BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2004 5:23:46 PM EDT
Brownells GunKote is this the same stuff as John Norrells moly-resin ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No, Norrells stuff is better; In my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are threads that will explain all about how to use Norrells Moly Resin.
www.mgtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4113

www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm

Quite a few people have followed the link and had great results.  Here are a few pictures of weapons I've done using those steps.....

This is a gray upper & lower receiver with carry handle, and SOCOM (matte black) finish for the rest of the weapon.

This is all SOCOM

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info i use norrells just was wondering if gunkote was the same stuff.
Norrells is awsome just refinished my 9mm upper and lower and 8 mags
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been told that GunKote is less forgiving in its application, I can't verify this but figure I will pass it along for whatever its worth.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on Norrells.  Matched my Colt upper almost 100%.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a bad experiance w/gunkote. I followed all the directions and it still came out looking like crap! I will say to be fair though that it was my first attempt at re-finishing. Now I use Krylon and prep the metal TO AN EXTREME AMOUNT. I degrease w/gunscrubber, then wash with dish washing detergent and HOT water. I use rubber gloves through the whole process. So far so good. NICE results!Take care.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I used the Moly resin to refinish the slide on my Glock, very easy to use.  Follow the directions on Stickmans link and you will be happy.  I have not tried it on plastic so I dont know how well it will stick.  The directions on Norrells site say it sticks well to SOME plastics.

IAFF 2164
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#8]
firehawk-356,

It makes my little heart happy to hear people having good results, thankyou for posting that info!

As far as plastics, the Norrells should hold well to most, but the cheaper plastics with lower melting temps may be a concern.  Things like handguards and buttstocks should not be a problem at all.  Shiny smooth plastics would be a concern to me, but I confess I havn't had a reason to spray any cheap smooth plastics.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had a bad experiance w/gunkote. I followed all the directions and it still came out looking like crap! I will say to be fair though that it was my first attempt at re-finishing. Now I use Krylon and prep the metal TO AN EXTREME AMOUNT. I degrease w/gunscrubber, then wash with dish washing detergent and HOT water. I use rubber gloves through the whole process. So far so good. NICE results!Take care.

You are not the first person to have those results, check out the Norrells and you won't be disappointed.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It makes my little heart happy to hear people having good results, thankyou for posting that info!

I used your guide when I did mine as well.  Turned out excellent!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
stickman, please repost your how to.....

also, do they sell it in a can instead of airbrush?

do you have to bake the finish?

even the plastic?

will oil or solvents take it off?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the things that impressed me is how little of the Moly resin you use, I forget what size I bought but it was $20 some dollars.  You could very easily spray an entire AR with this amount.  I just wish I had the huevos to spray my AR.  Does anyone have pics of an OD AR?  I thought of just spraying my barrel, upper and lower and leave the handguards and stock black.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just wish I had the huevos to spray my AR.  Does anyone have pics of an OD AR?  

I'm getting ready to do one for a friend.  I'm debating if I am going to make it two tone with two different variants of OD green, or if it will just be all one color OD green.

Give me another week, I have to do actual work, which seriously cuts into my quality AR15 time!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
stickman, please repost your how to.....

also, do they sell it in a can instead of airbrush?

do you have to bake the finish?

even the plastic?

will oil or solvents take it off?

primary site
www.mgtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4113

secondary site

No, its only available for airbrush (use the cheapo $15 version)

Yes, the finish is thermal cured, which means to baking means no curing.

Affirm, but bake the plastic at 250 instead fo 300.

No, solvents don't touch it, not even when left on the finish.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
So what color would more accurately match the early M16-A1/AR-15 from Vietnam?  I see the picture of the first rifle and it was done in gray, which looks too dark for the pictures I have seen.  What's the difference in color between the gray and grayish-black flat?  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong M16 pictures, but it seems to me like both those colors would be too dark.  

Kevhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Taken from the molyresin.com webpage...

GRAYISH-BLACK Flat
Dark gray-black coloration with a flat appearance. This duplicates the appearance of the early original Colt AR-15/M-16 finish. This is the same product that is purchased from us by the U.S. Military to refinish Colt M-16's.

molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Stickman,  you say to bake the plastic at 250 instead of 300.  Is this still for 1 hour or do you increase the time.  I have decided to try to spray my faux M-4 stock and handguards to play around with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Bake it at 250 for 90 minutes, instead of the usual 300 for 60 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like that glocksunlocked website is no longer available.

