Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2002 5:07:54 AM EDT
The people that have done this sucessfully, and the ones that gave up--let's here from you--how did you do it, what problems did you run into?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah and i would like to know too....Cause they just look DAMN COOL!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Form-1 a "Pre-Ban" (can have all goodies) as SBR, then you are free to have and not have a stock as you desire from 1 day to the next. No weight limits, is still registered as a rifle, but sure looks like a pistol today.

You can use a "Post-Ban", just cannot have the goodies.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone make an aluminum "SWISS CHEESE" lower & sucessfully get under 50oz?  Anyone use HESSE carbon fiber uppers & lowers for an <50oz pistol?
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
SBR7-11, so what you're saying is...any PRE BAN combo(lower/upper)can have any configuration of "goodies"...handguard, flash hider,7" bbl, etc., etc.?

so all one needs is pre ban parts to slap one together and that's it?
are there restrictions from state to state?
how about FLORIDA or CONNECTICUT?
do you know of any place selling pre uppers/lowers for these pistols?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If I ever save-up enough money to buy the lower and the barrel, I've got a plan that should end in success.  It's to buy the 80% lower and turn it into a 22LR pistol.  The lower is much easier to finish as a 22LR, because you don't need the buffer tube or bolt stop.  I'd also use an offset pin (I think that is what it's called) for the takedown and pivot pins so I wouldn't have to drill the small holes for the springs.  I've added-up all of the weights, and I'm 99% sure I can make it meet the 50 oz weight limit.  The lower would be about 15 ounces, and that leaves 35 for the upper.  Worst case, I could cut the barrel down shorter or find an A1 upper.  The 22LR bolt is also much lighter.  I'd like to have a 223 pistol, but when you add-up the weights, it just isn't possible without resorting to nonstandard components.

I just wish I could find more of the $25 demilled barrels.  I regret not buying them when m_durandal on ebay had a bunch for sale.z
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SBR7-11, so what you're saying is...any PRE BAN combo(lower/upper)can have any configuration of "goodies"...handguard, flash hider,7" bbl, etc., etc.?

so all one needs is pre ban parts to slap one together and that's it?
are there restrictions from state to state?
how about FLORIDA or CONNECTICUT?
do you know of any place selling pre uppers/lowers for these pistols?

thanks

You will NEVER find a Preban pistol lower, The only ones I know of are the Rocky Mtn Arms patriot pistol and the OA93.

Both of which are VERY rare Ive never seen just a lower for sale, and each one of these Preban Pistols will run you upwards of $1500
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I just built an ar15 pistol using hesse polymer upper and lower.  It is 58 oz!  I am shaving off a couple of ounces by getting rid of the front sight and muzzle break.  I ordered a demilled barrel and am going to try and make the weight requirement with that.  I was also thinking of cutting an inch or so off of the barrel that I already have.  I have never tried anything like that.  Could I just use a hacksaw or should I get a gunsmith to do it? Will cutting it myself effect accuracy?
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow!  58ozs.  I was wondering how that'd be using the Hesse stuff.  You can cut your own barrel, but it can affect accuracy.  You need to cut it square with the bore--a lathe is ideal, and you need to "crown" the muzzle, and make sure there are no burrs where the bullet exits the muzzle.  I've done this myself, and the results were mediocre.  It is definately worth paying a gunsmith to do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
fq1234 wrote:

I ordered a demilled barrel

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the barrel?  I regret not buying one from m_durandal on ebay when he had a bunch for sale.z
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Form-1 a "Pre-Ban" (can have all goodies) as SBR, then you are free to have and not have a stock as you desire from 1 day to the next.

How can you not have a stock?  How do you meet the requirement to be fired from shoulder?  An SBR better have a stock or it is not an SBR.

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Find and buy a pre-ban AR15 pistol.

Talk an AR15 lower manufacturer into serializing and identifying a lower as an AR15  pistol lower.
It would still need to come under the 50 oz rule OR have a fixed magazine.

Make a pistol from an 80% casting or forging.
Still needs to meet the 50 oz weight rule or have a fixed magazine.

Make an AOW, any length barrel, no stock, forward pistol grip.

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Pre-ban is the only way to go.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=144952&w=activePop

THISISME
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just built an ar15 pistol using hesse polymer upper and lower.  It is 58 oz!  I am shaving off a couple of ounces by getting rid of the front sight and muzzle break.  I ordered a demilled barrel and am going to try and make the weight requirement with that.  I was also thinking of cutting an inch or so off of the barrel that I already have.  I have never tried anything like that.  Could I just use a hacksaw or should I get a gunsmith to do it? Will cutting it myself effect accuracy?

Wait...did you use a comercially avail "pistol" barrel?  If so, they are known to be thick... you can mill them thinner...

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Please post some plans or something, especially for the cutdown bolt(bufferless) system. A friend of mine is gonna make some Carbon Fiber lower recievers at his work, im gonna ASSIST in the MANUFACTURE of my SHARE of MY receivers. See other post.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I cut the barrel down to about 6" and grinded off the front sight and bayonet lug.  It is now 52.8 ounces.  I gave up on this barrel.  It is an HBar.  I am going to try using a light weight 16 barrel and cutting it off 1/2 or 1" infront of the gas block.  I think this will shave a few inches and I will have a couple extar inches of barrel lenght.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top