Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 9:15:02 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I know you all get asked this all the time but here it goes.

I want to build a HUNTING rifle for coyotes. I don't need match quality but would like for it to be fairly accurate to around 300 yards. I want to build it in a 223 caliber. I am new to the whole AR thing and have beem snooping around this forum a little trying to become familiar with the different  equipment. I plan to build a hunting rifle and will be mounting a regular Bushnell scope on it so I will need it to except the mounts. I prefer a 18-20" barrel and would like for it to be a heavy barrel version but I am very much open to any ideas. I don't need the latest and greatest but looking more to build and average quality varmint rifle. I was hoping you guys could pint me in the right direction as far as what stuff to go with. I really have no idea on what I need or if it would be cheaper to buy a complete upper and complete lower or what. I have a budget of $500. Can I build a HUNTING for this? Also, who would be good vendors to deal with? I am looking for anyone willing to help a guy get started. You can email me directly at [email protected] if you like.

Thanks

Harley
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
500.00 is tough for the rifle, if you wanted the optic too ?

I would look at the E&E for used parts I dont see anyway to put one togther for 500.00 with out using some used stuff.

Check here fopr the hunting angle
Hunting forum on site

Check the feed back section in the E&E for retailers

In the industy section J&T has a a forum www.banedsr.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=40
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
hey thanks baddog. I already have the scope, I just need to build the rifle. So you don't think I can do just the rifle on a $500 budget? I am not looking to build a real tack driver, just a heavy barrel hunting rilfe. Can anyone tell me who has the chepest complete upper with bolt & barrel? What about the best place to get a complete lower? I would be interested in used parts so yell at me if anyone has any info for me. Thanks guys.

Harley
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Baddog with $500 being really tough. It can be done but it will take a lot of work and patience. Technically one of the cheapest uppers is Model 1 sales but if your search this site there are varying opinions about their quality. My advice would be to go to Adco (in the industry section) and look to see what he has. Steve (the owner) is great and will take the time to answer any of your questions. As for a more realistic price for an accurate complete rifle it will probably be more in the +$600 range. Expect to pay in the mid $400's for a complete upper and about $150-$300 for the lower (complete with stock & buffer). Building a rifle from parts can be cheaper but most of the time it isn't. Spend some time searching this site as well as the internet to get an idea about the prices. If you find a vendor you like come back here and do a search to see what people think of them. I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You can quite easily do an accurate and reliable HUNTING rifle from Model 1 Sales, with a Vulcan poly-fiber lower.  

A 20" complete kit is $415, and the Vulcan poly-fiber lower is $69, delivered.  Go ahead and get the chrome-moly barrel, as it is more accurate than the chrome lined.

My 16" heavy barrel carbine can hit a 1/2 man-sized target at 500 yards 3/4 times, with me behind it, and I am not a terrific rifleman.  My buddy, Russ can routinely hit 7/8, using cheap, Wolf ammo.

I think most of the people knocking Model 1 are generally people who haven't ordered from them lately, incapable or unwilling to do basic gunsmithing to make them right, or are internet geeks who don't actually DO anything, except to relay things "they have heard."  To be sure, your internal parts will be covered with oxide, from the finishing process and will need to be "slicked up" with oil and scotchbrite, or fine steel wool.

Have fun!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top