tag
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I LOVE YOU FALARAK
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!!  This gives me hoep that I can really put one of these guys together.  Great photos.
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Good Job!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Great Job.
Link Posted: 11/27/2004 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent Job !

I was a little unclear about the barral threading up to the buffer stop pin but now I am fine.

I did my first two stage RRA NM trigger not to long ago and it was easy..

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2004 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice pics...

A real help to those that have not completely assembled a lower before.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#9]
this needs to be tacked up top
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a great thread, I used it to assemble my Grizzly lower last night.

HOWEVER......I screwed something up.

I printed out the BIG PIX of all the parts, hung it up on my bulletin board, and started to put things together.  Everything went GREAT until it came time to install the rear pushpin spring.  The spring I had wouldn't fit in the hole.  I tried it a few times, lubed it, still wouldn't fit.  SO....I went to the tool box, and grabbed a drill bit.  I ended up drilling the hole out, so that the spring would fit.

THEN, while playing with the hand grip, I noticed that the safety spring that I used was actually the push pin spring, and vice versa.  So, I reversed them.

So, my problem is that I have a larger than spec hole for the rear pushpin lock spring due to my inattention to detail.  I don't think this will cause any problems, but.....

I'm sure SOMEONE out there can point something out.

Thanks again for a great post

Hope THIS helps someone from making my dumb mistake!
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is a great thread, I used it to assemble my Grizzly lower last night.

HOWEVER......I screwed something up.

I printed out the BIG PIX of all the parts, hung it up on my bulletin board, and started to put things together.  Everything went GREAT until it came time to install the rear pushpin spring.  The spring I had wouldn't fit in the hole.  I tried it a few times, lubed it, still wouldn't fit.  SO....I went to the tool box, and grabbed a drill bit.  I ended up drilling the hole out, so that the spring would fit.

THEN, while playing with the hand grip, I noticed that the safety spring that I used was actually the push pin spring, and vice versa.  So, I reversed them.

So, my problem is that I have a larger than spec hole for the rear pushpin lock spring due to my inattention to detail.  I don't think this will cause any problems, but.....

I'm sure SOMEONE out there can point something out.

Thanks again for a great post

Hope THIS helps someone from making my dumb mistake!

Yikes!  Yeah.... dont drill your lowers!!!  

Seriously, I doubt you have hurt anything.  The rear takedown spring/detent just needs a little pressure to hold the takedown pin in place.... and by having a larger than spec hole back there, most likely wont hurt a thing.  once assembled, you will never even know it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Yikes!  Yeah.... dont drill your lowers!!!  

Seriously, I doubt you have hurt anything.  The rear takedown spring/detent just needs a little pressure to hold the takedown pin in place.... and by having a larger than spec hole back there, most likely wont hurt a thing.  once assembled, you will never even know it.

There is spring pressure there, so I think I'm okay.  

I WILL NOT DRILL ON A LOWER EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Thanks for all the great info!
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I used these step by step instructions to build a lower this morning and it took me all of about 45 minutes to do it.  No scratches, nicks, or marks on my lower.  I couldn't have done it with out this post.

Thanks again for a great post, it was a big help,
MadDog
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Excellent guide.  Only difficult part was the bolt catch, which seems to require 3-4 hands.

Since this was my first stripped lower, I would like to point out the "excitement factor", and it's effects.  Three days after the last torque of the collapsible stock nut, I noticed that I didn't perfectly align the stock with the rest of the reciever.  It is slightly off-line and is going to bother me for days until I have the time to correct it.  I knew I shouldn't have put loctite on it for a few days until I confirmed all was correct!  Hopefully the blue loctite will break easily enough.

Thanks for the guide!  Great pictures.
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Another HUGE thanks!  I completed my Mega lower the other night thanks to this post.  I probably wouldn't have ordered a stripped lower without reading these instructions months ago.  It seemed easier than I had thought and it was.  I would recommend everyone to build at least one.  I learned a lot and plan to build several more.
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I used this guide to make assemble my first AR with a JT kit and a bushy lower.  This guide is excellent, and using a vice, I had no problems whatsoever.  The only tool I had to purchase was a stock wrench.  BTW, I used a chopstick through the front pivot holes to hold the front pivot pin spring and detente in place while pushing in the pivot pin from the opposite side- I found it easier to manage than just trying to cram the pin in while holding the spring/detente in place.

Thanks for posting the instructions!!  

TACK IT TACK IT TACK IT!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Hrm..Okay, I took the collapsible stock off to straighten it, and found the little "ring" thingy has a tit in the bottom that slides in a groove in the buffer tube and is supposed to keep the stock straight...?

And I also found a nice mashed set of threads near said tit where I apparently overtorqued and squashed some of the threads on the tube.

Is there a special method to tightening the stock nut to keep this from happening?  Was I overtightening, or is there a special method to keep the stock and receiver in the same relative position while tightening?

It's pretty close to straight now, and I didn't tighten it so much.  I put some blue loctite on it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
That happens.  A lot.  Lots of used stocks I see have messed up threads.  The tube is aluminum, and its soft.... and easy to get mis-indexed.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#19]
btt
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Just bilt my first lower using your instructions, and everything went togather smothly. Just wanted to say thanks for the big help and a great guild you have made.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#22]
thxhug.gif
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#23]
One suggestion, the most difficult part to assemble is oddly the trigger guard roll pin. It's best to use a small vice to press the pin in instead of driving it in. It's real easy to break an ear off the lower receiver, especially if it's not properly supported. By using a small vise or even a little c-clamp to push the pin in, the chance of breakage is reduced.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
One suggestion, the most difficult part to assemble is oddly the trigger guard roll pin. It's best to use a small vice to press the pin in instead of driving it in. It's real easy to break an ear off the lower receiver, especially if it's not properly supported. By using a small vise or even a little c-clamp to push the pin in, the chance of breakage is reduced.

