying is that you loctite the castle nut.
If you are not displacing metal, you are not staking.
Simple as that.

That's exactly what I am saying.  Just blue Locktite.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Just a note on staking.  I come from the automotive racing industry, and do a lot of staking (mostly on trans and drivelines) and here are a few guidelines...

1.  Always support the parts being staked directly opposite the strike face
2.  Use a staking punch or flat head screwdriver, never use a pointed chisel as it will form a hair-line crack in the metal.  
3.  On soft materials, such as Alum., I use a spring loaded center punch that has the tip grounded square, like a flat head screwdriver.  The spring loaded punch also leaves one free hand to hold the parts
4.  Use multiple light taps, not a single heavy blow!
5.  Remember this, the stake has to hold the parts in position, but not make it impossible to separate them in the future.

...by the way "AR15barrels", that's one finely executed stake in your pic Thanks, John
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#27]
what if you decide to replace your stock?

or the tube gets damaged?

how do you get it off?

do you have to replace the tube if it needs to come off

after staking?

i am a noob as far as staking goes.....

also more detailed pics of the ground chisle would be nice

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#30]
For the castle nut to come loose, and a detent and spring to be lost, for example, for the takedown pin, the castle nut would have to come loose and vibrate back about 3/4".  Blue locktite is not going to allow it to vibrate loose.  Even if the nut was not jammed tight against the endplate, the blue locktite will keep the nut from moving on its own.  It will have to be forced back with a wrench.

For the buffer retainer and spring to come out, the entire tube/stock assembly would have to back off about 1 1/2 - 2 full turns.  You would notice if the entire stock rotated.  Which it would have difficulty doing while on your shoulder and being fired.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Only real men have staked castle nuts. ....      BTW, I just staked the caslte nuts on my 2 ARs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I've had to split castle nuts with a dremil tool that had been staked at the fatory by far different means than the one shown. No way in heck was a wrench going to break those stakings. It must have been staked by a tool that looks and functions like a big bolt cutter / AK rivet squasher.

Now this method make far more sense.

efxguy
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Staking is easy to do and the castle nut is easy to remove in my experience.

Plus deforming a little metal helps you look at your new carbine as less of a safe queen from the start  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I removed the stakes from my Colt by dremeling the area just enough for it break loose.  It worked w/o damaging anything.  The plate and nut were replaced anyways.

Instead of factory staking the new nut/plate, I used red loctite and JB weld on the threads.  After that I spot welded the two pieces together, then just to be sure I drove in some shallow roll pins.  I did that prior to my last tour as a spacshuttle door gunner, that was six months ago and it hasn't come loose yet.  Ambient radiation and space debris can be hell on gun parts.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Mig and Tig weld it in place!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I probably should stake it, but I never seem to keep a stock on long enough to worry.  I always seem to be changing things.  Next thing on my list is a Vltor clubfoot.  At least I always have shoebox parts for my next build.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I removed the stakes from my Colt by dremeling the area just enough for it break loose.  It worked w/o damaging anything.  The plate and nut were replaced anyways.

Instead of factory staking the new nut/plate, I used red loctite and JB weld on the threads.  After that I spot welded the two pieces together, then just to be sure I drove in some shallow roll pins.  I did that prior to my last tour as a spacshuttle door gunner, that was six months ago and it hasn't come loose yet.  Ambient radiation and space debris can be hell on gun parts.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2007 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Take a good punch and re-grind the end of it to look like one corner of a big-ass flat-head screwdriver.
That's the profile you want.

Neither of my AR castle nusts are staked. What size punch do I need to buy
so I can grind it as described and properly stake mine?
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Loc-tite is not a substitution for staking, at least if you use a single point sling mount.

Learned that the hard way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Take a good punch and re-grind the end of it to look like one corner of a big-ass flat-head screwdriver.

BUMP because nobody answered the question.

Is there a specific staking tool for this?

Link Posted: 3/30/2007 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Stick,

I have a S&W that was factory staked but I had to take off the nut  when I put on a single point plate.

What I did was took a large screw driver and staked the new plate at a angle, it that correct?

Bri
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Wonders why A1 buffertubes stay on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I use bubblegum, it works just like teflon tape.

Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#45]
The castle nut is meant to be staked, so stake it.  The most stake heavy weapon I can think of is the M2HB.  After rebuilding one, staking all the screws made the armory sound like a blacksmith's .

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Wonders why A1 buffertubes stay on.

Because almost no torsion is applied to it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you are really saying is that you loctite the castle nut.
If you are not displacing metal, you are not staking.
Simple as that.

you are glueing not staking.
Link Posted: 3/31/2007 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

BUMP because nobody answered the question.

Is there a specific staking tool for this?

I wish one of you staking gurus would answer my dadblasted question about the staking tool.

[Dr.Evil] Throw me a frickin bone here![/Dr.Evil]

It looks like the punch is square shaped. Maybe 1/8" square?

Link Posted: 3/31/2007 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I haven't locktited my first build yet, just to make sure everything functions correctly. Is there  a guide or a write-up on how to properly stake castle nuts?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top