Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/31/2006 8:28:25 PM EDT
First, Let me say that I am VERY excited.  This is the nicest, most expensive, hopefully funnest firearm I own.  I am 24 years old, and recent college grad.  I've been interested in firearms since junior high.  I was raised around muzzle loaders and the such.  I've spent most of my time collecting what I can afford.  Mosin Nagant, 10/22, Kel-Tec, etc.  So, Uncle Sam decided to give me a rather large refund this year.  So, I got my check, and I went to my dad.  I said "You know, I think I should invest this money."  He immediatly asked what sort of gun i was going to buy.  I smiled, and said an AR.  So, I searched the internet and found this website.  I had originally planned on buying a prebuilt.  But, after reading people talk about how easy it was to build your own, I decided i'd give it a try.  I bought a Stag lower reciever at a gun show.  
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Ohioan_photos/IMG_0131.jpg

Next, I searched around on here for a good place to purchase a kit.  (I was definatly not ready to build from scratch)  I decided that JTdistributing would be a good place to buy from.  So, I looked through their catalogue, and decided that I would like to have one of their CMP uppers in a kit.  I called, asked if it was possbile, and asked some other noobish questions, which they were VERY friendly and answered no problems. 3 weeks, and two days ago, I mailed an order and money order for a CMP upper (1x8 stainless HBAR, NM sights, Freefloat forearm).  I called a few days later to make sure they had recieved my upper.  They had...  now all i had to do was wait for the money order to clear.  and wait.. and wait.. and wait..  (I don't like to wait).  I called last Monday asking about my order, and the nice lady said that the woman who took care of the orders was not going to be in all week, and they had no way of knowing  if the M/O had cleared.  I had to wait till Tuesday.  
So, yesterday, another nice lady called, and said that the kit was shipping that day.  I only live 3 hours north of JT, so I was hoping I would recieve it on Wednesday.  I had to do a bunch of stuff around the house on Weds.  The Big Brown Truck usually came in the afternoon/evening.  But they stop running at 7.  So, 7 came around, and I was depressed.  I'd have to wait another day...  I was sitting on the computer reading some stuff, and I hear something outside,  I look out the window, and low and behold! The Big Brown Truck!!!  (it was 7:45)  I already had everything set up to put the gun together.  So I cut the box open, and laid everything out.  

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Ohioan_photos/IMG_0132.jpg

And the LPK.  (notice the extra pivot pin detent and spring)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Ohioan_photos/IMG_0133.jpg

The Bolt catch detent spring was out of spec.  One end was larger than the others.  It prohibited the detent from being able to move.  I fixed it though.  Kinda was annoying though.  And took a lot of time to figure out if i had the right spring and blah blah.  

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Ohioan_photos/IMG_0135.jpg

and the finished product.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Ohioan_photos/IMG_0142.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Ohioan_photos/IMG_0138.jpg

Well, I think I'm going to invest in a lead weight for the buttstock.  It's really barrel heavy.  
The gun fit together pretty well.  It's very sturdy.  The upper fit the lower nicely.  It's tight, and the color matches pretty well.  I'm happy so far.  We'll see more tomorrow when I strip it, clean it, and then test fire it.

I have several types of ammo.  Wolf, WWB, m855, S&B, Remmington UMC.  I'm going to buy some Sierra Match King and some other match ammo.  

I think I'll buy a lighter profile upper at some point.

Link Posted: 5/31/2006 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah, what can I do to make the buttstock match the rifle...  (black)
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
how much did you put into your project here  ?
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
$115 for the Lower
$600 for the kit, shipped.
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, now you have the disease

Link Posted: 5/31/2006 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice Build  
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, what can I do to make the buttstock match the rifle...  (black)

A2 stocks (the real ones anyway) always start off grey like that. I use to hate it too but I've grown to like the look. If you don't like it, soak the stock a few times with CLP. A couple of heavy treatments will darken it right up.

Nice build BTW
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
thats a great looking build. Job well done congrats
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got plenty of CLP.  I'm going to soak it in some after i clean it.  
I usually let it soak in for a couple of hours.  Then rub it in.  (that's what i did to the lower reciever.  and I could tell a deffinant differance in texture and color of the lower)
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
nice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Well,  I shot it for the first time yesterday.  I shot 20 rounds from about 50m.  It put all 20 rounds into a circle about an 1" in diameter, about a foot low of the bullseye.  I need to do some adjusting on the sights.  First, I need to read up about the sights.  I have NM sights on my rifle...

[edit to add]  The trigger was really nice.  VERY little take up.  Maybe like 1/64"  And the release is very smooth.  I might add an eraser trigger stop.  But it was a really good trigger.  I was very impressed.  It's better than my 10/22 that I had modified.
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Your barrel my like Sierra 69 and 77 grain match bullets.  You should have a real hammer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey there, 20" SS buddy

looks great
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Bolt catch detent spring was out of spec. One end was larger than the others. It prohibited the detent from being able to move. I fixed it though. Kinda was annoying though. And took a lot of time to figure out if i had the right spring and blah blah..

those 2 springs, disconnector and bolt catch, are similar but the one that has the larger end is the disconnector spring.  the larger end starts first and is pushed in to the trigger to help hold it in place for the disconnector.

Nice looking rifle!! good job

Link Posted: 6/3/2006 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The rifle has NM sights.. and I'm not sure what the setting are on it.. it's not marked like the normal sights.  it has marks 0,5,10,15,20.  
Right now, I have "0" set as as my battle zero.   But I know it's not right if i moved out to 100yards.  

Anyone have any idea?  It's 1/4 MOA clicks.  

so far, the rifle shoots much better than I do.  If I shoot from a rest, it shoot one ragged hole with 5 shot groups.  

Then, after I had it sighted in, I started shooting freehand.....  yeah.. I need to practice.  

But, I'm happy...  I just need to get the sights figured out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top