This was covered on page two... an alternate method using tape coated vise-grips to press it in.  A vise or C-clamp could work as well.  I still support the ears and tap mine in with my brass hammer, never had an issue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I just put my first lower together in about an hour using nothing but FALARAK's instructions and a few assorted punches!  WOAH that was easy!!!

I've put together a few uppers, so I was comfortable with this, but it was my first lower.

THANK YOU for taking the time!

I do wanna add my thoughts and observations if I may....

First off, FALARAK mentioned the roll pin starter set as a "maybe".  Well, I say it's a DREAM COME TRUE!  I got my $20 set from ADCO because I was having a hard time installing gas tube pins.  I'd use the needle nose pliers, but I kept bending the roll pins and scratching up stuff.  It never even occurred to me that these would be useful here.  With these babies, I didn't need the needlenose and vice grips with rubber on the  ends.  I just put the roll pin in the hole in the end of this awesome punch and PUSHED the pin most of the way in by HAND!  Then I used a brass punch to PUSH it the rest of the way in.  NO HAMMER, NO TAPE, NO SCRATCHES!  If you're gonna do this more than once, GET THESE THINGS!

A couple small things on the instructions:

I couldn't tell the difference between the spring for my mag catch plunger and the trigger assembly spring.  Since you show your trigger assembly already together, I couldn't tell how your two were different.  My two APPEARED almost identical.  One end of one spring was larger than the rest of it.  I tried counting coils etc. but in the end, I just guessed.  By pushing the larger end into the trigger mechanism, it didn't fall out while I was fooling with the trigger.

The only other minor detail were the trigger and hammer pins.  They have the offset grooves, closer on one side than the other, and you didn't mention which side went in first or which side the grooves should be closer to.  Well, I THINK it looks like it didn't matter, but I wasted 20 minutes reading through here trying to find out if it did.

All in all, GREAT instructions.  THANKS AGAIN!
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you very much for putting the time together to create these instructions with real pictures.  Just finished putting my first lower together, LAR Grizzly, and it went pretty good.  The roll pin punches may not have been necessary but they made the process a lot smoother.  But all in all it went well because I have a new lower with no scratches on it, thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread helps so much, they should bulletin it at the top of the foum liek the other ones with red tacks ive at least read this thread 6 or 7 times, just for the good photos and clear instructions.  A+++
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This thread helps so much, they should bulletin it at the top of the foum liek the other ones with red tacks ive at least read this thread 6 or 7 times, just for the good photos and clear instructions.  A+++

This thread, and all my BIY threads, are tacked to the top of the "Build it Yourself" forum...... in one post that links to all the others.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=202467
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm gonna bump this one up, though already tacked, and say thank you, Falarak.  I just finished assembling my Stag lower and attaching a new-to-me A2 buttstock.  The information and photos herein were indispensible for this newbie.

Now, all I need to do is make it to the gunshow this weekend and see if any decent uppers are available.

And, I need to see about picking up another lower from Henry so I can build up my next AR, this time using a magpul 93 stock.

I'm going to have a lot of fun tying money up in shooters!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread, and all my BIY threads, are tacked to the top of the "Build it Yourself" forum...... in one post that links to all the others.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=202467

Thanks very much bro i appreciate it. looking forward to my first ar build ill have pics up soon =),
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you!

Being pretty much retarded with all things involving tools, I was fairly nervous when I set out to build my own lower for the first time last night.  Thankfully, I had printed out a copy of these directions and read them over 2-3 times before getting started.

BAM!  Less than one hour later, a Stag lower with DPMS parts kit (supplemented with a RRA 9mm hammer) and 4-pos stock (w/ 9mm buffer, of course) and the bitch is ready to rock!  (Those pin punches were worth every penny....)

Can't begin to fathom how much I learned... and now I want to do another one!

You sir, get a cold beer from me any day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Great info!!!  Thank you.  

Built 3 lowers tonight refering to this thread.  Took about 2 hours for all three.  Used duct tape (my favorite) to protect the lower while driving the pins.

When you come down to it, they are simple to build hock.gif
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Mad props to falarak.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Falarak, Ya did good. I've saved about $50 so far. THANKS!  to you and everyone else!
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been away for a while, good to see the fun still continues on AR15.com. Great lower build instructions.  Gives me courage to finally build up my PWA lower. I have a new RRA DCM free float upper and I figured I would just swap it onto my Hesse Dispatcher lower. But I think I can build this lower now. Unfortunately my lower parts kit has been knocking around in a plastic bag for years. I am missing 1 hammer/trigger pin and 1 pivot/takedown detent. Does anyone have a good opinion of a place to buy these parts? Don't want to buy another complete lower parts kit if I don't have to. On another topic, can you just buy lowers mailorder?  Don't you need to fill out the form and wait the 24 hours just like any other long gun? Thanks for your help.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Just want  to say thanks.  I just built my first AR and it turned out great.

John Lauer LEO Lower receiver
RRA LPK with 6 position stock
DPMS M4 upper.

Turned out great.

Thanks!
AKsteve
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#39]

A trick that I use wen assembling lowers to get the bolt catch roll pin to stay in place while tapping it in is:

Use leg of hammer spring to come up the backside, THROUGH the inside of the roll pin. This will keep the roll pin indexed to the hole correctly and allow you to easily tap the roll pin without having to worry about the roll pin getting away or holding using a pair of pliers.

mark
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#40]
moo
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top