Here's what I get when I try to click the link....
"glocksunlocked.com has ceased operation, effective at 2200 GMT, 15-Oct-2004"

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]

GU was shut down, but the links are getting put up on other sites as interest spreads,  Try the above for a copy of the original version.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I took your advise stickman and ordered from norrel,my only problem is it has been 2 weeks since I ordered and I still have not received my order.I have emailed them 5 times and have still not got an answer back on the status of my order.How long did it take for you to receive yours?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#22]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I took your advise stickman and ordered from norrel,my only problem is it has been 2 weeks since I ordered and I still have not received my order.I have emailed them 5 times and have still not got an answer back on the status of my order.How long did it take for you to receive yours?

It takes awhile, for some reason it always takes about 2 weeks or so.

On a brighter note, waiting for it to arrive is the hardest part!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#24]

This is just SEXY.

It's got me thinking that I need to refinish my M4gery to make it all one color... hmmmmm....  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm waiting on my order too...I ordered 8 ounces of the SOCOM Flat Black to try out on one of my ARs. Though I only ordered mine on the 13th, I think I still have some time to gather up the rest of my needed items to complete the refinishing project.
[
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's a quick question for ya.....if you follow the directions found on the net about refinishing ARs and you do some or most of the finishing with the major portions of the rifle still assembled, doesn't heating the rifle to those temperatures for that duration of time adversely affect the small springs that are left in place?

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Well here's my A1 done up in gray-black.This is my first AR and I put her together myself.

http://members.cox.net/cmiller000/Copy-of-DSCF0659.jpg
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Tread,

That looks very good.  

What finish did you use?  

How did you apply it?  

Had you done refinishing before?

Thanks, and good job!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Tread,

That looks very good.  

What finish did you use?  

How did you apply it?  

Had you done refinishing before?

Thanks, and good job!!

Stickman I have you to thank for that finish,it is norrells flat gray-black and I followed your directions and she came out great.I've never built an AR before (or owned one) and I've never tryed to refinish anything,I could not believe how easy it was to do. Thanks for the info and how-to guide I owe you a beer or six if you are ever in the Cleveland area.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll take you up on that if I ever get out that way.  If you get the chance, post or drop me a line with comments regarding the refinishing thread.  I have redone a few pictures, but I am very interested in knowing what sections need better explaining, or better pictures.  A critique from you, or from others would be helpful in getting the 2nd generation thread up to date and even better.  Your opinion is more valid than mine, because you hadn't worked with this stuff before.

I'll be building a Mega based M4, and doing the entire thing OD green.  I am debating doing a page similar to the refinishing thread, except showing the entire build as well as the refinish.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#31]
that would be great as I intend to refinish an AR in OD. Thanks. Good write up too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Stickman I found your guide very easy to follow and not lacking in any way,the only thing I did different was I kept the hair dryer going on other parts while I sprayed the one already heated,that way I didn't have to worry about stopping and having the material in the airbrush seperate.I also filled 2 other airbrush bottles with the warmed and shaken material and then just had to give them a quick shake before screwing them on the brush.

Also it helps to place the canned air in a pan of warm water while you are spraying,it keeps the pressure the same no matter how long you spray.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Good stuff, thankyou.  I tend to leave the Norrells bottle in a pan of hot water while I work, and shake every time I refill.  I like the other ideas, but I'm not sure how you keep the hairdryer goin on parts while you are spraying.  Do you leave it on blowing hot air onto the next part you are going to spray?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I find if you heat the moly resin AND preheat the part to 300*F, the moly drys as soon as the droplets hit, and it results in a fuzzy finish that rubs off.  Underneath is a semigloss finish.  

I preheated to 170*F as that is as low as my oven will go.  By the time I took the parts outside, I am sure they were down to 130*-140*.  This worked out well.

Tallfighter said Here's a quick question for ya.....if you follow the directions found on the net about refinishing ARs and you do some or most of the finishing with the major portions of the rifle still assembled, doesn't heating the rifle to those temperatures for that duration of time adversely affect the small springs that are left in place?

