Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2002 3:59:10 PM EDT
Want to build a lightweight AR for my wife. My initial thoughts are a flat top upper w/o forward assist, lightweight 16-18" bbl, full length Firsh type handguard, ARMS #40 rear sight, something like a PRI folding frt sight or maybe a fixed frt, lightweight stock (A1 or shorter).

I see questions asked often on building a lightweight AR. Maybe we can compile a living list of quality parts and their weights and have it posted or kept somewhere so we can have a reference.

I'll start it out:

Uppers: Les Baer (4 ozs), Hesse Kevlar (3.9 ozs), others?

Lowers: Hesse kevlar (?), others?

Barrels: ?

Handguards: Oly Firsh (?), others?

Stocks: Ace ARFX (10.44 ozs), ARBT (?), others?
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If all you want to do is shave off pounds...why don't you look at the Carbon 15 made by Pro-ord? You can see them on gunbroker, auction arms and Guns America....with a price range of 650-1,000 depending on the model. I had heard that the earlier versions had some issues...but the new mods have all the bugs worked out. These suckers are like toys...about five pounds unloaded.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look at cavalry arms lower stock combo,
a jp products light weigth (aluminum) bolt and carrier,barrel and fore end. If you did not like there free float assy, I would go with
one of the carbon fiber assy. That should be under 5 pounds.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch the les baer lowers heard they are not mill spec. Check it out before you buy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Model 1 Sales has pencil barreled 16" uppers in both pre and post ban configuration. I have a preban flat top like this and it is so light you can shoot it with one hand. The post ban is even lighter because no flash hider and no bayo lug. In fact I wish I'd bought the post ban instead. I bought mine from them at a gunshow for $285. It is my favorite rifle now.

Pic of mine are at:  http://photos.yahoo.com/garymac66
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
How much weight difference is there between the 16" pencil barrel & the 20"?  I'm torn between the Bushmaster 16" superlightweight, the original 20" A1 pencil barrel & possibly a 16" Dissipater turned down to A1 diameter.  I have a M16 slickside upper (no FA) & figure I might as well go for the lightweight option.  I'm partial to the triangle handguards & if I go for the 16" ultralight I'll have to spend extra $$$ for the cutdown triangular rear handguard cap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The lower is the Cav-15 composite lower from Cavalry Arms, Mesa AZ. The upper components are from Model-1 sales in ILL. Both of these components have already been mentioned in this thread. The upper is a 16" moly pencil barrel with the CAR hand guards. My goal was to make a super lightweight 16" A2 and I think I reached my goal and for a reasonable cost compared to a Bushy pencil upper. I estimate the gun to be easily under 6lbs dry. As mentioned you can easily mount and hold the rifle with one hand. I wont put any optics on it unless I can find a ACOG or decent holosight to mount on a A2 cantilever mount (so the 1x sight is inline with the iron sights). The gun is intended to be a brush or "carry all-day" gun for Wild Hogs.
Cost:
Lower unit: $200
Upper assembled: $285
B,C&CH: $100
TOTAL=$585
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How much weight difference is there between the 16" pencil barrel & the 20"?  I'm torn between the Bushmaster 16" superlightweight, the original 20" A1 pencil barrel & possibly a 16" Dissipater turned down to A1 diameter.  I have a M16 slickside upper (no FA) & figure I might as well go for the lightweight option.  I'm partial to the triangle handguards & if I go for the 16" ultralight I'll have to spend extra $$$ for the cutdown triangular rear handguard cap.

I just picked up an original Colt SP1 upper which has a thin 20" barrel and triangle forestocks. The triangle stocks are noticeably heavier than the round stocks. The SP1 has a slab sided A1 upper, no FA or shell deflector  but it is still heavier with the 20" bbl than the 16" CAR pencil barrel upper I have.

I am tempted to put the 16" CAR barrel on the SP1 upper, On my preban, CAR stocked lower it really would be a slick, light little carbine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you consider the Pantherlite 16? Al sells them for 635.00 and its weighs only 5.75 dry
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If all you want to do is shave off pounds...why don't you look at the Carbon 15 made by Pro-ord? You can see them on gunbroker, auction arms and Guns America....with a price range of 650-1,000 depending on the model. I had heard that the earlier versions had some issues...but the new mods have all the bugs worked out. These suckers are like toys...about five pounds unloaded.

