Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 7:35:53 AM EDT

Got a fat chunk o change for the holiday.  I'm going to build a RRA flat top Carbine.  1st (of many) question.  What's the best general purpose twist rate?  Now before I get flamed for asking and not searching, this thread will eventually become a 'diary' of the build.  It'll be my first EBR and I have probably average mechanical aptitude.  Hopefully, with yawl's help, this thread will turn into a good illustration for other noobs as they come along to help them with their builds.  

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Dusty.

P.S. I know I have a high post count, FOAD

Specing as we go!

RRA lower
RRA Flat top upper
1:9 twist rate
6 pos collapsible stock
TD foregrip
EOtech (to be added later)
BUIS (not sure of brand yet)(primary till the EOtech pays for itself)
Surefire light.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
For what I do in my own little part of the world I prefer 1x9 twist, however my next build is going to be a bench gun so I'm leaning towards a 1x7 or 1x8 twist for heavier bullets..... I think for general purpose 1x9 would serve you well...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
For a twist you either want 1x7 or 1x9.... Either will get you by just fine.

If it's not going to be a match rifle, definatly get a chrome lined barrel. Sooo much easier to clean than anything else.

I'm not a an expert either, my first EBR will be done soon. Folks here have been a lot of help, and have learned alot :)

Are you going to assemble your own upper?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna buy the upper complete.  The school is out on the lower.  I wanna keep it cheap but all RRA. I may go with some Bushy stuff.  But the koolaide junk can stay way
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I'd read some on there.  I knew you needed a faster twist rate for a heavier round but didn't know they had that much info on that there.

Another question while I'm at it.  The 14.5 and 11.5 barrels I've seen with the long flash suppressors to get em to 16,  what range are they good for?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks, I'd read some on there.  I knew you needed a faster twist rate for a heavier round but didn't know they had that much info on that there.

Another question while I'm at it.  The 14.5 and 11.5 barrels I've seen with the long flash suppressors to get em to 16,  what range are they good for?

this is also stated there in the ammo-oracle

would have more to do with muzzle velocity
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered an RRA upper half, 16" midlength, 1 in 9 chrome-lined, myself .  her

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top