Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 4:03:34 PM EDT

I'm looking for a good IR light for night vision - home defense, so it doesn't need to be powerful and reach far distances. I also want something that will minimize or eliminate the red IR glow as much as possible. I was looking at a Surefire M952V, but seems to be a lot of $$$ - understand they are good quality. However, I don't ever see it published as to what the wavelength of the IR light is.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You want an IR for night vision for home defense?  You plan on stalking robbers through your house wearing night vision?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You want an IR for night vision for home defense?  You plan on stalking robbers through your house wearing night vision?
View Quote
 No, it's for the hogs that slip through the cat door.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You think the M952V's are expensive?  They can be had all day on the EE, brand new in their original packaging, for $150-$200.  For someone who has NV, I wouldn't consider that expensive at all.

Be forewarned though, that specific model has had issues with flickering light output.  I guess there is something wrong with the design in the head.

Personally, I'd just pick up an M300V.  They can be had for right around $300, if not a little bit less if you shop around.  Here's one for $300.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't see a damn thing in the world wrong with that. If he has his kit ready he can just throw it on, and chances are the intruders won't be able to see shit but he will. As long as he has it ready to rock ahead of time, I'm not seeing the unrealistic part. Dude could live in a mansion for all we know
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't see a damn thing in the world wrong with that. If he has his kit ready he can just throw it on, and chances are the intruders won't be able to see shit but he will. As long as he has it ready to rock ahead of time, I'm not seeing the unrealistic part. Dude could live in a mansion for all we know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is hard enough to get fully jocked up with NODs when I am awake.  I can't envision getting my weapon, NODs, and getting everything on/functional in the amount of time you would have during a typical break in.  Plus, most houses have a lot of ambient light from clocks, ovens, microwaves, and whatnot...so NODs are not as helpful.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is hard enough to get fully jocked up with NODs when I am awake.  I can't envision getting my weapon, NODs, and getting everything on/functional in the amount of time you would have during a typical break in.  Plus, most houses have a lot of ambient light from clocks, ovens, microwaves, and whatnot...so NODs are not as helpful.

YMMV.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

I see it like reload practice. Practice makes faster,and like I said he could live in a big ass house, which would give him plenty of time. I dont know why somebody would be against somebody else buying NODS, but im all for it SSP. Hog hunting with NV looks fun as hell, as does intruder hunting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't imagine using NODs for typical home defense. A good white light is what the job requires.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Using NV for home defense really depends on the situation. If the threat is already in your home or in the process of entering your home, ie just broke out a window and is trying to climb through it, you dont have the time to completely gear up, you will be lucky to have enough time to grab your rifle and MAYBE toss on a plate carrier, assuming its meaning up against the wall next to your firearms. Plus unless you have a massive home NV isnt really necessary, i have a 2000 sqft home and one tap of the weapon light pretty much illuminates the whole floor im on.

Thankfully ive never had to defend myself but ive had a couple times when i thought it was the real deal. One being a pizza delivery man who was at the wrong house at 11:30 at night banging on my door another was when a racoon/dog/deer knocked over and broke a glass patio table and it sounded just like my kitchen window breaking. Both scenarios there was the initial shock of "OMG is this really happening?" and absolutely no warning and little if no time at all to prepare myself, just going to grab my pistol felt like it took forever, combine that with my wife, family and dog freaking out in the back ground i cant possible imagine having been able to put on my helmet and activate my night vision, and manage to maneuver through my home in all of that chaos..

With that being said NV still is useful, if you hear noises outside of your home you have a time and distance buffer between you and your threat and you can use NV to investigate whats out there without alerting them to your presence. Ive used my PVS-14 to investigate a neighbors car alarm going off, my trash can being knocked over, someone on top of my house (ended up beign a family of racoons) and some kids who were yelling running around the neighborhood. NV has its time and place but i dont think fast response to a imminent threat is one of them.

BTW i use a Surefire X400V IRc for my white light, IR light and IR laser.

~S
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Using NV for home defense really depends on the situation. If the threat is already in your home or in the process of entering your home, ie just broke out a window and is trying to climb through it, you dont have the time to completely gear up, you will be lucky to have enough time to grab your rifle and MAYBE toss on a plate carrier, assuming its meaning up against the wall next to your firearms. Plus unless you have a massive home NV isnt really necessary, i have a 2000 sqft home and one tap of the weapon light pretty much illuminates the whole floor im on.

