Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2008 8:14:29 AM EDT
I'am looking at this one and wanting input on others as well.
Here in Mesa AZ at safe city is where I looked at this safe.

!. Does anyone have a summit safe and do you like it?
2. What do you look for in a safe?
3. Dial lock or electronic locks? Which lock is your choice and why?
4. Are 1 Inch Bolts enough to do the job? How many also?
5. Fire protection? What do you think is required?
6. Price? I do know buy what you can afford, but bang for the buck?

Trying to hold at $1500.00 limit.

SUMMIT SAFE - RAINIER EDITION.   SR 35  -  36"x60"x28"  -  800 lbs

This is the safe I'm looking at.

Any advice you can give would be helpfull. Thank You.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

no sorry
wall thickness, in all walls not just the door, also thickness of floor and celing.  Also look at the warranty.  If something goes wrong you don't want to have to pay freight to get it back to the manufacturer.  Also when they send you a new safe you would rather have it delivered into your house instead of just the curb.
3. Dial lock or electronic locks? Which lock is your choice and why? I like the electronic lock because it is faster and I can change it as many times as I want.
4. Are 1 Inch Bolts enough to do the job? How many also?  I think so.
5. Fire protection? What do you think is required?   If you live rather close to the fire department then I would say an hour is okay, maybe an 1.5 hours.
6. Price? I do know buy what you can afford, but bang for the buck? It is all up to you.  I chose a flat paint to gain some size.  If looks are important than you might want nicer paint and a chrome dial.

Link Posted: 6/17/2008 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No, I don't have one.

Many things:
a.  As mentioned above wall and door thickness.  For a residential security container (that's what you are buying not a safe) 10 gauge steel outside and 10 or 12 gauge inside.  
b.  Door thickness 1/2" plate or better (but the best you'll find is 10 gauge for your price point)
c.  Fire protection rating.  UL is the better testing lab.
d.  Bolts on all four sides of the door.
e.  Predrilled floor anchor holes
f.  Genuine S&G lock.
g.  Relockers (more than one system)
h.  Drill deflectors
i.  Water protection
j.  Heat activated door seals

I like the dial lock no batteries to die or change.  Also look for a genuine S&G lock.  Many safe makers just put on an S&G bezel ring around a cheap Chinese made lock.  Have the salesman remove the interior door panel so you can look at the lockworks.

That is probably an adequate size but make sure there are bolts are on all four sides of the door.

In your price point fire protection is nothing more than fire rated sheetrock in the sides of the safe and door.  Safe should have a heat activated door seal.  Most damage to the contents of safes are caused by the firefighters high pressure water hose and not the fire itself so look for so form of waterproofing.

Your price point should get you a fine residential security container.  Go for largest size you can afford.  You will fill it up very quickly and wish you had a bigger safe.

Link Posted: 6/19/2008 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1.  I have that exact "safe" model (Summit Rainier) except mine is a little smaller (SR23).  I like it very much.  It's a quality "safe".

2.  When I was looking for a gun safe my biggest concern was how would it hold up against an attack (ie. robbery attempt).  Like AR15Texan said, you not actually buying a safe.  You're getting an RSC.  Fire protection, warranty and repair were also a major concern.  
Door and wall thickness were major factors, along with bolts on all four sides.  As far as door thickness goes, 1/4" (roughly 3 gauge) solid steel is good.  You will see "safes" offering a thicker door, but in most cases, it isn't solid steel.  If you can find thicker door in your price range, go for it.  It won't hurt.  However, I don't think the kind of guys that would rob a place like mine will be ready to take on a door that thick (my opinion).  Wall thickness was another major factor.  I didn't want anything over 10 gauge.  I've seen video and pictures of guys breaking into 12 gauge "safes" with not much effort.  Granted, they had fire axes, crowbars etc., but it still looked a little too easy.  The model you are looking at has a 1/8" body.  You should be fine.  However, I did go with the upgraded 3/16" (roughly 7 gauge) body on mine.  
I wanted at least a one hour fire rating.  Even though the fire department in my area responds quickly, I think anything less than an hour may be pushing it.
Even though the "safe" is a Summit, it's made by Heritage and Heritage has a good warranty.  They will repair or replace the "safe" if it is damaged due to an attempted robbery, an actual break-in, a fire or a flood.  They even pay for the shipping both ways, from and back to you house.

3.  To me, the lock is a matter of preference.  Just get a good one.  I have an e-lock made by S&G (Sargent and Greenleaf).  I went electric just because I can get into it faster.

4.  1" bolts should do the job.  The more the better.  Go for bolts on all four sides.  Speaking of bolts, whatever "safe" you get; bolt it to the floor!

5.  As far as fire protection goes, your safe is adequate. (1 hour protection with heat activated door seals)

6.  I paid just under $1550 with the upgraded body, the electronic lock, delivery and bolting to the floor.  I think it's great bang for the buck!  There are not many RSCs out there built like that for that price.  

You may want to also check out a company called SturdySafe.  

www.sturdysafe.com/

They make 7 and 8 gauge "safes" that are pretty impressive.  Their delivery and fire protection prices were a little high for me (like you I had a $1500 budget), but if I could have found a way, I would have bought one.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Another active thread...

Click Here

My post for the day.

Cheers
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the reply's. I have learned a lot and will be putting a safe on lay away this week. I keep thinking about the guns I could buy with the money for my safe. I also think about the guns I could loose If I dont have a safe! Thanks all!
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the reply's. I have learned a lot and will be putting a safe on lay away this week. I keep thinking about the guns I could buy with the money for my safe. I also think about the guns I could loose If I dont have a safe! Thanks all!

Same.  And not all could be replaced with the $ they're insured for.

Money can't replace sentiment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I just took delivery of the Danali version...same size that you are looking at. These safes are made by Heritage Safe and are some of the best you will get.

The owner of Safe City is a good guy to deal with, he is a strait shooter and won't stear you wrong.

I spent alot of time looking at safes both locally and on the internet. Summit filled all of my needs and requirments, buy with confidence.

Knucklehead
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Just adding some more good gun safe reading:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Safety/storage.aspx
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top