Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 9:30:09 PM EDT
Ok So I've narrowed my build down to a RRA upper using a Tasc upper/ versus a Std A 2 upper.
    My question is the Stand, A2 upper is the Wylde chamber which takes either the .223/ or 5.56 Nato.
     The Tasc upper 16 " Chrome Moly barrel uses the 223/556 Nato chamber. What's the difference
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=204825

The Wylde chamber is the same as the NATO chamber in the body. However, the leade angle and throat are shorter and tighter than the NATO but not as tight as the .223 Remington chamber. This allows a more accurate chamber that is also able to fire NATO and other mil surp ammo for good functioning.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=203970

From what I have learned here on ARFCOM, the Wylde chamber is a compromise between
the longer throated 5.56mm and the shorter-throated 223.

The Wylde chamber allows for you to shoot 223's more accurately than from a standard 5.56mm
chamber because the bullet travels a shorter distance before being "gripped" by the rifling.

The Wylde chamber allows you to shoot 5.56mm AND 223's. PLUS the 223's will shoot more accurately.

I like the theory behind the Wylde Chamber design.....

I hope that helps.....

edit
more

The military chamber is often referred to as a "5.56 NATO" chamber, as that is what is usually stamped on military barrels.  Some commercial AR manufacturers use the tighter ".223" (i.e., SAAMI-spec and often labeled ".223" or ".223 Remington") chamber, which provides for increased accuracy but, in self-loading rifles, less cycling reliability, especially with hot-loaded military ammo.  A few AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber.  Many mis-mark their barrels too, which further complicates things.  You can generally tell what sort of chamber you are dealing with by the markings, if any, on the barrel, but always check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Rock River Arms uses the Wylde chamber specs on most rifles, and does not mark their barrels.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top