No problem.  Only 300*F.  That is not hot enough to hurt anything.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep I just lay it on it's side and put the next piece in front of it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Great stuff, a new page has been made up, and both of your input has gone into it (with due credit given of course)!

The new link I'll be posting for people is shown below.  It is a fairly new site (opened this month), but has some familiar faces.  Check it out, join up, post what you like, I think it is going to be a good board for MG and other talk.

www.mgtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4113&st=0&#entry32314
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#37]
 Tag, good info in here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Stickman,I noticed you don't have a picture of the assembled,completed rifle in that thread.You have the before so maybe a side by side comparison of the 2 pics would really show what this stuff can do,just a thought.

BTW thanks for the kind words on my build,makes a rookie feel good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#39]
The hard part for me is getting a full pic of a 20" AR15 that shows the level of detail that I want, but is in a decent size pic.  I need to get out and work on it, as well as find a new background.....  I agree that it needs a "after" pic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Can I coat the internal parts also, ie. Bolt/carrier, lower parts. Would the parts be too tight or the finish come of the moving parts.

Sorry if this is a dumb question
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Ranger,

Its not a dumb question at all, the answer is that you can.  I wouldn't do the bolt and BC, but I have done the internals/ FCG several times (including about 5 minutes ago).  I don't think it would cause a problem with your bolt and BC, but I can't see a gain in doing them either. To be honest, it would probably just wear away off the high wear areas.

Norrells Moly Resin website states that it can be applied to the internals, and I have done it to 1911 slide and frame rails several times.  Just make sure you treat it like a new weapon and break it in before you rely on it to protect yourself.  The parts will need a few rounds to loosen up their new tolerances.

Check out the link, it should answer most questions.  Email, PM or reply here if you have any questions at all.

www.mgtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4113&st=0&#entry32314
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
that would be great as I intend to refinish an AR in OD. Thanks. Good write up too.

Ok, I just refinished it in OD.  I need to bake/ cure it, then I'll get some pics up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I followed Stickman's original Refinishing thread, and did these:

This is for one of my shooting buddies, a good friend and deputy (DARE officer and firearms inst).  It had a gray Essential Arms lower and black A1 upper.  Previous owner had spraypainted it, no disassembly or degreasing, just sprayed.  So, at the same time we were doing this, we changed to a flattop, one of the LAR Grizzly "blemished" uppers.  I did the barrel under the handguard black, and the exposed portion OD.  The delta ring was plastic, so we are waiting on a real one coming probably tomorrow:

This is just to show how well the OD matches up with Armalite furniture:

And this is another upper I did mounted on a Cavalry Arms OD Mk II lower:

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#44]
To show how the Norrell's black matches current black anodizing, this is the old previously spraypainted A1 upper from the deputy's rifle, now refinished with Norrell's Flat Black (Socom).  It is sitting on a new DPMS lower, perfect match:

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's my completed refinishing project....let me know what yall think.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks great!

Did you paint the plastic, too?

Any problem with adhesion to the plastic?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I just finished the M17 this weekend with moly resin grayish black. Im loving this product!

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Looks great!

Did you paint the plastic, too?

Any problem with adhesion to the plastic?

I'm baking a set of M4 handguards OD Green as we speak.....or write...or whatever this is.....I'll post the results in a little bit, and get pics up tonight if I can.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Most handguards have a nicely textured finish that should hold paint well, but I worry about smoother plastic, such as CAR buttstocks.  On the other hand, you can get quite a range of colors from Cav Arms.

Stickman, JohnnyMc's grayblack M17 looks quite a bit lighter than the grayblack on some of your and Tread1's photos.  Is Johnny's photo pretty representative of the true color of this gray?  Johnny's looks more like the color of gray USGI mags.

I really can't tell the difference, in the photos, of Tread1's and Stick's gray black from the Norrell's Flat Black (socom).
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Curing temps on the moly resin might affect color. I preheated to 100 then lightly coated, then baked at 300 degress for one hour. Then reheated to 100, painted with a little thicker coat and baked at 315 degress for 1 hour. I was also sure to shake the bottle good before pouring it into my airbush bottle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top