Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 10:03:44 PM EDT
I bought a cheap punch set and the 3/32 brass punch got bent out of shape when I tapped out the roll pin in the charging handle.  It seems pretty soft and I'm wondering if a punch set from Brownell's would be sturdier?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I will have to let you know...I just decided to order the Roll Pin Punch Kit #230-100-000 to give it a try. I have flattened the ends of a few pins and thought this set may solve that problem.

MT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Just assembled an upper & lower using the Brownells roll pin punches. Worked great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
well i cant understand for the life of me why buy roll pin punches? or any punch. all you need is a drill if you dont have a drill press. and the correct size nail. turn it down with a file to form the shoulder and the tit. hell i made a punch to drive out the front sight pins on an ak, and those suckers are tight. and i made that one out of an old steel cleaning rod. a good starter punch is a nail set ground and polished smooth on the end.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a few installs and broke one already.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The Brownells punches are steel, hard enough to do the job, they also have a retainer on the end so the punch stays centered on the pin, and they have a handle, they are well worth the small price that Brownells charges.

My time is worth more money than it would take to manufacture a punch!

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5551&title=ROLL+PIN+PUNCHES

These make assembling the lower much easier:

230-100-003 roll pin punch #3

230-100-004 roll pin punch #4

Small Package Rate
Lightweight orders (less than 13 ounces) can be delivered First Class through the USPS for only $3.70

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Lyman punch set about 6 months ago. I have assembled 6 lowers with it and no problems. 1-800-225-9626.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I finished up with a steel punch but I'd rather use Brass to keep from scratching anything.

For those that bought a punch set from Brownells, is the 3/32 punch soft or stout?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are going to be doing any repetitive assembly and dissambly you need to get a set of steel punches, make does not necessarily matter. I have had cheap ones and high dollar ones and they all eventually bend, break and mushroom out. Craftsman tools have lifetime replacement, which is what I have been using for a while now, so I don't worry when a small punch goes "tink".

Roll pin punches are worth their weight in gold for roll pins, and I highly recommend getting a set if you are going to be working on AR type rifles. They center the punch on the pin. I usually start a pin with a standard punch and then finish up with the roll pin punch.

Brass punches are nearly useless. They mushroom out badly, they WILL marr a finish, and they WILL dent steel, despite what you would think, or what some know-it-all has told you. They are best used when hard beating is required to get a part OUT, where steel punches would terribly distort the steel. Removing handgun sights, such as on a 1911, comes to mind, but I start with a wood punch made from a dowel, first.

Marring can be minimized by adding a drop of lubricant to the surface being "punched". This reduces the friction between the two surfaces, however slip-off is more likely, so you may want to pinch the pin and punch with your fingertips, thus holding them together.

I have a lot of professional experience working on guns, just not AR rifles.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks sniperdoc
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you're going to have trouble with any brass punch that small.  Any steel roll pin punch should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think you're going to have trouble with any brass punch that small.  Any steel roll pin punch should be fine.

+1.  Use brass for finishing things...tapping them home.  Not for removing pins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're going to only do assembly I recommend vise grips instead of punches. It's so easy, they're like hand held press. Less chance of damage to the lower.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Fortunately my set came with steel punches so I'm good.  When these crap out no biggie, I'll try out Brownell's brand.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top