Pro-Ord just declared bankruptcy...

Just something to think about
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Have you consider the Pantherlite 16? Al sells them for 635.00 and its weighs only 5.75 dry

Olympic Arms has a FAR-15 that is under 5 lb., without using polymers and plastics.  Forged upper/lower etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just picked up an original Colt SP1 upper which has a thin 20" barrel and triangle forestocks. The triangle stocks are noticeably heavier than the round stocks. The SP1 has a slab sided A1 upper, no FA or shell deflector  but it is still heavier with the 20" bbl than the 16" CAR pencil barrel upper I have.

I am tempted to put the 16" CAR barrel on the SP1 upper, On my preban, CAR stocked lower it really would be a slick, light little carbine.

I wonder why the triangle guards are that much heavier than the round guards?  Thicker plastic or more hear shielding?  I'm seriously tempted to go with the CAR 16" but since I'll be putting together a post-ban I might go for a plain muzzle barrel & have it turned down to CAR specs.  Don't particularly want or need a muzzle brake to increase noise & add weight.  My project won't be as light as it could be because I plan on using an early M16 buttstock (non trapdoor).  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've had one of Pro-Ord's POS's... stay waaay away from them, even if you see a smokin' deal on one at a show.  I wouldn't buy another if I found it NIB for $200.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]

I am on my second Pro Ord and this one is definitaly better than the first.  I had one of the first and it took some time to get the extraction right, but It WAS NOT that big a deal.  I have added the new 97S with the full length rail and the stainless bolt and carrier, love it.  If you get trouble out of the extractor it is usually because there is too much gas.  A .040 hole in the screw holding the gas tube in and it runs like a swiss watch.  3.9 lbs, and quick detach mazzle brake.  I have one for sale if you are interested, the 97S, as I have 5 AR's and I will always have a composite one.

Kentlik
[email protected]

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You might also want to check and see if PO is going the bankrupt route - be careful and do your homework.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Pro Ordinance Car 15, under 4 pounds empty....
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder why the triangle guards are that much heavier than the round guards?  Thicker plastic or more hear shielding?  I'm seriously tempted to go with the CAR 16" but since I'll be putting together a post-ban I might go for a plain muzzle barrel & have it turned down to CAR specs.  Don't particularly want or need a muzzle brake to increase noise & add weight.  My project won't be as light as it could be because I plan on using an early M16 buttstock (non trapdoor).  

Holding the triangular ones side by side with the A2 type reveals the plastic to be much denser and thicker than the round handguards. Also the heatshields are of thicker aluminum without as many holes in them.

Model 1 Sales had a post ban pencil thin 16" barreled flat top upper that was really light. It was even lighter than my similar preban because it did not have the flash hider and bayo lug of the preban.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Here, I'll throw another option your way.

You may want to consider the Lightweight CAV15 group purchase going on over at Full-Auto.com (www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002661).  If we can get 10 on board, the price drops to $600.  The general concensus is that it's between 5.5 & 5.75 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]
PLEASE: do any of you have any suggestions about where to get ORIGINAL[Colt/Fairchild]-STYLE/LOOKING forged-alloy upper(s) WITHOUT the "forward-assist", BUT WITH the carrying-handle-sight & the triangular fore-end hand-guard & AN ORIGINAL "SUPER-SKINNY"/"pencil"-look BARREL [especially if I can get one WITHOUT any flash-supressor or brake, my only PREFERED departure from the original look, just the "super-skinny"/"pencil"-style barrel] to build my Colt/Fairchild "Sporter"-type AR-15? I would like to build it on the new one-piece polymer lower that Cavalry Arms is producing! If I could, in addition, find an upper  WITHOUT the "bolt-forward-assist" that is carbon-fiber [rather than alloy] that would be also way cool. Please post your reply or e-mail me direct: <[email protected]>
Danke~schone!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top