Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2005 9:20:57 AM EDT
I  have built and an AR15 recently and now want to step up to an AR10.
don't flame me too bad if I say something stupid.  this is my understanding of where I can get the parts that I would like to use.  

Lower reciever        Quantico         $275
trigger control         Rock River      $120
ARFX stock                                      $90
forearm/lockring.     Sniperx?       ~$300-350
barrell                      ?
upper rec.                 ?
upper rec. parts        ?
gas tube/FSB             ?
lower rec. parts          ?
buffer spring                  ?
bolt/carrier

I will mostly hunt with this rifle but I also want a tack driver.
would it just be better to buy and already assembled upper and customize it.
I have the black rifle disease.
Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably opt to buy the upper complete, the rest I'd do myself.  But again, this is coming from a guy who bought a complete AR10.  I just added the accessories and a new trigger!

Link Posted: 1/24/2005 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Great looking rifle.  

I might should of asked everyone, "What would you build or buy if you were me?".
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
What ranges (yardage) will you be hunting?  What's your game?
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Realistically, 50-250 but maybe longer just for fun.  It will be a coyote slash truck gun for the farm.  I have an area where I can have up to 600 or 700 yards.   I would not hunt at those distances but sometimes a "pest" might give you a long shot and nothing else.  I would mostly hunt with it and pop targets at 2-500 yds.  my thoughts are that I want to build a 308 or 243 rifle probably 20" FF and fluted  and then, later, get a similar setup UPPER in the 300RSAUM.

Right now I have a  16" AR15T.   For the long range stuff I use the 7mm mag in a Steyr that I enjoy quite a bit.

My thoughts are more toward a do it all rifle that I can hunt with, sit in the loft of the barn and look over 300 acres of property and take out predators in the pastures, and be able to practice on targets long range.

I am sure that I am showing my lack of knowledge on the subject but this is what I am interested in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Realistically, 50-250 but maybe longer just for fun.  It will be a coyote slash truck gun for the farm.  I have an area where I can have up to 600 or 700 yards.   I would not hunt at those distances but sometimes a "pest" might give you a long shot and nothing else.  I would mostly hunt with it and pop targets at 2-500 yds.  my thoughts are that I want to build a 308 or 243 rifle probably 20" FF and fluted  and then, later, get a similar setup UPPER in the 300RSAUM with a 24" barrell for the longer stuff.

Right now I have a  16" AR15T.   For the long range stuff I use the 7mm mag in a Steyr that I enjoy quite a bit.

My thoughts are more toward a do it all rifle that I can hunt with, sit in the loft of the barn and look over 300 acres of property and take out predators in the pastures, and be able to practice on targets long range.

I am sure that I am showing my lack of knowledge on the subject but this is what I am interested in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say an AR10A4 SPR (20") would be right up your alley!  Put a medium power scope on it and you're good to go!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top