Thankfully ive never had to defend myself but ive had a couple times when i thought it was the real deal. One being a pizza delivery man who was at the wrong house at 11:30 at night banging on my door another was when a racoon/dog/deer knocked over and broke a glass patio table and it sounded just like my kitchen window breaking. Both scenarios there was the initial shock of "OMG is this really happening?" and absolutely no warning and little if no time at all to prepare myself, just going to grab my pistol felt like it took forever, combine that with my wife, family and dog freaking out in the back ground i cant possible imagine having been able to put on my helmet and activate my night vision, and manage to maneuver through my home in all of that chaos..

With that being said NV still is useful, if you hear noises outside of your home you have a time and distance buffer between you and your threat and you can use NV to investigate whats out there without alerting them to your presence. Ive used my PVS-14 to investigate a neighbors car alarm going off, my trash can being knocked over, someone on top of my house (ended up beign a family of racoons) and some kids who were yelling running around the neighborhood. NV has its time and place but i dont think fast response to a imminent threat is one of them.

BTW i use a Surefire X400V IRc for my white light, IR light and IR laser.

~S
View Quote

Agreed. It just depends what the intruder is doing and how much time you have/how big your home is
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Pre-installed IR room lights on 24/7 FTW?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
streamlight ir led is awesome.  

here

they eyesafe version is this led with a very nice ir laser

if you also want white light too  there are some real deals in thEE
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's enough douche bags around, the World doesn't need one more...

Edit:  OP, check out a DBAL2; just picked one up and the IR illuminator on it is like switching on a flood light...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
What I've never understood about the NV for home defense thing is: how are the bad guys navigating your house if it's that dark?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you already have an IR laser?  That would be the thing to get 1st.  TNVC has a lot of options of everything.

Sounds good to me if you can afford it.  Step 1 after bump in night, grab weapon.  Step 2, assess, if time throw on any gear/body armor you have.  Step 3 assess, if time, toss on a helmet with NODs already mounted, wouldn't take but 10 seconds or so.  This assumes they are still trying to get in and not already inside and moving towards you.

Everybody's ambient light situation and home size is different.  For every situation where NODS wouldn't make much sense, there is a setup where it would.  The bigger, darker and more secure the home, the more it makes sense to me.  And if you own NV already, might as well have it ready to use, you can always decide NOT to put it on if there is no time or it doesn't fit the situation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Surefire will replace a bad head for free no questions asked. I bought a broken one off ebay and sent it to them and they replaced it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Why not install a 12v ir light in your house with a photo capacitor and cheap cctv 12v back up battery.  The floods cost 25$ on eBay and come with a 120/12v the back up cctv Batt is like 20$ and plugs into the ir unit.  
Then you have passive illumination when you need it and don't have to rely on active illumination giving you away and you save about 100$.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Surefire probably makes some of the toughest IR lights but they're $$$.   If you're on more of a budget the Inforce WMLs are a great option.   Here's a video of it and a PVS14 in use FWIW....

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would say first and foremost, no matter what you do in your home to protect yourself and some loved ones. Get the proper training from a qualified source whether that be in NV and/or firearms.  It's not just about showing off how it looks with NV on U-Tube at night.  Get that proper training as there is so much more that goes into Night Vision movement and shooting.

Vic Di Cosola
View Quote

Truth.  All the best gear in the world is worse than useless if you don't know how to use it properly.  It can become a hazard to you and put you in very compromising situations.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I have old russian gen 1. When there is a white light on it whites out, effectively blinding me. Are newer gens better? Can still see with a small light on?
Problem I see is: if it were totally dark, how would the intruder be seeing? He most likely has a light. If he shines it at you, you're blind. I have enough lights on in my house I can pretty much see at night anyways. Does anybody keep their entire house pitch black all night? You set condition Dog Zebra every night?

I almost bought a night vision scope for hunting varmets a couple weeks ago, but honestly I think I have enough lights out around my barn yard that I couldn't use it.

I mean the OP no offense, just giving you things to think about.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top